rekluse e-axle saved me $6500!

4 replies to this topic
  • cbreakin

Posted November 02, 2007 - 04:44 PM

First a little back ground, I have an 05 yz250 2T desert bike and an 06 yz450F dedicated track bike. I never really had any issues with the 06's handling at the track, mostly due to fact that I'm slow there and chalked front end push and traction loss up to rider error or track conditions. The other day my buddy hit me up to ride track, so on a whim I took the 250 2T. That bike handled great! I couldn't believe how fast and smooth that thing was in the corners, I was carrying so much more corner speed, and was able to clean tables out of turns that I wasn't able to do on the 450. Needless to say for the first time I was dissapointed by my thumper yami. So much in fact I began a quest to make that bike handle, or sell it. I installed fresh tires, 739 rear and 952 front (replacing that awful 739F) and the e-axle set at -1mm, (24mm of offset). What a difference! This bike flat out rips in turns now, no more "pushing" super reliable tracking, front end feel, and insane lean angles. The front of the bike feels so planted and confidence inspiring! I'd say this thing obviously handles different from, but on par with the 05 2T. Long story short, I'm no longer down on the 06 450, and have a new found love for this bike!:worthy: No more looking at 08s! Current set-up for the 06 450 is: Dunlop 952 front 739 rear, forks raised to 6mm, sag set @ 98mm, e-axle set @ -1mm (24mm offset)scotts stearing stablizer, and stock suspension. Sorry for the long post.

• todds924

Posted November 02, 2007 - 05:05 PM

First a little back ground, I have an 05 yz250 2T desert bike and an 06 yz450F dedicated track bike. I never really had any issues with the 06's handling at the track, mostly due to fact that I'm slow there and chalked front end push and traction loss up to rider error or track conditions. The other day my buddy hit me up to ride track, so on a whim I took the 250 2T. That bike handled great! I couldn't believe how fast and smooth that thing was in the corners, I was carrying so much more corner speed, and was able to clean tables out of turns that I wasn't able to do on the 450. Needless to say for the first time I was dissapointed by my thumper yami. So much in fact I began a quest to make that bike handle, or sell it. I installed fresh tires, 739 rear and 952 front (replacing that awful 739F) and the e-axle set at -1mm, (24mm of offset). What a difference! This bike flat out rips in turns now, no more "pushing" super reliable tracking, front end feel, and insane lean angles. The front of the bike feels so planted and confidence inspiring! I'd say this thing obviously handles different from, but on par with the 05 2T. Long story short, I'm no longer down on the 06 450, and have a new found love for this bike!:worthy: No more looking at 08s! Current set-up for the 06 450 is: Dunlop 952 front 739 rear, forks raised to 6mm, sag set @ 98mm, e-axle set @ -1mm (24mm offset)scotts stearing stablizer, and stock suspension. Sorry for the long post.

Good post!!! very good information!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted November 02, 2007 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience with the e-axle. Good to know.

• 642MX

Posted November 02, 2007 - 05:33 PM

Great post! I've looked at the E-Axle on there website, but I've never heard if it was worth a hoot or not.

I may look into getting one, thanks for sharing the info. :worthy:

• cbreakin

Posted November 02, 2007 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for the replies! I'll go a little deeper into the actual e-axle. Let me start put by saying this is a well made product, the fit and finish on it is exellent. Functionally, it's very solid, however is dose have slight drawbacks one considering purchasing the axle may not think of until they already have it. Ill get into those later. I read a few threads regarding the e-axle and two main points keep surfacing, it's strength, and the practicallity of running it permanantly rather than as a testing tool. I'm not an expert, however in my evaluation the axle's strength isn't even an issue, it's very solid in it's design, materials, and construction. When installed, the axle is very well suported. I believe if you experience a situation where the force would be great enough to damage the axle, you probably have a tacoed rim, and several other damaged major components. Now the issue of permanently running it, there is no reason why you cant, but just like any other add-on aftermarket product it will require additional attention (I would check that the fork lower pich bolts are torqued properly before every ride). Now to the slight issues. #1, it's an eccentric axle meaning when you adjust the offset, the wheel dosen't just go back and forth, in fact it gose back and down, and forward and up, if that makes sense. So adjusting offset isn't just as easy as adjusting the axle, you may want to compensate for the rise or fall in front ride height by adjusting your fork height, all be it, this is a very slight adjustment. On the yz450 @ the -1mm setting it added 1 to 1.5mm to the front ride height, and as you adjust to the more extreme settings on the axle the increase/decrease in height is exagerated. Issue #2, your brake rotor is attached to your front wheel, and the caliper to the fork. The e-axle moves the wheel/rotor around, changing it's "contact patch" with the brake pads. Again, these are very slight changes, in fact @ the -1mm setting you still have 100% pad to rotor contact (due to the rotor being slightly over sized on the yamaha, but at some of the extreme +mm setting you would loose a slight amount of rotor contact. Not enough to probably make a difference, but you do. In a nut-shell this is what I think: If your not sure what off-set will work best for you in the conditions you encounter most, or you encouter a bunch of differnt conditions and like the ablity to adjust specificly for the track or trail your riding at the moment, or 189 bucks from the thumper talk store for an e-axle sounds more reasonable than $400 for offset clamps the e-axle is deffinatly worth it. If your rich, and or have had an opportunity to test serveral different offsets and know exactly what you want, the tripple clamps would be a cleaner solution. Or if your like me and already have an aftermarket billet top clamp (to rubber mount the bars and accomidate a scotts damper more cleanly) in the stock offset and it makes you sick to spend big $ on something you already have, get the e-axle.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.