03 issues?

2 replies to this topic
  • T-Doshi9

Posted November 02, 2007 - 06:33 PM

my friend is looking to get a yzf450. its a 2003. he was told by his dad that the 03's had issues with them like when you lay it down it will not start back up... i don't mean the normal hard start for the 450's but like it will not start for awhile. let it set and then after awhile it will start up like nothing is wrong. he was told that its on not just the 03... but 01 and also 02's... anyone hear of this? i have told him there is nothing wrong with the 03's and that yami has made a great bike with even just the first 450. they played with the 400 for years and then made the 426 before the 450... so all the 'bugs" were out of thier products when it came to the 450. am i wrong with this? and please don't post saying how great yami is..... i know they are good now but were they then? anyone have this bike and have this problem? any fix to it? how long do you have to wait before it will start? is it worth getting a 03 for under 3k if you have the opertunity to? please help... we are going to look at it tomorrow.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 02, 2007 - 08:26 PM

my friend is looking to get a yzf450. its a 2003. he was told by his dad that the 03's had issues with them like when you lay it down it will not start back up... i don't mean the normal hard start for the 450's but like it will not start for awhile. let it set and then after awhile it will start up like nothing is wrong. he was told that its on not just the 03... but 01 and also 02's... anyone hear of this?

I've heard of it, but I don't have that problem with my '03. It's not because it's any different than any other '03, I just learned what the bike wants under that circumstance.
One kick, throttle closed, hot start open
One kick, throttle just off idle, hot start open
One kick, throttle just off idle, hot start closed
It should be running by now, but if it hasn't started, then it gets two kicks with the throttle halfway open to clear the flood, then one more like the first one.
In the rare case that it still hasn't started, then I'll slowly roll the throttle all the way open, and hold it there for 15-30 seconds while I turn the engine through a couple of times slowly. After that, it will start pretty normally. But that's the worst case

i have told him there is nothing wrong with the 03's and that yami has made a great bike with even just the first 450. they played with the 400 for years and then made the 426 before the 450... so all the 'bugs" were out of thier products when it came to the 450. am i wrong with this?

Yes, you are, but it doesn't amount to much. The '03 clutch was grabby, but by now, most have been fixed already. There were one or two other little things about the '03 that were annoying, but nothing big or hard to fix.

and please don't post saying how great yami is..... i know they are good now but were they then? anyone have this bike and have this problem? any fix to it? how long do you have to wait before it will start? is it worth getting a 03 for under 3k if you have the opertunity to? please help... we are going to look at it tomorrow.

Yes they were good then. They were good before that. And yes, a well maintained, well equipped '03 is worth that.

• T-Doshi9

Posted November 03, 2007 - 05:51 AM

great thanks gray.... thats what i was looking for. im going to look at it tonight and if its in good condition we will hopefully be bringing it home tonight. thanks for your post. very informative!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.