05 WR450 Thinking of Selling...

12 replies to this topic
  • madmikehusky310

Posted October 31, 2007 - 08:22 AM

I have an 05 that I love dearly, but was down at the Yammie dealer the other day and absolutely drooled over the 08. I have about 42 hours on my 05 with a few mods. Acerbis multiconcept handguards, Works Connection side frame guards and radiator braces, Sunline rear brake pedal (flex style), Boyesen accelerator cover, forks just overhauled (new bushings and seals by GP racing Lewiston Idaho), new sprockets, new Michelin S-12 on the rear and Kenda Carlsbad "sticky" on the front, engine is unplugged. Few scratches on plastic but plan on replacing.. What's this thing worth? I need high dollar to pay for 08. Anyone???

Thanks,
Mike

• TWILES

Posted October 31, 2007 - 09:32 AM

I've been asking $4000 for mine for a year and still have it. It doesn't need any new parts. The original one's are still nearly new.

• chakcee

Posted October 31, 2007 - 11:01 AM

I got an 07 WR450 brand new for 4,899.00 from J and J cycles in Massillon OH. at the end of Aug. They said they were getting some more in when I bought mine. If you could live with the 07 you might give them a call. Drove from Bristol to there and back in one Saturday but it was well worth the savings.:worthy:

• jpoehls

Posted October 31, 2007 - 06:55 PM

Keep your 05. You will get somewhere around $3,000 for it.

Your 05 is modded to your riding style and liking. You will not get extra money for the mods, but it will help you sell the bike for blue book re-sale ballpark. Not only are you going to buy a new bike, but you are going to have to make the performance mods like your other bike to get it to your liking.

I agree with above, why are you looking at the 08, when the 07 is the same bike on the meat and potatoes (aesthetic difference with some black covers and perhaps less clutch noise...is that significant?). You can score an 07 much, much cheaper.

I have an 07, but I traded in a heavy pig Zuk DRZ 400S.

You have an 05 WR. Yes, you will get some technological improvements (aluminum frame, gearing, center of gravity...nice but not show stopping) but all the other things are fairly close. I would wait for 09 or 10 for fuel injection and perhaps greater techno improvements that are overwhelmingly clear.

On the other hand, if you have the cash, and money is no object, or you plain have your heart set on it...GO FOR IT! The 07 and 08's are great machines.

Good luck.

• tmckeown

Posted October 31, 2007 - 11:57 PM

I'm waiting until EFI is coming, there is not that much difference with 03 to 08 bikes.

Timo McKeown

• clark4131

Posted November 01, 2007 - 08:11 AM

I'm waiting until EFI is coming, there is not that much difference with 03 to 08 bikes.

Ooh! You're gonna make the aluminum crowd mad now! :worthy:...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tmckeown

Posted November 01, 2007 - 12:10 PM

I have a thick skin :worthy:

Timo McKeown

• TWILES

Posted November 01, 2007 - 05:30 PM

Timo McKeown

I agree. I try to keep up with the WEC and the 05's did just as good against the same bikes the 07's compete with. I'm going to start throwing some money into mine when I get back from this G..D.. $700(for me alone) 7 day trip with my wife and see how it turns out.

• dugabrams

Posted November 02, 2007 - 10:29 AM

That alluminum frame looks sweet! But looks is almost all your gonna get. If you sell your '05 for $3k and get an '08 for $8k, then you have paid $5k for an slightly superior aluminum frame.

I think I just talked myself into keeping my '05.

• TWILES

Posted November 02, 2007 - 11:18 AM

From what I've seen KTM has the one biggest competitor to the WR and it has a steal frame. The WR's sure didn't lose any weight with the alluminum frame and the retail price went up $400.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 03, 2007 - 03:37 PM

From what I've seen KTM has the one biggest competitor to the WR and it has a steal frame. The WR's sure didn't lose any weight with the alluminum frame and the retail price went up $400.

The frame isn't what makes the ktm attractive. Its the lower seat height, higher ground clearance and hydraulic clutch amongst other small things.

If you are a weekend racer, like me, you could buy a ktm, put on some hand guards and a sparky and you're ready to race.

• Unibomber

Posted November 04, 2007 - 07:15 AM

Actually if your use Yamaha's comparison web site an '07 aluminum framed WR is 3 pounds lighter than an '06 steel frame. And after reading a million posts, mag reviews, internet shoots etc...... I would say there is a significant difference between an '07 and any previous model year WR. :worthy: Now I would agree there really is no difference between a '07 and a '08. :worthy:

• Seabass

Posted November 04, 2007 - 07:22 PM

In So Cal nice '05 Wr's are going from $4500 to $4000, but new ones run close to $7,000.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.