WR-450 2005, power and torque changes vs. mods

8 replies to this topic
  • tmckeown

Posted November 02, 2007 - 01:33 PM

Hi,

I finally got this done.

Here is my WR-450 2005 model which I've been modifying to get more power and torque, but mostly consentrading on torque.

1st phase was started with changing exhaust to Acropovich slip-on and put in Twinair airfilter gauge and filter.

2nd phase was porting head and changing to Silmotor complete exhaus, due the noise problems with Acropovich. I didn't get to start in one race :worthy: I had 100 Db's with new muffler material.

3rd phase was putting Hotcams intake cam and changing to Vortex ignition.

You'll do the math. Now it is a whole different bike to ride :worthy:

Power: http://www.bikepics....ctures/1075664/
Torque: http://www.bikepics....ctures/1075665/

Timo McKeown

• JSanfilippo

Posted November 02, 2007 - 01:42 PM

Dyno runs with a knobbie eh?

• erickdj

Posted November 02, 2007 - 08:54 PM

Damn, the torque gains are VERY impressive.

• erickdj

Posted November 02, 2007 - 08:56 PM

judging by the graphs and the mods, it looks like the best investment was with the vortex ignition and the hotcams cam. I might think about that stuff for my bike down the road...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dmoney1074

Posted November 02, 2007 - 09:23 PM

Whats 40 kw in hp??

• tmckeown

Posted November 03, 2007 - 05:25 AM

Whats 40 kw in hp??

1Kw = 1.36 HP
1 Nm = 0.737562 lb-ft

These mods have done so that none of them are removed. I've just been doing more modification.

Biggest difference is/was exhaust by far.

Next thing for my bike will be playing with different modified ignition charts.

Problem with dyno result as in this case is that dyno has done in 5th gear from 4000 rpm throttle flat out until revlimiter. How many of you can do this in real life on a real track? :worthy:

So you won't be able to judge more than one ignition chart out of 6 which Yamaha uses. Ignition charts are changed thru TPS-sensor.

You also need to drive the bike to get feeling is this the way you want your bike to be. I was doing some testing last weekend on a sand track and I only used 1 yes 1 gear on the whole track. Torque is incredible :worthy:

Timo McKeown

• erickdj

Posted November 03, 2007 - 07:27 AM

1Kw = 1.36 HP
1 Nm = 0.737562 lb-ft

These mods have done so that none of them are removed. I've just been doing more modification.

Biggest difference is/was exhaust by far.

Timo McKeown

I already have a stock yz race muffler on my wr, so ignition box and cam would be next.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 03, 2007 - 08:03 AM

I have an 05 and I assumed that it had all the power I needed available at the right wrist.

wouldn't mind shaving some lbs off of it. I did gear it down a bit (13/48) looking for a little more throttle response in second.

I'd definitely like to try the vortex to see how it would affect. I'd like just a little more low end in third though.

Nice mods. I'll have to try these.

• JSanfilippo

Posted November 03, 2007 - 08:57 AM

Dyno runs with a knobbie eh?

Oh I understood 40 hp....I'm an idiot :worthy:
40kw X 1.36=54.6 hp

:worthy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.