Yz 450 Supermoto turning problems

7 replies to this topic
  • mrpink46

Posted October 31, 2007 - 07:11 AM

Hi guys:
I´m building a YZ450 Supermoto and found that compared to other street motorcycles, the YZ doesn`t turn as much. How can I solve this problem??? My idea is to use the YZ as a street bike, comuting.:worthy:

Thanks for the advice.

MrPink

• swatdoc

Posted October 31, 2007 - 07:25 AM

13mm offset triple clamps by Tristar or Graves Motorsports.
Or, the 12/14mm offset clamps from Red Baron

• mrpink46

Posted October 31, 2007 - 07:54 AM

Sorry for my ignorance. But what exactly is the offset??
I've seen advertisements of 22mm clamps. More offset mean more turning or what??
Is there any place where I can read about offset?

Thanks again for the advice.

MrPink

• grayracer513

Posted October 31, 2007 - 09:15 AM

The offset in a triple clamp is the distance between a line drawn between the centers of the fork tubes and the center of the steering axis (the stem in almost every case).

The offset in the clamp is one of the ways of controlling or changing an aspect of steering geometry called trail. Trail affects both the stability of the bike at speed, and the way the bike behaves as it is leaned into turns at different speeds.

Posted Image

However, I am curious about how you have stated your question. It may be a language problem, for which you are certainly forgiven, but you have said that the bike "doesn`t turn as much". The first response you got has more to do with how easily/quickly the bike turns, and I wonder if you are asking that, or if you are wanting the bike to turn in a smaller circle when making U turns and such?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mrpink46

Posted October 31, 2007 - 11:21 AM

Thanks grayracer513, since I'm willing to use the bike for everyday commuting and dealing with traffic, I do need the bike to turn in a smaller circle when making U turns and twist riding in between cars.

MrPink

• 2wheels-drz

Posted October 31, 2007 - 12:19 PM

I race an 04 yzf450, i found dropping my forks to the 3rd mark helped handling etc.

• grayracer513

Posted October 31, 2007 - 03:30 PM

Thanks grayracer513, since I'm willing to use the bike for everyday commuting and dealing with traffic, I do need the bike to turn in a smaller circle when making U turns and twist riding in between cars.

MrPink

Then you may want to cut back the steering stops a little, but be prudent.

• mrpink46

Posted November 01, 2007 - 03:24 AM

If I cut the steering stops I think the bars could hit the radiators.
Thanks

MrPink

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.