xr650L hotcam report

101 replies to this topic
  • martinfan30

Posted November 01, 2007 - 01:42 PM

the green one on the shaft? no. i eyed it over and looked good. just lubed it and i have no leaks(x-fingers)!

• TDC71

Posted November 01, 2007 - 03:30 PM

LOL I did the same thing and always keep lookn for a leak from it. Its been 2000 miles since I did it and its still good.......... but you know how that goes being a tech, .25cent part takes hrs to replace :worthy:

• Bibleman

Posted November 01, 2007 - 04:31 PM

Martinfan, I did not get a cam card with mine, but then again I bought it off a guy on ebay. It is brand new and in the box but the box was opened.

• tobinbakner

Posted November 01, 2007 - 06:49 PM

Martinfan is the loss in the low end something you think you would have noticed if you hadn't ridden it back to back. In other words if I changed the cam now and didn't ride it all winter would I notice it in the spring when I got it out?

Thanks

Tobin

• Denn10

Posted November 01, 2007 - 08:12 PM

MARTIN can you give the specs of the hotcam lift and duration vs the stocker????

• martinfan30

Posted November 01, 2007 - 08:53 PM

LOL I did the same thing and always keep lookn for a leak from it. Its been 2000 miles since I did it and its still good.......... but you know how that goes being a tech, .25cent part takes hrs to replace :worthy:

ya buddy! that is MURPHY!

• martinfan30

Posted November 01, 2007 - 08:55 PM

Martinfan, I did not get a cam card with mine, but then again I bought it off a guy on ebay. It is brand new and in the box but the box was opened.

i contacted the guys at hotcams and they emailed me the cam card.
.15 mm intake and .2 mm exhaust (valve lash).

8.8 mm lift exh/int

258 duration exh/int. @ 1mm.

• martinfan30

Posted November 01, 2007 - 08:57 PM

MARTIN can you give the specs of the hotcam lift and duration vs the stocker????

see the post above DENN. i havent found the stock cams specs yet, but still looking.

• martinfan30

Posted November 01, 2007 - 09:01 PM

Martinfan is the loss in the low end something you think you would have noticed if you hadn't ridden it back to back. In other words if I changed the cam now and didn't ride it all winter would I notice it in the spring when I got it out?

Thanks

Tobin

i really doubt you would notice in that condition. i have been riding EVERY day so i could see the shift from low PUNCH, to ok low end and killer mid-top PUNCH.

i also know my jetting is spot on, so it is the nature of the beast. i would highly recomend doing the cam/hi comp piston at same time for this reason.

• crmc33

Posted November 02, 2007 - 03:17 AM

If you want more midrange and bottom end also think about D shaping the exit exhaust ports. Gives better midrange with no loss of top end power. Dyno proven.
The guy who tuned my head also taold me not to grind the exh ports flush with the headers. A 1.5mm step out into the headers is ideal to stop gas recirculation.
This is why most modern race engines dont have round exhaust port exits.

To D-shape the exh port exit you have to weld the floor of the port exit. Doesnt need much. Then grind to a nice flat.
I have pics of mine if it helps anyone gain a few free HP!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted November 02, 2007 - 07:24 AM

If you want more midrange and bottom end also think about D shaping the exit exhaust ports. Gives better midrange with no loss of top end power. Dyno proven.
The guy who tuned my head also taold me not to grind the exh ports flush with the headers. A 1.5mm step out into the headers is ideal to stop gas recirculation.
This is why most modern race engines dont have round exhaust port exits.

To D-shape the exh port exit you have to weld the floor of the port exit. Doesnt need much. Then grind to a nice flat.
I have pics of mine if it helps anyone gain a few free HP!

love to see a pic! now you got me thinking about doing it. who did your's? cost? would it still be very streetable? im not racing, just a power whore!

• Denn10

Posted November 02, 2007 - 12:57 PM

i contacted the guys at hotcams and they emailed me the cam card.
.15 mm intake and .2 mm exhaust (valve lash).

8.8 mm lift exh/int

258 duration exh/int. @ 1mm.

any idea what stock cam specs are??

• martinfan30

Posted November 02, 2007 - 02:26 PM

any idea what stock cam specs are??

havent found em yet.

• tobinbakner

Posted November 04, 2007 - 08:06 AM

The best I can find for the stock cam is in the Honda service manual. it say the intake valve opens at 5 degrees BTDC closes at 40 degrees ABDC. The Exhaust opens at 45 degrees BBDC and closes at 5 degrees ATDC. all at 1mm lift. There isn't any lift given If I understand how the numbers are derived the intake is open for 225 degrees. 5+180+40=225. the exhaust would be open 230 degrees 45+180+5=230. I wonder what the stock XR600R cam is? Unfortunately I don't have a Honda service manual for it.

Tobin

• crmc33

Posted November 04, 2007 - 01:01 PM

Heres a link to my latest exhaust port shape;

http://www.motopike....es/pic_0072.jpg

other cylinder head images at the bottom of http://www.motopike.com/Supermono.html

HTH!

• martinfan30

Posted November 05, 2007 - 09:16 AM

very nice headwork! that intake looks WAAAAY different than stock.

• Denn10

Posted November 05, 2007 - 09:23 AM

oh well i guess it doesnt matter what stock lift is just curious as 8.8mm is pretty close to .340 lift

• flyin vee

Posted November 05, 2007 - 10:09 AM

+1 on the power whore. I'm trying to imagine the power increase on my L if I added a Hotcam and a 10.1 comp piston. I already have an Edelbrock pumper, Uni and a high flow exhaust. You guys think running 15/48 3rd gear power wheelies would be possible? If so sounds like a good winter project. OZ:thumbsup:

• Denn10

Posted November 05, 2007 - 10:15 AM

martin said his did and he doesnt have the hi comp piston so im sure youd be able to 3rd wheelie no problem

• martinfan30

Posted November 05, 2007 - 11:27 AM

3rd gear right now for me no. no piston. 2ND GEAR can be done with a bar tug. 3rd gear may be poss. after a hicomp piston and a tug on the bar.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.