xr650L hotcam report

101 replies to this topic
  • Denn10

Posted November 05, 2007 - 01:15 PM

just hang your ass off the rear and youll get it LOL

Sorry VEE i was mistaken Martin is to slow he cant do em yet.

• flyin vee

Posted November 05, 2007 - 01:30 PM

Ya right!! LOL!!!, Maybe with a 200lb back pack Denn. I need more power, Ive been tossing around the idea of getting the CR500AF by Service Honda as a pure off road bike and keeping the XRL for dual sporting here in upstate NY. Ill have to sell my soul to afford it but at least it makes tons of power without being high a strung maintenance hound,ala crf450r.

• martinfan30

Posted November 05, 2007 - 01:47 PM

just hang your ass off the rear and youll get it LOL

Sorry VEE i was mistaken Martin is to slow he cant do em yet.

when you dont have an ass, this method is incorrect!

• martinfan30

Posted November 07, 2007 - 11:14 AM

after riding it for a few days in a row, i want to change my initial thoughts.
the bottom end really hasnt changed.

what i think was happening is this. i run a fcr with a uni pod filter. the intake pulses are very noticable.

now they are VERY noticeable. im thinking my subconcious was hearing all this new intake noise at lower throttle angles than before(more lift and duration), telling me hey, this thing seems to be bogging a little!

keeping this all in mind now, it actually feels stronger from bottom to top.

am i nuts? wait, dont ask my wife "why are you taking that thing apart again!!" LOL

• BeeDub

Posted November 07, 2007 - 12:36 PM

Dude, now you guys have got me thinking about spending waaaay too much money on the bike I bought because I got a good deal on it! Oh, and because it's supposedly proven reliable and has a plate, now if I could just figure out the crappy electrical issue...

Already, everything I asked for for X-mas is stuff for the bike, and I won't get half of that, and it doesn't include anything you guys are talking about here. Do any of these mods kill the reliability/longevity of the bike???

P.S. I'm used to my old WR coming up on me whenever I want, with just the free mods, power is good, now I need a speed bump, haha...

• martinfan30

Posted November 07, 2007 - 12:48 PM

any time you add HP, you can reduce the longevity of the engine.
also if parts are installed incorrectly or if the engine is reassembled dirty you obviously will have issues.

the way i see it, the mods i do are worth it for the power cuz stock is boring!

doing each mod in steps has allowed me to see and enjoy what each project has brought to the table.

• Frank ZX

Posted November 07, 2007 - 01:14 PM

Hey Martinfan,I got my Hotcam yesterday.I'm going to install it Friday.Any advice or anything I need to look out for?You mentioned a special tool,What is the tool used for?Is it possible to make the tool?

• martinfan30

Posted November 07, 2007 - 01:23 PM

Hey Martinfan,I got my Hotcam yesterday.I'm going to install it Friday.Any advice or anything I need to look out for?You mentioned a special tool,What is the tool used for?Is it possible to make the tool?

the tool is to hold the cam chain tensioner against the head for easy removal of the cam. i did it with out but would be alot easier with.

the part number is in the honda manual. cleonard says the clymer manual has a trick to tie the tensioner with some wire... this would work too. when you get it apart you will understand better.

you can reuse the valve cover gasket just clean all mating surfaces well and use a hi-temp grey silcone (applied in a very THIN coat on both sides of the gasket. its a metal gasket. use plenty of quality cam lube also.

also use some bailing wire to tie the cam sprocket with the chain attached to the frame above it. the chain will come off the crank sprockett if you give slack. then you may have to pull the right cover off to realign.

pay attention to the timing marks (sprocket to head) and mark the chain to the sprockett. take your time and itll be a breeze.

• martinfan30

Posted November 07, 2007 - 01:28 PM

hey dont forget to torque EVERYTHING, very important. use blue/medium loctite on the tensioner bolt and cam sprocket bolts.

• Frank ZX

Posted November 09, 2007 - 04:30 PM

Got the Hotcam cam and complete FMF exhaust install today.WOW,it's feels alot better.comes up in second alot easier.I can't wait til I can afford a FCR and hi comp piston.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • absynth01

Posted November 09, 2007 - 08:09 PM

Got that cam and rod and bearings and exhaust and intake etc. etc.. Nice setup for me. I stay with a 650r on the road and trails. 650r would be sic with the same upgrades. I still like the button better. 275 and 6'1"Posted ImageR boys hate this thing

• martinfan30

Posted November 09, 2007 - 08:16 PM

Got the Hotcam cam and complete FMF exhaust install today.WOW,it's feels alot better.comes up in second alot easier.I can't wait til I can afford a FCR and hi comp piston.:thumbsup:

nice! how did you reinstall the tensioner?

• martinfan30

Posted November 09, 2007 - 08:20 PM

nice L absynth. is that a fcr i see?

• Frank ZX

Posted November 10, 2007 - 04:01 AM

I compressed the spring and tied it with wire,droped in place and cut wire and pulled out.I had to remove all motormount bolts so engine dropped in frame,to get cover off.I think it's faster then a XRR now, stock anyways.Normally second gear wheelies are short,now it just pulls and pulls.It soulds different also,eventhou I changed exhaust,It seems to have a lot different sound.I recommend the cam swap to every XRL owner.With the FMF and cam,it sounds and looks like a real hot rod.

• Frank ZX

Posted November 10, 2007 - 04:03 AM

Got that cam and rod and bearings and exhaust and intake etc. etc.. Nice setup for me. I stay with a 650r on the road and trails. 650r would be sic with the same upgrades. I still like the button better. 275 and 6'1"Posted ImageR boys hate this thing

I agree,a XRR would be sick with the same mods.All you stock XRR owners better look out for this XRL!LOL:thumbsup:

• absynth01

Posted November 10, 2007 - 06:04 AM

nice! how did you reinstall the tensioner?

Bought it with the motor done. I wish I had torn it apart myself, but couldn't turn it down. I love when people get in the $hit and have to sell their toys!!!:thumbsup:

• absynth01

Posted November 10, 2007 - 06:12 AM

nice L absynth. is that a fcr i see?

I haven't even looked but was told xr's only worked it. I have just been riding it so far and adding small stuff. Winter is here and time for snowmobiling. It WILL be taken apart soon though. As I said before it stays with an uncorked R on the road, so I haven't really messed with it yet. The goal is to pull all so slightly from the 650R on the road!!:thumbsup: That will piss the boys off!

• martinfan30

Posted November 11, 2007 - 11:46 AM

I haven't even looked but was told xr's only worked it. I have just been riding it so far and adding small stuff. Winter is here and time for snowmobiling. It WILL be taken apart soon though. As I said before it stays with an uncorked R on the road, so I haven't really messed with it yet. The goal is to pull all so slightly from the 650R on the road!!:thumbsup: That will piss the boys off!

HAHAHAHA! a worthwhile goal !!! im in !!:ride:

• martinfan30

Posted November 11, 2007 - 11:47 AM

I compressed the spring and tied it with wire,droped in place and cut wire and pulled out.I had to remove all motormount bolts so engine dropped in frame,to get cover off.I think it's faster then a XRR now, stock anyways.Normally second gear wheelies are short,now it just pulls and pulls.It soulds different also,eventhou I changed exhaust,It seems to have a lot different sound.I recommend the cam swap to every XRL owner.With the FMF and cam,it sounds and looks like a real hot rod.

did you pull the cover cuz the chain came off of the crank sprocket ?

• cleonard

Posted November 11, 2007 - 01:23 PM

The best I can find for the stock cam is in the Honda service manual. it say the intake valve opens at 5 degrees BTDC closes at 40 degrees ABDC. The Exhaust opens at 45 degrees BBDC and closes at 5 degrees ATDC. all at 1mm lift. There isn't any lift given If I understand how the numbers are derived the intake is open for 225 degrees. 5+180+40=225. the exhaust would be open 230 degrees 45+180+5=230. I wonder what the stock XR600R cam is? Unfortunately I don't have a Honda service manual for it.

Tobin

Just found my XR600 OEM manual. It has the exact same numbers for opening and closing for both intake and exhaust.

It seems strange that they are the same. The Honda part numbers are different.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.