My best mod 13/45

5 replies to this topic
  • heavyhitter

Posted November 01, 2007 - 07:18 AM

I have done of mods here and there but the best thus far, and the cheapest.... I geared down more. I am running 13/45. before that I could bearly power wheelie in 1st now (14/45) I can even get it up in 2nd in the grass (just spins in the dirt). I wanted to do 14/48 but the damn nuts are so tight on the rear sprocket I couldnt get em off, the bike had new sunstars front and rear and a moose chain when I bought it. He must have torqed the hell out of em. The only problem is I think the 13 might be too small be cause I think the sprocket retainer might be touching the chain, I will ride it a couple of mile and then take it off and look for wear.
I can now ride in tight trails in 2nd gear, the rear wheel breaks loose at will and EASY 1st gear power wheelies. I dont really ride on the highway so I like the acceleration and torque at the cost of top speed. I think I might try 13/48 if I can get the back sprocket off then I will have motocross like gearing, I will probbaly have to go to a full knobby to ride in the dirt then.

• martinfan30

Posted November 01, 2007 - 07:43 AM

cheaper, the better!

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 01, 2007 - 07:45 AM

A 13 front works fine, it just wears a little quicker than a 14.

Replace it when it starts to hook, 2 or 3 13 tooth sprockets for every rear sprocket/chain.

They're cheap, though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cefox

Posted November 01, 2007 - 07:49 AM

i'm running 13/45 on mine.with a white bros E2,hot cam,uni,dave's mod, desmogged (IMS), desnorkledsoon to have a powerbomb.the gearing is the best bang for the buck if your on road is limited.

• cleonard

Posted November 01, 2007 - 08:57 AM

As far as I can tell there are only two very minor downsides to running a 13 countershaft sprocket and both are wear related. Because of the smaller diameter the chain will be on the swingarm a little more than with a larger sprocket. The chain has to bend a little more to wrap around the smaller sprocket than it would wit a larger one.

Like I said both of these are very minor concerns. I might be sensitized because my chain did wear through my slider a few months ago. I caught it before the chain ate the swingarm though.

I have found that running 13/48 does help a lot when on the super tight single track. It allows me to stay in second in places where I had to shift into first before.

• Denn10

Posted November 01, 2007 - 09:11 AM

Gearing is the best thing ive learned over the years, dont have a selection for the L yet But my YZ250 i have run from 15/42 to 13/51 and i have about 6 or so different combos in between.

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.