help please.. quick

5 replies to this topic
  • soudry

Posted October 31, 2007 - 05:13 PM

i'm in the process of greasing my new 08 yz450.
i can't get the "oil seals"(as the menual calls them) out of the wheels.
and therefor cant get to the bearings
how do you tale those sockers out?
just to make my self clear, its those soft black rubber things just before the bearing.
please help me out i'm trynig to get this done before the weekend.
thanx for reading
alon. :worthy:

• todds924

Posted October 31, 2007 - 06:44 PM

i'm in the process of greasing my new 08 yz450.
i can't get the "oil seals"(as the menual calls them) out of the wheels.
and therefor cant get to the bearings
how do you tale those sockers out?
just to make my self clear, its those soft black rubber things just before the bearing.
please help me out i'm trynig to get this done before the weekend.
thanx for reading
alon. :worthy:

I wouldn't worry about the wheel bearings at all. Pay more attention to the steering head bearings, swingarm and linkage bearings.

• soudry

Posted October 31, 2007 - 06:50 PM

ya.. but i think they have the same seals.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • todds924

Posted October 31, 2007 - 08:53 PM

ya.. but i think they have the same seals.

They don't have the same seals. You need to be careful when greasing your linkage bearings though, don't push the bushing all the way out of the bearings or you may risk having some of the needles fall out....then its a pain in the ass. Only push the bushing out far enough to get some grease on the needles. Then push the bushing the other way and grease the other side. You don't need to worry about the wheel bearings, They are sealed I believe. Just do your steering head, swingarm and linkage.

• swaldrop

Posted October 31, 2007 - 09:47 PM

I have had wheel bearings go bad. Not a bad idea to pack them as well and it takes 5 minutes. I don't remove the rubber seal however. I simply pack grease between the seal and the bearings.

• kristylynn9598

Posted November 01, 2007 - 03:34 AM

When I did mine I just pushed the grease in real good with my finger on the wheels, you can feel when it gets full. The little rubber seals never came out except on the linkage the ones closest to the ground when put together fell right out (both sides). It was so dry in there a few of the needles fell out of place too. I thought it was easy to put them back, once I had plenty of grease in there to hold them in place, just don't loose any.

Now I have a question: I rode through a lot of water last weekend at Hatfield McCoy do I need to redo any of these? I was planning on doing them tonight with a sprocket and chain change seems how I am working in the those areas any way.

OK while I have the thread Hi-Jacked.
One more question on jetting.
I put in a 165 main jet and the upper range runs great I tried a 170 and it felt worse so I went back to the 165. The bike would backfire like crazy when I let off the throttle so I went to a 48 PJ now it only pops a little on deceleration not a real backfire so I think that is good from what I have read. Now from 1/4 to 1/2 throttle it runs like a POS it misses and lugs forward sometimes. I think I should raise the needle (make it richer in that range) is this the correct way to move the needle or is this the wrong thing to do for these symptoms?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.