xr650L hotcam report

101 replies to this topic
  • martinfan30

Posted October 31, 2007 - 05:33 PM

well i got home today after installing the stage 1 cam last night. i set the idle at 2500 for 20 minutes. temps all looked good(had fun with my bluepoint ir gun!). took it out after and first thing i noticed was the low end was not quite as punchy. mid range was better and top end was DEFINATELY better. being at 4300 ft. with 158/52 jetting 2 turns out and a pod filter, i decided to up the main to 160. any one have any jetting advice or is this close enough for my situation?(fcr 41 carb). before 2 nd gear wheelies were tough with some clutch work, now just a tug on the bars gits it up and keeps wanting to go up! now i have to get a 10.5 to 1 piston i think.

overall, easy job, no leaks and some power increase mid-top, with a little loss of bottom. this i think may come back with a hi comp piston? happy i did it though.

• Bibleman

Posted October 31, 2007 - 06:20 PM

I'm glad to hear that your project went well:applause: I'm a bit disappointed hearing the results though. I have a Hotcams stage one cam sitting on my workbench and was thinking about installing it, but if I'm just going to move the power band around a little, I'm not sure I'd go through the trouble.:worthy:

• martinfan30

Posted October 31, 2007 - 06:32 PM

I'm glad to hear that your project went well:applause: I'm a bit disappointed hearing the results though. I have a Hotcams stage one cam sitting on my workbench and was thinking about installing it, but if I'm just going to move the power band around a little, I'm not sure I'd go through the trouble.:worthy:

its not that much trouble though. the overall power gain is worth it, IMHO. maybe i made it sound like the bottom end is dead, its not. i think there is some jetting changes to deal with still. i also think that if i were to do it again i'd put the hi comp piston in at the same time.

another thing, feeling that mid - top end hit, is VERY cool!

• Bibleman

Posted October 31, 2007 - 06:37 PM

Was yours the Hotcam? Also, what kind of manual did you use, the factory Honda manual or a Haynes type?

• martinfan30

Posted October 31, 2007 - 06:40 PM

Was yours the Hotcam? Also, what kind of manual did you use, the factory Honda manual or a Haynes type?

yes the hotcam part # 1004-1. i used the honda manual. i also found out the cam card didnt come with the cam. so i found online the int is .15mm and exh .2mm(valve lash). did you get a "cam card" with yours? and what does it say for valve lash?

• Denn10

Posted October 31, 2007 - 07:59 PM

what gearing did you test it with? your 14F

• crmc33

Posted November 01, 2007 - 01:04 AM

No Cam card with my recent hotcam tho I did get one with my original one I bought 5 years back. I thinks its a good idea to set the tappets on the large side with any hi performance cam.
Its interesting to note that the hotcams come with the sprocket holder built-in now. You used to have to swap the one off the Honda cam onto the hotcam. Theyre a very nice cam I think, very well made for the money.
Not as punchy as the HRC cam but then again it also doesnt need short valve guides/race springs etc, so is an easy upgrade.

• absynth01

Posted November 01, 2007 - 03:59 AM

I've got a hotcam in my bike as well as 10.5-1 piston. I bought the bike with a lot of work done to it. It was well done and taken care of setup for the road. I have never ridden a stock L, but now you make me wonder how much of a dog a stocker is. I bought the bike because i'm ridding with a 650R and they are a B%tch to reg here in NY. This L is close to a uncorked R. My 600R,650L and 650R are all close with the 650's slightly better. I do like the 600 better on trails, but still the selling point for me was the button. People say they can get hot in trails, but have found out the R will get quite hot and spit coolant sometimes. All in all I think the L with the right mods can be a good performer off road, with the road title(factory), and the e-start!!Good luck on your build!!!!

• philipstjohn

Posted November 01, 2007 - 04:42 AM

found out the R will get quite hot and spit coolant sometimes.

Is your "R" uncorked and properly jetted? As soon as mine was dialed in, it has not overheated or spit coolant since. I do notice the coolent level in the tank rise when running slow or at idle, but it has not boiled over since it was properly jetted.

• Kawabuggy

Posted November 01, 2007 - 05:48 AM

For the record, the biggest improvement I noticed with my bike was going to the high compression piston. The piston update was AWESOME!

Then I put in a Hotcam and noticed a little increase in power.. Then I installed full performance exhaust, and that added a little bit more..

Lastly, I jetted the bike, and that made a fairly big improvement. The piston though was the key to all of it! Maybe I did it backwards, but if I had to do it again, I would still do the piston FIRST as it gave me the biggest increase in power across the board.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • machman

Posted November 01, 2007 - 06:20 AM

I'll be able to throw some feedback in here as well in the next couple weeks. I'm just waiting for my Kibblewhite valves and OEM springs to arrive before I can install my Hotcam, 10.5:1 piston, and FCR pumper.:worthy:

• martinfan30

Posted November 01, 2007 - 06:38 AM

what gearing did you test it with? your 14F

15/48. i'm thinking of going 14/48.

• martinfan30

Posted November 01, 2007 - 06:41 AM

I've got a hotcam in my bike as well as 10.5-1 piston. I bought the bike with a lot of work done to it. It was well done and taken care of setup for the road. I have never ridden a stock L, but now you make me wonder how much of a dog a stocker is. I bought the bike because i'm ridding with a 650R and they are a B%tch to reg here in NY. This L is close to a uncorked R. My 600R,650L and 650R are all close with the 650's slightly better. I do like the 600 better on trails, but still the selling point for me was the button. People say they can get hot in trails, but have found out the R will get quite hot and spit coolant sometimes. All in all I think the L with the right mods can be a good performer off road, with the road title(factory), and the e-start!!Good luck on your build!!!!

they truly are dogs stock. what jetting and what carb you run?

• martinfan30

Posted November 01, 2007 - 06:42 AM

I'll be able to throw some feedback in here as well in the next couple weeks. I'm just waiting for my Kibblewhite valves and OEM springs to arrive before I can install my Hotcam, 10.5:1 piston, and FCR pumper.:worthy:

droppin' a lot of cash at once, nice!

• Frank ZX

Posted November 01, 2007 - 07:05 AM

Glad to hear your happy with the cam swap.My cam and exhaust should be here any day now.I can't wait!

• Frank ZX

Posted November 01, 2007 - 07:17 AM

Martinfan,Did you degree your cam?I have a cam degree kit new in the box.Is it worth the effort?

• martinfan30

Posted November 01, 2007 - 07:30 AM

Martinfan,Did you degree your cam?I have a cam degree kit new in the box.Is it worth the effort?

not necessary to do unless using adjustable cam sprocket.
the hotcam has a fixed flange that the sprockett bolts to.

also a tip, if you have a honda , manual order the tensioner tool. makes it much easier! i did it with out but kid of a bitch. plus the spring that rests(under tension) against the inside of the head scraped a little aluminum off during reinstall.

• absynth01

Posted November 01, 2007 - 07:37 AM

Is your "R" uncorked and properly jetted? As soon as mine was dialed in, it has not overheated or spit coolant since. I do notice the coolent level in the tank rise when running slow or at idle, but it has not boiled over since it was properly jetted.

Yes, but this was the extreme of my use. Slow,muddy, swampy trail-lots of gas to stay afloat. I did see a heavier radiator cap mentioned here. This is probably the fix for that. I didn't say the L ended up being better performance wise, but love that e-start, especially in hairy situations!!

• martinfan30

Posted November 01, 2007 - 07:44 AM

its saved me once or twice!

• TDC71

Posted November 01, 2007 - 01:16 PM

Hey Martinfan did you change out that o-ring on the tensioner pin?

TDC71

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.