no throttle snap

4 replies to this topic
  • 07YZ450F

Posted October 30, 2007 - 08:20 PM

my throttle doesnt snap shut on my YZ450F anymore, the thing that gets me is i have done nothing to it. i havent adjusted anything, i havent played with the carb, i havent even layed it down on the right side. when the bike is off i can pull the throttle back and it sticks in any position but when im riding ive tried pulling the throttle back and letting go and it doesnt stick. i figured it was just because it was getting colder, its been in the 30's every night for the last 3 weeks and 50's and 60's during the day. its not old gas in the carb gumming things up because i run my bike dry before i put it away and its never sitting for more than a week before i start it again. any ideas? maybe i should just play with the throttle cable slack a little? thanx for the help
-dan

• SXP

Posted October 30, 2007 - 08:38 PM

Is the rubber boot that goes over the metal housing for the cable ends interfering with the twist grip? Peel it back and see if you can snap the throttle shut.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • maddogyz250f

Posted October 31, 2007 - 04:30 AM

"when the bike is off i can pull the throttle back and it sticks in any position but when im riding ive tried pulling the throttle back and letting go and it doesnt stick"

Am I reading this right? You are saying the throttle only sticks when the bike is off but works ok when it is running?

• 07YZ450F

Posted October 31, 2007 - 04:58 AM

Am I reading this right? You are saying the throttle only sticks when the bike is off but works ok when it is running?

yep, ur reading it right. i know it sounds weird but it wouldnt stick open when i was riding. this morning i went out there and pulled my throttle tube off. it just seemed to be a difficult twist so i figured maybe some dirt was in the housing. i pulled the tube out a little bit and the twist was a little more free, but i unhooked everything and pulled the tube completely off and all was there was the graphite, no dirt at all. so i was very confused after that. it still seemed to be a tough pull but i didnt have my tools with me and didnt wanna loosen any cables up before work so i gave up and put everything back together and when i got it tightened back it was much better. now im more angry than before because i dont know what was wrong. i didnt get any dirt out or adjust anything so i dont see how i fixed it. maybe the cables were binding and pulling everything out that far freed them up? the snap still isnt as crisp as i think it could be so tomorrow before work ill bring my tools down and adjust my cable play a little.

• almostinvincible119

Posted October 31, 2007 - 06:25 AM

try pullin the tube off. if there is a set of bars on your bike with the plastic insert on the end of the bar (to keep dirt from getting in the bar), check inside the throttle tube to see if it has came off. its easy to check and it happens alot. i just took mine off after a few times of this happening.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.