Need to lower a WR400

7 replies to this topic
  • TBoysdad

Posted October 29, 2007 - 04:02 PM

Has anyone made a lowering linkage for a '99 WR400? I've seen a few discussions, but all of them fit newer models.

I've been riding for my entire life, and like the bike. I'm just too short to get a foot down, and if I'm on trails, that can be painful.

Aside from carving the seat, is there anything out there to help?

• tweav

Posted October 29, 2007 - 05:49 PM

you could have your shock lowered and revalved for like 200 or so it is better then a link too

• ETP

Posted October 29, 2007 - 06:20 PM

Has anyone made a lowering linkage for a '99 WR400? I've seen a few discussions, but all of them fit newer models.

I've been riding for my entire life, and like the bike. I'm just too short to get a foot down, and if I'm on trails, that can be painful.

Aside from carving the seat, is there anything out there to help?

Welcome to TT.
In my opinion your money would be better spent towards having your suspension modified to lower the bike. The lowering links mess with the bike's geometry.
The big pro suspension shops I talked to wanted $600 to $700 to modify the shock and forks. This usually includes re-valving for your weight, etc.
This would have required me shipping them the parts. Too much $. :worthy:

I found a local guy, small one man shop, who took my bike and lowered it by modifying the suspension. Only $300 parts and labor.
Money well spent.

You should make some calls around your area.

• TBoysdad

Posted October 30, 2007 - 04:03 AM

Hey Guys - thanks for the help. :worthy: I've always had difficulty with dealerships and preferred to wrench my own, but I know nothing about suspensions.

I'll call around and see what I can find. Probably do the seat myself.

J

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR400Fun

Posted October 31, 2007 - 04:59 AM

I cut my seat down years ago. Made a huge difference without screwing up the suspension. In total on the original WR seat I was able to get 3 inches...make sure you shape the sides and round them over good. within 2 rides the harder seat foam softened.
Now my brother just started riding it...he might think differently.
Good luck.

• spunalot

Posted November 01, 2007 - 10:34 AM

If you do lower the rear be sure to have a suspension guy reset (lower) the forks or you will not be able to turn the bike it will snowplow.

• ETP

Posted November 01, 2007 - 11:36 AM

If you do lower the rear be sure to have a suspension guy reset (lower) the forks or you will not be able to turn the bike it will snowplow.

Yes, you want to have the suspension work done by someone with experience. The idea is to lower the front and back without messing with the geometry.

When I had mine done it was like getting measured for a suit. I sat on the bike while the guy did a bunch of measuring front and back.

• kjr247

Posted November 14, 2007 - 06:33 PM

How are going to carve that thin rock hard WR seat? Are you going to stand up when you ride? LOL.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.