Trouble getting an AIS removal kit

12 replies to this topic
  • cm2echo

Posted October 31, 2007 - 08:26 PM

I ordered an AIS removal kit when I bought my '07 in Aug. and keep getting told by my dealer that it is on back order. Is anyone else having this problem?

• erickdj

Posted October 31, 2007 - 09:20 PM

I ordered an AIS removal kit when I bought my '07 in Aug. and keep getting told by my dealer that it is on back order. Is anyone else having this problem?

I bought my bike in June and had the same problem, dealer kept on telling me that it was on back order for 2 months!! at one point, they told me that they had gotten the kit but the needle was bent, so they had to send it back. I finally canceled the order and got the jetting parts one by one, ended up being cheaper that way. I got a few pilots and main jets, an NFPP needle, and a 40 leak jet. I also got some o-rings elsewhere and some epoxy. I used the o-rings for the AP mod and filled my AIS pump with epoxy to disable it. I ended up happier that way and for less $$$. Get the jets, needle, o-rings and epoxy and ride happy....:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

also, if you ride at any california SVRA parks, don't remove the smog pump, they might check for it and give you a ticket i they see it's gone.

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 31, 2007 - 09:49 PM

Get an assortment of vaccum plugs at an auto parts store. That will take care of the fitting on the airbox and intake.

Buy a piece of 1/4 thick steel and use the end of the metal hose (where it goes into the head) as a template. Cut the steel with dremel tool and drill the two holes and that takes care of the block off plate. Remember to use the metal gasket thats under the AIS fitting or there won't be a seal between the head and the block off plate.

After that, buy an assortment of small thick o-rings to wire the accelerator pump and a 165 and 168 main jets (170 if you have a wide race pipe). The 45 pj will actually work good if you turn the fuel screw out...erickdj should be able to tell you how many turns out with the stock 45pj. I run the 48pj and the sweet spot is 1.25 to 1.5. The '06 or '07 YZ needles work well in this bike, don't know about the '08.

I used the JD jet kit. It came with 4 mains (160, 165, 168, 170), a pilot jet (48), two needles (red and blue), and a couple of o-rings. I think it was worth the money :worthy:

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 31, 2007 - 09:57 PM

BTW "disabling" the AIS by filling it with epoxy is just as "illegal" ( :worthy: ) as removing it completely. See these pumps pop when you let off the gas (some more than others) so a ranger at an SVRA would be able to tell if its been disabled.

Its not the ranger's fault though, they're just inforcing a section of the vehicle code C.A.R.B. tells them to :worthy:

Every other state could care less, but CA just has to be different :worthy:

• Haro

Posted October 31, 2007 - 10:12 PM

I was just at the dealer today...The info that they had was that the part was on back order out of Yamaha. Target date for a Yamaha release is Nov 14. Then they are predicting another 1 to 2 weeks after before I will have mine in my hands.

• erickdj

Posted November 01, 2007 - 11:57 AM

BTW "disabling" the AIS by filling it with epoxy is just as "illegal" ( :worthy: ) as removing it completely. See these pumps pop when you let off the gas (some more than others) so a ranger at an SVRA would be able to tell if its been disabled.

Its not the ranger's fault though, they're just inforcing a section of the vehicle code C.A.R.B. tells them to :worthy:

Every other state could care less, but CA just has to be different :worthy:

JSanfilippo is right, any form of disabling the smog pump is illegal in california. The advantage of filling it with epoxy is that it will stay on the bike, so you would pass a "visual" inspection, a ranger would have to really be trying to give you a ticket if they are "inspecting" the way your exhaust sounds, popping sounds and all. The only way they could really know that the pump is disabled with epoxy is if they literally take it off the bike and take it apart, which I'm sure they couldn't do for no reason. You could easily "argue" that your pump might be "defective" from the factory and that's why your bike doesn't "pop". In fact, even just changing the jetting on your bike or adjusting the fuel screw is just as illegal as it changes the way the bike functions compared to stock form.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted November 01, 2007 - 01:40 PM

JSanfilippo is right, any form of disabling the smog pump is illegal in california. The advantage of filling it with epoxy is that it will stay on the bike, so you would pass a "visual" inspection, a ranger would have to really be trying to give you a ticket if they are "inspecting" the way your exhaust sounds, popping sounds and all. The only way they could really know that the pump is disabled with epoxy is if they literally take it off the bike and take it apart, which I'm sure they couldn't do for no reason. You could easily "argue" that your pump might be "defective" from the factory and that's why your bike doesn't "pop". In fact, even just changing the jetting on your bike or adjusting the fuel screw is just as illegal as it changes the way the bike functions compared to stock form.

Screw the feds, screw CARB, screw the greenies, and screw greenie sympathizers:thumbsup:

I'll do whatever I need to do to my bike to make it run right. :worthy:

• JSanfilippo

Posted November 01, 2007 - 01:46 PM

B.T.W any form of tampering with an emmisions or noise control device is illegal by the letter of the law as per the EPA (The EPA has adopted CA standards)...technically its illegal nationwide. So in addition to what Erick said removing the baffle or replacing it with a PMB insert on the stock muffler or replacing the muffler completely is illegal.

Yes, putting an FMF Q4 on your 07 is illegal (by the letter of the law).

Like I said. Screw the feds, screw CARB...etc... :worthy:

• erickdj

Posted November 01, 2007 - 04:36 PM

B.T.W any form of tampering with an emmisions or noise control device is illegal by the letter of the law as per the EPA (The EPA has adopted CA standards)...technically its illegal nationwide. So in addition to what Erick said removing the baffle or replacing it with a PMB insert on the stock muffler or replacing the muffler completely is illegal.

Yes, putting an FMF Q4 on your 07 is illegal (by the letter of the law).

Like I said. Screw the feds, screw CARB...etc... :worthy:

Yeah, it's ridiculous what little changes are illegal by the letter of the law. Interestingly enough, they only enforce parts of it. I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket by a ranger for having an aftermarket muffler, as long as it meets their db ratings and has a USFS spark arrestor. Pretty funny. I'm sure most of us here, even the ones that swear they never break the law, have "illegally" modified bikes. It's the world we live in......... Screw all of them making the "rules":p :worthy: , it felt pretty good this monday to ride at Hollister SVRA with a yz450 stock muffler that very likely puts out a good amount of db's, didn't get bothered by anyone. The guy at the gate only checked for a spark arrestor and didn't ask anything further.

• Island Boy

Posted November 02, 2007 - 12:09 PM

The 06 AIS kit will work for the 07, you just have to modify the block off plate where the AIS pipe comes out of the head. TT Member Murray Dorward sent me a how-to with pics. It was so easy and it works fine. If anyone wants a copy, PM me your email address and i will send it to you.

• KennyMc

Posted November 02, 2007 - 12:47 PM

If you don't mind paying the shipping, it appears these guys have them in stock.

http://www.chaparral...BDA32853EC53023

• Michigan DS

Posted November 02, 2007 - 08:16 PM

Buy the Thumper Talk AIS removal kit for the 07. I had the same problem and ordered the -01 (07 GYTR kit) and was sent the kit for the 06 that does not include the block off plate. However I did use the shorter throttle stop that came with the 06 GYTR kit. After getting tired of waiting, I ordered the TT AIS removal kit, had it in a few days and it works great.
http://shop.thumpert...MPERTALK_AISSRK

Good Luck,
Doug

• TWILES

Posted November 03, 2007 - 11:49 AM

They told me the same story when I tried to get one for my 05. I bought the TT kit. I'm glad I did. Its a lot cleaner looking. All you need past the TT kit is the YZ needle, throttle stop, and a few jets.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.