Pulling Double Trailers In California

15 replies to this topic
  • Dube2

Posted November 01, 2007 - 12:03 PM

Anyone know the real truth to pulling doubles in california. I spoke to a CHP Officer from Brawley today and he said the law changed about three years ago that a Class 1 is required.

The same rules apply, same test, same requirements. Drug test, doctor approved physical and if you get one ticket no matter what you're driving, NO TRAFFIC SCHOOL ALLOWED!:worthy: :worthy: Can somebody give me the real skinny on this.

• esbotto

Posted November 01, 2007 - 01:01 PM

Yes. Class 1 and the first towed has to be a 5th wheel.

• witdogg

Posted November 01, 2007 - 05:19 PM

Yes. Class 1 [COLOR="Red"]and the first towed has to be a 5th wheel.[/COLOR]

Has the law changed recently because I know a few years ago that wasn’t the case?

• esbotto

Posted November 01, 2007 - 07:18 PM

A buddy of mine wanted to tow his Sea Doo behind his 5th wheel and looked into it. That's where I got my info. Some interesting info here. http://www.dmv.ca.go...48/dl648toc.htm. Couldn't find info on doubles.

• TobyG

Posted November 01, 2007 - 07:25 PM

I'm not sure on the Class 1 license part but, it sound right.:worthy:
However, on the 5er 1st that IS correct. In Calif. you can not have two pull behinds. It can be a 5er and then a pull behind providing you've covered all of the other requirements.:worthy:

• witdogg

Posted November 02, 2007 - 01:13 AM

I still can't find where it says you can't have two tow behinds together. Can someone point out where in the California law it says that?

• Chickenhauler

Posted November 02, 2007 - 01:22 AM

I still can't find where it says you can't have two tow behinds together. Can someone point out where in the California law it says that?

I know I've found it somewhere, but can't remember offhand right now. Will do some research tomorrow night when I'm at home and a have a better connection speed.

I do know the reason for using a 5'er as the #1 trailer is because the hitch point is over the rear axle, instead of extended behind the axle, reducing the chance of the rear trailer starting to "wag", and dragging the front trailer and tow vehicle with it.

Another point that many neglect (and isn't often enforced) is when a combination's total weight reaches a certain point (vary's by state) brakes are required on all axles. This would apply to a Sea Doo or small utility trailer also.

• witdogg

Posted November 02, 2007 - 01:41 AM

I know I've found it somewhere, but can't remember offhand right now. Will do some research tomorrow night when I'm at home and a have a better connection speed.

Cool thanks…

Another point that many neglect (and isn't often enforced) is when a combination's total weight reaches a certain point (vary's by state) brakes are required on all axles. This would apply to a Sea Doo or small utility trailer also.

Seems like it would be hard to find a Jet Ski trailer with brakes. :worthy: Someone must make them.

• Chickenhauler

Posted November 02, 2007 - 01:54 AM

Seems like it would be hard to find a Jet Ski trailer with brakes. :worthy: Someone must make them.

You can add brakes onto just about any axle-with either a bolt-on kit, or weld on the tabs to the axle, or just toss the original axle and replace with an axle that is complete with brakes.

• pfunk

Posted November 02, 2007 - 09:49 AM

You can add brakes onto just about any axle-with either a bolt-on kit, or weld on the tabs to the axle, or just toss the original axle and replace with an axle that is complete with brakes.

yeah, it ends up being cheaper to replace the whole thing

• esbotto

Posted November 02, 2007 - 11:56 AM

One other thing to consider—you may only tow a single vehicle
with your Class C driver license. You may not tow two vehicles or
trailers with a Class C license. (Example: You cannot tow a boat trailer/
boat and car behind your motor home or pickup/camper.) Found this on page 27 here. http://www.dmv.ca.go...dl648/dl648.pdf

• Chickenhauler

Posted November 02, 2007 - 06:38 PM

Allright, it was easier than I thought:

NOTE: No passenger vehicle regardless of weight, may tow more than one vehicle. No motor vehicle under 4,000 lbs. unladen may tow any vehicle weighing
6,000 lbs. or more gross. (VC §21715)

From page 5 of the PDF file http://www.dmv.ca.go...dl648/dl648.pdf

• witdogg

Posted November 02, 2007 - 06:50 PM

Has anyone found out where it says the first trailer must be a 5th wheel to tow doubles?

• Chickenhauler

Posted November 02, 2007 - 07:08 PM

Has anyone found out where it says the first trailer must be a 5th wheel to tow doubles?

I found where it says you can't, no matter what with a passenger vehicle.:worthy:

Edit: CA doesn't classify light trucks as a "passenger vehicle" but as "commercial vehicle's" no matter what the use is. That's messed up, but only one messed up thing on a long list.

• Trucker Kev

Posted November 02, 2007 - 10:56 PM

The law that required the frist trailer to be a fifth wheel and the second to be a water craft went away a while ago in CA. You may tow two pull trailers, BUT you need a COMMERCIAL class A with a doubles endorsement. Also, you are restricted to 65 feet in overall length. You also don't need brakes on the second trailer if it is under 1500 lbs and you can still meet minimum stopping distance requirements (it's all in the vehicle code, just don't remember that section right now). CA vehicle code section 12804.9 covers all of the licensing requirements.

Kevin

• witdogg

Posted November 03, 2007 - 06:26 AM

The law that required the frist trailer to be a fifth wheel and the second to be a water craft went away a while ago in CA. [COLOR="Red"]You may tow two pull trailers,[/COLOR] BUT you need a COMMERCIAL class A with a doubles endorsement. Also, you are restricted to 65 feet in overall length. You also don't need brakes on the second trailer if it is under 1500 lbs and you can still meet minimum stopping distance requirements (it's all in the vehicle code, just don't remember that section right now). CA vehicle code section 12804.9 covers all of the licensing requirements.

Kevin

I knew it! People never believe me when I say that, thanks for the info. :worthy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.