DIY stator rewire

4 replies to this topic
  • platterdr

Posted October 31, 2007 - 05:53 PM

I've heard about this but have questions.

1. are there step by step instructions on this site? I looked but no luck
2. are there any downfalls to doing this yourself?
3. how will I no my voltage when done?
4. can't think of 4 but i'm sure I will later

BTW this is on a 650L

• cleonard

Posted October 31, 2007 - 07:08 PM

The stators on the off road bikes come with most of the poles on the stator not wound. Not so with the 650L. It has all the poles already wound. There is not anything to be gained by rewinding. It also uses a 3 phase regulator so the winding is a little different that the single phase used on the dirt bikes.

I think that the 650L is rated at 180 or 190 watts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • platterdr

Posted November 01, 2007 - 12:49 PM

So if I do electrical add on's such as hardwire GPS,12 volt outlet for compressor,heated grips and maybe wire for heated vest. This will not effect my bikes electrical system?

• martinfan30

Posted November 01, 2007 - 12:58 PM

So if I do electrical add on's such as hardwire GPS,12 volt outlet for compressor,heated grips and maybe wire for heated vest. This will not effect my bikes electrical system?

just need to add up the total wattage use of all the accessories.

• cleonard

Posted November 01, 2007 - 12:59 PM

Just add up the watts and be sure it is under the max. To be sure the battery stays charged it might be better to keep it under 150 to 160 or so until you get some experience with how many watts it actually makes. Don't know what the baseline electrical usage is but I would guess between 75 and 85 watts. That leaves 90 to 100 or so to play with.

The alternator only makes full wattage at mid RPMs. At idle the output is a lot less, so when you have a max load don't idle for long. For those first tests at max wattage a voltmeter would be a good idea so you can be sure that the battery stays charged.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.