2004 Yz450f

8 replies to this topic
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted November 02, 2007 - 06:17 AM

I am looking into buying a 04 450. I am pretty new to the 450's and dont know all that much about them. The guy said that he is the second owner-first owner raced it in the 40+ class (does that mean age?) and that he only put about 10 hours on it. Its got a yoshi pipe, rental bars, and a couple other things. What are the most common problems with these bikes? What problems should I look for? About how much would you guys say its worth?

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 02, 2007 - 06:34 AM

also, how hard is it to add a head light?

• grayracer513

Posted November 02, 2007 - 07:10 AM

I am looking into buying a 04 450. I am pretty new to the 450's and dont know all that much about them. The guy said that he is the second owner-first owner raced it in the 40+ class (does that mean age?) and that he only put about 10 hours on it. Its got a yoshi pipe, rental bars, and a couple other things. What are the most common problems with these bikes? What problems should I look for? About how much would you guys say its worth?

It's not age, it's speed. The 40+ class is 10 mph up on the 30+ class, and the 50+ and 60+ are just crazy. :worthy:

Just kidding, it's age.

At ten hours, about the only thing that might be wrong is dirty oil or filters. At high hours, some of the 450's will develop a problem with the higher gears skipping, but most don't. It's probably worth about $3k these days, maybe less.

also, how hard is it to add a head light?

Difficult and expensive unless it's battery only. You need to rewind or replace the stator to include a lighting coil, the output of the stator is small, and parts from a WR won't fit.

• tnl

Posted November 02, 2007 - 08:05 AM

Difficult and expensive unless it's battery only. You need to rewind or replace the stator to include a lighting coil, the output of the stator is small, and parts from a WR won't fit.

If your looking just for the min. like finding your way back to the truck after a trail ride then about $300 will get it done. That's if you do it yourself and it's easy. A $55 headlight, $50 rear fender with light included and a $180 stator (50 watt output), a $30 rectifier if led lights and at a min. a regulator, plus wire and connectors and a little patients. Assuming that the 2004 model is almost comparable to the 2005 model?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Unibomber

Posted November 02, 2007 - 08:07 AM

My last bike was an '04. Keep in mind its a four speed. I had zero problems with mine, its light and nimble. The clutch issue was fixed for '04 from the '03. It was a great bike. Sold mine for 4k in '05 and it was pimped out, but I was injured and pissed off so off it went. Now look what im doing, gonna get another blue bike..........:worthy:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 02, 2007 - 08:40 AM

2 new pieces of info.... its a Canadian bike, and it doesnt have a title. what complications could no title cause and how would i check if it has a lien or if its hot?

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 02, 2007 - 12:13 PM

anybody?

• tnl

Posted November 02, 2007 - 01:25 PM

2 new pieces of info.... its a Canadian bike, and it doesnt have a title. what complications could no title cause and how would i check if it has a lien or if its hot?

Complications: Getting arrested for possessing a stolen bike (even if you didn't do it), Not being able to register your bike etc... Call your local police department before you buy it and ask them?

• snowdog

Posted November 02, 2007 - 04:31 PM

will the local P.D. be able to check all of the U.S. and Canada?

get a bill of sale singed by the seller with address and copy of there drivers lic. you may loose your cash but this should keep you out of jail.

2K to 2500.00 tops

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.