Racerx Canada 2008 450 Shootout

37 replies to this topic
  • adamdf

Posted November 02, 2007 - 07:44 AM

http://www.racerxcan...a-450-shootout/

Enjoy (Or Not) :worthy:

• rmzRacer293

Posted November 02, 2007 - 08:07 AM

:worthy: I dont really agree with much of anything they said in that. My friends brother has an 08 kx450 and i didnt like it that much. I like my 06 yz450 more than that. Also it didnt seem like any of them were to impressed with the new zook. I havent rode one but i thought it was going to be their year. Also a little surprised with how much they liked the KTM. Most mags always say how much better they are every year then put them at the bottom of the rankings come shootout time. good read tho.

• matts06yzf

Posted November 02, 2007 - 08:57 AM

THey are nuts get a pipe and she comes alive. Its stupid how awesome this bike is. I have pulled every Holeshot of every moto I have raced it And I am a big guy. Its damn near cheating

• lilyanna

Posted November 02, 2007 - 09:03 AM

Hey folks the idea behind these test is to help educate use a little and to listen to some opinions of other people. This is not a Bilble but a reference mAgree or not I was waiting for these reviews and i do appreciate the work they do.....:worthy: :worthy:

• Ga450owner

Posted November 02, 2007 - 10:17 AM

Great point...reviews are like toilet paper...some good some bad....until you ride each of them....you are going by what someone else says and feels....and that is most likely different than you.
What I see is that no one can go wrong with the Yami, Kawi or Honda(not necessarily in this order)...and then the KTM
But the Zuk is a first yr attempt at EFI...and I have said all along that it will not be primetime its first year......this was agreed on by every tester....
and it still pops....no wonder it is not released fully yet....:worthy:

Honda EFI want to be's.....be glad, very glad it did not come on a 08!

• NorCal

Posted November 02, 2007 - 10:38 AM

Great point...reviews are like toilet paper...some good some bad....until you ride each of them....you are going by what someone else says and feels....and that is most likely different than you.

:worthy: Great metaphor!:worthy:

• vpmx

Posted November 05, 2007 - 04:44 PM

Updated to include some pro's giving opinions on the 2008 450's: http://www.racerxcan...e-pros-thought/

• adamdf

Posted November 05, 2007 - 06:37 PM

I replied in the CRF450R forum, thanks for the update! I think the Honda and Kaw are the easiest bikes to get a comfortable confident feel on (they need little setup) from what i am reading. I say this because it took some time to get my 06 YZ250F dialed and for me to feel extremely happy with it the way i am now, i think this may have to do with the fact that Yamaha has taken a different approach at frame design, and while revolutionary or unique (even possibly superior), as long as you are not a Yami rider, it will take time to get accustomed (atleast with the first year 06s) and then you realise what you've got - a seriously competitive bike.

• moto867

Posted November 05, 2007 - 07:00 PM

THey are nuts get a pipe and she comes alive. Its stupid how awesome this bike is. I have pulled every Holeshot of every moto I have raced it And I am a big guy. Its damn near cheating

Not every one wants to spend that much cash on a new bike and then have to plunk down another few hundred on a new pipe just to get it to where some others already are stock.

• twenty34

Posted November 05, 2007 - 08:03 PM

http://www.racerxcan...a-450-shootout/

Enjoy (Or Not) :worthy:

I'd say it's pretty accurate.:worthy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 05, 2007 - 08:30 PM

I'd say it's pretty accurate.:worthy:

Is that to say that you've had a chance to ride an '08 YZ450, or just that you agree as to the Honda?

• twenty34

Posted November 06, 2007 - 05:59 AM

Is that to say that you've had a chance to ride an '08 YZ450, or just that you agree as to the Honda?

Agree with the Honda and by all ride reports on the YZ, I'd tend to think Honda's engine is pretty strong in comparison. Strictly speaking on the engine, of course.

I know the YZ is a nice bike....I drool just looking at them.

Put RC and Bubba on any color and we both know who the winner is.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 06, 2007 - 06:34 AM

Well I got the chance to ride the 08 hon and Kaw last weekend. All I can say is both these bikes have power compared to the 08 yam with the stupid stock pipe(I rode one of these several weekends ago)...I agree, it is a shame that a yami owner has to spend 500-1000 on a pipe just to get the power of the rest of the 08 stockers. I actually enjoyed the Honda the most as it turns, very little push and has linear power(but is is that ugly Red). The Kawi does handle very similar to the yami (yes the front does push more compared to the Honda, especially on slick hardpack)), but the motor is sweet. Reminds me of my 06 yami. Since I am not in the mkt for a new bike this year it does not matter but now that I have ridden yami, kawi, and hon....my choice would be for 08 new bike sale
honda
Kawi
Yami
Zuk/KTM.....not even a consideration

Now in fairness....I hate hondas 2 oil system, and stupid Airfilter. I am not a fan of green motorcycles and legacy of kawi's falling apart...but most importantly I am not a supporter of paying over 7k/8k for any Jap dirtbike.....
So If I was going to buy any 08...it would be slightly used in the 5k-6k range...as SuperX starts here soon...everyone will buy new bikes...and most will be sold with 3 rides or less on them...with "injury or wife mandates sale" in a used MX market that is totally in the toilet for the seller:excuseme:

• grayracer513

Posted November 06, 2007 - 07:12 AM

Put RC and Bubba on any color and we both know who the winner is.

Either one of them could win races in a lime green shopping cart.

Now in fairness....I hate hondas 2 oil system, and stupid Airfilter.

Yes, the CRF air filter is, um, legendary (can you say PITA?). But I disagree in principal on splitting the oil supplies. That's one of the things I like about the bike. What I don't like is that it's a wet sump and has such a tiny oil supply for the engine. If it had a divorced transmission AND a dry sump engine with at least a 1.5 qt capacity, it would be more like it.

• adamdf

Posted November 06, 2007 - 09:06 AM

Well I got the chance to ride the 08 hon and Kaw last weekend. All I can say is both these bikes have power compared to the 08 yam with the stupid stock pipe(I rode one of these several weekends ago)...I agree, it is a shame that a yami owner has to spend 500-1000 on a pipe just to get the power of the rest of the 08 stockers. I actually enjoyed the Honda the most as it turns, very little push and has linear power(but is is that ugly Red). The Kawi does handle very similar to the yami (yes the front does push more compared to the Honda, especially on slick hardpack)), but the motor is sweet. Reminds me of my 06 yami. Since I am not in the mkt for a new bike this year it does not matter but now that I have ridden yami, kawi, and hon....my choice would be for 08 new bike sale
honda
Kawi
Yami
Zuk/KTM.....not even a consideration

Thanks for the good info man! So you have decided that if you were to buy an 08 this year, it would be the Honda. I know just like me, you have been pondering over the Yam, Kaw, Honda. The more i read on here, the more it seems that you just can't knock the Honda this year, or the Kaw, but the Honda still seems to have a bigger fan base.

• Climber

Posted November 06, 2007 - 09:33 AM

I rode an 08 honda crf450r. It is that good, out of the box. The motor is better than my 06 yz450f. The suspension is unreal (and that is with no clicker adjustments as it is not my bike). The front tire feels like it is on rails on a flat turns. I really liked it. If I was in the market for a new bike this year, I would be very interested in it.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 06, 2007 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for the good info man! So you have decided that if you were to buy an 08 this year, it would be the Honda. I know just like me, you have been pondering over the Yam, Kaw, Honda. The more i read on here, the more it seems that you just can't knock the Honda this year, or the Kaw, but the Honda still seems to have a bigger fan base.

Adam thanks I appreciate it...I am just stating the facts as I see them after riding the top 3. I see you are on the fence with what to buy.
All are good bikes
The Yami's which I have been on since 98 have been great bikes but for me I have had to invest lots of money to get them right for me....suspension, ergos, handling etc......
With bikes costing +7k it just seems frustrating to me to have to factor another 1k -4k or more to make them right for me....this is just getting ridiculous IMO. This is why I am on a 06 that has been tweeked, modded and blinged. I have no trouble passing 07s and 08s and the fun factor is at its highest.....and when I want more than most any man can handle, I jump on my 03 BB with full Enzo. Together unfortunately my 03 and 06 total cost equals ....... lets just say I could almost buy 3 08s:cry:
So as long as I am having fun on older bikes.....there is no new bike coming anytime soon...at least this is what I keep telling myself:naughty:

• grayracer513

Posted November 06, 2007 - 11:18 AM

I've ridden CRF's. The latest one was an '07. I have to say that they are an impressive motorcycle in a number of ways, and I could probably get used to most of what I don't like about them. But at this point, and for many years prior, it has always come back to reliability.

Is the '06, '07, or '08 YZF as good as a CRF? It's debatable. It depends in part on what you like. They are both outrageously good, from any historical perspective spanning more than 8 years. But prior to '06, it clearly was not debatable, and even given that, I would not have owned a CRF in place of a YZ450. I don't have the time or the money to put into as much major maintenance as CRF's have needed in years past. Now that things seem to be improving for the red bike, that could change. But not yet, I think.

• swaldrop

Posted November 06, 2007 - 11:24 AM

Finally, after all of the talk about not wanting to spend any money on their brand new bike, someone mentions the very real issue that Honda has with their engines, more specifically their valves.

There is no real need to spend any money on a new YZ. Mine works great.

There is however a required expense if your valves go TU. Now I have not owned a CRF, so I am only stating what I have read many, many, many times about these bikes.

• rickallen124

Posted November 06, 2007 - 11:26 AM

I was debating between the honda and yamaha myself. In the end I decided that the Yamaha would be easier to adapt to since I have very little 450 time and am coming off a YZ250F. I got my YZ450 for $6,500 which is a little cheaper than the honda so that helps if I want to get a pipe. All the bikes are great these days. If I'd been riding a crf250 I probably would have bought a honda. The other thing that persuaded me was how much yamaha stands behind their product when others would just tell you "it's a race bike deal with it." The 06 YZ250F was a great example, yamaha didn't have to replace all of the intake valves on that bike but they did. I love how durable the yamaha is.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.