heated gear on a xr650r

8 replies to this topic
  • black in RI

Posted October 31, 2007 - 07:12 AM

So does anyone run heated gear onthe xr650r, its obviously a ickstater (2000)
So I wouldn't even know where to hook up a electric jacket in the first place.

Any ideas.. etc would be welcome.

• Billahjack

Posted October 31, 2007 - 07:16 AM

I thought there were some north face jackets with a battery powered heater system for snow sports.

• knuklehead

Posted October 31, 2007 - 08:32 AM

I don't run any gear but do run heated grips,have a rewound stator so could run some gear.

• cleonard

Posted October 31, 2007 - 08:53 AM

To get any serious heating watts you are going to need a high output stator. The stock unit has enough power to run the wimpy stock headlight and not much else.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • abby

Posted October 31, 2007 - 11:34 AM

I have a Gerbing Jacket liner I use on my ST1300 in the winter, it is somewhere around 80 watts (DC). That alone is more than the stock XR stator puts out. Their gloves are around 30 watts. And I don't think the controllers can run off of AC either, probably just have to use a switch.

They (Gerbing) and others do make portable battery powered stuff too, as the other guys mentioned.

http://www.gerbing.c...t/vestlite.html

• Smoke Eater

Posted November 01, 2007 - 06:25 AM

The Gerbing heated jacket is amazing. I especially love the heated collar. I ride year round here in Maine.

• porterdog

Posted November 01, 2007 - 06:48 AM

To get any serious heating watts you are going to need a high output stator. The stock unit has enough power to run the wimpy stock headlight and not much else.

That's the deal, right there. A DIY re-wind isn't all that difficult, however.

• black in RI

Posted November 01, 2007 - 10:50 AM

so if I rewind the stator..... i could then up to what voltage then?
i was going to rewind anyway to get more useable light.

• porterdog

Posted November 02, 2007 - 07:12 AM

I think the hot rewind tip is to use 16ga wire and wind 29-31 turns/pole. Idle output is good, and the overall resistance of the coil is lower with the heavier wire so there's less lost to heat. 14ga you'll lose turns and won't get as much max output.

I never saw any great rewind capacity data, but there is *some* info available on the yahoo 650r group. If you're tech-minded, might be worth a look. I chose this option (16ga) as best for me and figured I'd just keep stacking on electric stuff until I had a problem and then back off a bit.

Note however that the total output of this stator is reputed to be ~225w; you'll need a heavy duty regulator/rectifier. I use the one from Baja Designs.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.