WR vs. YZF

21 replies to this topic
  • BRP-rider

Posted October 30, 2007 - 09:49 AM

WRs are generally about 20 lbs heavier than YZFs. But the only visual difference is the head and tail lights. Which is not 20lbs. Where is that extra weight coming from?

And with the rumor of 09 e-start WRs the difference is going to be 30lbs.:worthy:

• USED YZ426F

Posted October 30, 2007 - 09:51 AM

Heavier flywheel, charging system, battery, etc, etc, etc. A few ounces here and there and it quickly adds up.

• BRP-rider

Posted October 30, 2007 - 09:53 AM

I wasn't aware WRs had a battery. They have a stator.

• grayracer513

Posted October 30, 2007 - 09:55 AM

And how would an electric starter operate without a battery?

• BRP-rider

Posted October 30, 2007 - 10:11 AM

oops sorry forgot about the e start. When did e-start first appear on WRs.

• grayracer513

Posted October 30, 2007 - 10:15 AM

In 2003, on the first WR450.

• BRP-rider

Posted October 30, 2007 - 10:16 AM

But not on the wr400 and wr426.

• grayracer513

Posted October 30, 2007 - 10:27 AM

That's correct.

• Wiz636

Posted October 31, 2007 - 08:16 AM

Is the 18" rear wheel/tire any heavier or lighter than the 19"?

• madmikehusky310

Posted October 31, 2007 - 08:33 AM

As far as I know the diffs are the starter, the battery, flywheel, headlight, and different muffler can. Also the YZFs had titanium pegs, different cams, and different valving on the forks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dustin_Mabro

Posted October 31, 2007 - 08:39 AM

That's correct.

now i'd guess that it was because of the auto decomp that came along with the 450 correct?

How the hell would E-start work with a decomp lever :worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted October 31, 2007 - 09:30 AM

Is the 18" rear wheel/tire any heavier or lighter than the 19"?

The wheel tire combo with the 18" rear is heavier, yes. More tire.

As far as I know the diffs are the starter, the battery, flywheel, headlight, and different muffler can. Also the YZFs had titanium pegs, different cams, and different valving on the forks.

The flywheel assembly, which includes the starter clutch, is also heavier, and there's a little extra weight in the wiring, switches, etc., for all that other stuff.

The WR has completely different forks, not just valving. The bike has had the same fork as the '04 YZ450 had ever since '05. Somebody should be slapped for that.

now i'd guess that it was because of the auto decomp that came along with the 450 correct?

How the hell would E-start work with a decomp lever :worthy:

You're right again. Auto decomp was mostly to make the e-start possible. Realize that it's a compression reducing system, anmd not a compression release.

Using manual decomp with an e-start would be very tricky, if doable. All I can think of would be to hold the lever, spin the engine and ease of the lever 'til it starts, but that's fraught with possibilities for user error.

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 31, 2007 - 11:37 AM

Using manual decomp with an e-start would be very tricky, if doable. All I can think of would be to hold the lever, spin the engine and ease of the lever 'til it starts, but that's fraught with possibilities for user error.

IIRC the 04 husqvarnas had manual decomp with e-start. The procedure went like this.

Bump the start button until the starter quits turning
Hit the decomp lever and nudge the start button
Release decomp lever and push button until the bike started.

• tnl

Posted October 31, 2007 - 11:37 AM

larger radiators (not sure how much more weight), coolant bottle with lines, o-ring chain, larger gas tank, heaver seat, yes it does add up.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted October 31, 2007 - 11:59 AM

The flywheel assembly, which includes the starter clutch, is also heavier, and there's a little extra weight in the wiring, switches, etc., for all that other stuff.

The WR has completely different forks, not just valving. The bike has had the same fork as the '04 YZ450 had ever since '05. Somebody should be slapped for that.

You're right again. Auto decomp was mostly to make the e-start possible. Realize that it's a compression reducing system, anmd not a compression release.

Do you know everything?

Whats the meening of life....when on a bike? :worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted October 31, 2007 - 03:27 PM

Do you know everything?

No. The last person who could have known everything there was to know would have had to live in or about the year 625 AD. I do try to know what I'm talking about when I say something, though.

Whats the meening of life....when on a bike? :worthy:

Get on a bike in the solitude of a cool December morning after three days of rain, gliding over dunes with your son or your friends, where the only tracks are yours, and the sand turns up moist and brown beneath your wheels. The meaning of life will reveal itself.

• Blueriderc

Posted October 31, 2007 - 04:56 PM

^ Amen!

• 917 rider

Posted October 31, 2007 - 05:12 PM

Do you know everything?

Whats the meening of life....when on a bike? :foul:

gray might not the meaning of life but he sure knows about yamahas:applause: im pretty new to this but you can tell he knows his stuff gray writes i listen:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :eek: :eek: :worthy: :crazy: :goofy:

• todds924

Posted October 31, 2007 - 08:38 PM

I know many people who are die hard Yamaha WR guys who have ponied up for the YZ forks. You are right, Yamaha should be slapped for that one.

• todds924

Posted October 31, 2007 - 08:44 PM

No. The last person who could have known everything there was to know would have had to live in or about the year 625 AD. I do try to know what I'm talking about when I say something, though.

Get on a bike in the solitude of a cool December morning after three days of rain, gliding over dunes with your son or your friends, where the only tracks are yours, and the sand turns up moist and brown beneath your wheels. The meaning of life will reveal itself.

I have heard many many so called "experts" who don't have half a clue what they are talking about. Every time Gray has something to share, It's very informative and right on the mark. Whats even better, if he dosn't know an answer he will go find it then post it. Very good information Gray!!! I WILL see you at a race soon i hope. Guys, if you have a question or need help...Grayracer is your guy.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.