5 replies to this topic
  • UK Bosch

Posted October 30, 2007 - 12:14 AM

Hey all, bit of a clueless newbie here :worthy:

(many) years ago i used to ride 2 stroke mx and then had a long stint on sports bikes. I've just sold it and bought my first 4 banger (04 yz450) with lights and plate to do some trail/woods riding, enduro and maybe a few mx tracks (i'm not exactly track fit).

The problem is when i started it from cold (at night about 5c outside) it started to dump the coolant after about a minute at the most!! I've read on here that they overheat quite quickly but a minute from stone cold...is that normal?

• grayracer513

Posted October 30, 2007 - 06:31 AM

If you're talking about sitting and idling, yes, it's normal. They can begin to push coolant out in as little as two minutes that way keeping the revs up seems to help a little.

Since it's a used bike you may want to check the condition of the cap and the coolant, both of which will contribute to early boilover if they get weak. Have the cap tested, and probably just replace the coolant.

• 642MX

Posted October 30, 2007 - 05:28 PM

And its also important not to over-fill the radiator. The coolant level just needs to be over the core. If you put much more in it, it will puke it out rather quickly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • UK Bosch

Posted October 31, 2007 - 11:36 PM

cheers fellas, thought i'd bought a dud :worthy:

If i could just pick your brains again until i get to grips with this thing. Unbelievably it starts first kick when cold but after 30 secs when i try to pull away it dies unless i very gently build the revs and slip the clutch. Also when it's hot it's a pig to start, the revs hang a bit high when it should be idling and it pops like a machine gun every time i chop the throttle.
I've done a bit of searching on here and i'm guessing it's running too lean and needs a jet change? Is there a way i can tell what i've got in there as it's all a learning curve for me (although i'm not shy mechanically and have no quarms pulling it apart).

That said it pulls like a train and gave me a bigger grin than i've had with any sports bike when i opened her up on a single track for the first time :worthy:
I've just ordered a FMF Q4 to quieten it down before i get an ASBO for riding it through my village to the woods (road registered). Could this pipe make it run a bit richer and maybe solve the problem?

• scalejockey

Posted October 31, 2007 - 11:45 PM

check the plate on the carb slide.It should be flat side down. I worked on a bike with the same problem and that's all it was.

• grayracer513

Posted November 01, 2007 - 06:16 AM

...it starts first kick when cold but after 30 secs when i try to pull away it dies unless i very gently build the revs and slip the clutch. Also when it's hot it's a pig to start, the revs hang a bit high when it should be idling and it pops like a machine gun every time i chop the throttle.
I've done a bit of searching on here and i'm guessing it's running too lean and needs a jet change?

I wouldn't concern myself with the throttle plate. If that's reversed, the bike would be extremely rich off of idle at less than 3/4 throttle. It could have cracked off a corner of it, but that's pretty rare in '01 and later models.

You probably need to adjust the pilot screw. Your symptoms indicate a leab idle circuit. Read:

http://www.thumperfa.../jetting.htm#PJ

Then:

http://www.thumperta...599#post3710599

and:

http://www.thumperta...613#post3350613

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.