CR style brake lines?

3 replies to this topic
  • slammmin72

Posted October 30, 2007 - 09:02 PM

i need to replace the brake lines on my bike, and i ahve 2 options. "Galfer Front Steel Braided Brake Line" and "Galfer Front Steel Braided Brake Line CR Style" what is the difference (what does the CR mean?) thanks

• cbreakin

Posted October 30, 2007 - 11:18 PM

I'm asuming your bike is pre 05. Any way, the CR style lines route the way Honda CR brake lines have routed for years. All the other manufactures have since adopted the Honda style line routing in 2005 I believe. Basicly CR style routing is more direct and gives better feel.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 31, 2007 - 06:18 AM

The '04 and earlier YZ's run the front brake line down the front of the fork tube, loop it under the front axle through a cast channel in the axle lug, then up into a second loop to the caliper.

The CR style runs down tne front to a clamp where the hose clip on your fork guard is, then crosses behind the fork on the inside, directly to the caliper.

When using OEM hoses, there is a distinctly different, more solid feel to the CR setup by virtue of the hose being shorter. Either Galfer, or any other such high grade braided stainless line, is stiffer than the OEM line in either configuration, because the hose itself has a higher resistance to "ballooning" under pressure.

The OEM style hose from Galfer will be a simpler, bolt-on installation. The CR style is lighter, neater looking, easier to bleed, and since you won't need the plastic cover on the fork lug anymore, it makes front wheel removal simpler, too, and you can run CR style fork guards without the guides on the top. The drawback is that you have to have some kind of clamp to hold the hose on the guards.

I used the white plastic CR style guards from Lightspeed when I did the hose on my '03. They were $40 and have a clamp lug built in. Then I tweaked the hose holding clamp from the bottom front of the OEM hose to solve the clamp problem. The CR routed hose may come with a clamp, too, depending on who's selling it.

Of course, if your bike's an '05 or newer, you can only use the CR style.

• Birdy426

Posted October 31, 2007 - 08:56 PM

Put a Ride Engineering CR style brake line on my WR and was amazed with the change!

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.