greese fitting in neck of frame

24 replies to this topic
  • Justin 314

Posted November 02, 2007 - 03:49 AM

I think I over tightened the spanner nut and let water into the top bearing......found a little rust during the last inspection on the top bearing. Cleaned it and packed with grease, just need to order a new one. Buddies' 06 had the same problem, but don't think he over tightened the spanner nut, anyone have the same issue?

Quick question about that nut. The manual for my 250F (08) says torque spec for that thing was 105 ft/lb. I couldn't get it past 60 ft/lb. 105 seems a bit much too...any thoughts? Maybe a misprint?

• grayracer513

Posted November 02, 2007 - 06:19 AM

Hole drilled in center of bolt.

So, you drilled holes up the axis of the bolt, then cross drilled it? Did you also drill the inner bearing sleeve so grease could get from the bolt side to the bearing side? How did you align the holes in the sleeve with the holes in the bolt?

Tricky work if you can do it, but complicated to the point where it's probably beyond the skill set/equipment capabilities of many home mechanics. It would seem to weaken the bolts significantly, too (the cross hole more than the center hole)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 02, 2007 - 06:24 AM

Quick question about that nut. The manual for my 250F (08) says torque spec for that thing was 105 ft/lb. I couldn't get it past 60 ft/lb. 105 seems a bit much too...any thoughts? Maybe a misprint?

What exactly do you mean by saying that you "couldn't get it past" 60 ft/lb? Weren't strong enough? Bike kept falling over? Nut felt like it was stripping?

The torque actually is 105. What happened?

• mike_dean

Posted November 02, 2007 - 01:23 PM

The bolt on the '00 426 is drilled thru the center from the factory, I cross drilled into that passage and then a groove to the brg, the linkage is way over engineered, If I get time I'll disassemble and take pics of the bolt and race. Some tough drilling and a steady hand. Mike

• motoag93

Posted November 04, 2007 - 07:36 PM

Justin 314, the spanner nut I was referring to is right above the seal. Spec is only 7 nm for that nut.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.