greese fitting in neck of frame

24 replies to this topic
  • 917 rider

Posted October 29, 2007 - 03:05 PM

has anyone tried to put a greese fitting in the neck of the frame to greese the steering bearings, just wondering if it would work:confused:

• grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2007 - 03:11 PM

It would have some chance of working in a steel framed YZF, but you'd need a lot of grease to fill the entire space between the bearings, don't you think? In the case of the aluminum frames, the head "tube" is not a tube at all, but a casting with cavities that open into the steering head gusset area. After filling that with grease, you would have added about 6 pounds to the bike.

• todds924

Posted October 29, 2007 - 03:43 PM

It would have some chance of working in a steel framed YZF, but you'd need a lot of grease to fill the entire space between the bearings, don't you think? In the case of the aluminum frames, the head "tube" is not a tube at all, but a casting with cavities that open into the steering head gusset area. After filling that with grease, you would have added about 6 pounds to the bike.

Sounds like a Polaris quad rearend. It takes 2 tubes of grease to fill the cavity before anything touches the bearings.

• 642MX

Posted October 29, 2007 - 05:28 PM

has anyone tried to put a greese fitting in the neck of the frame to greese the steering bearings, just wondering if it would work:confused:

Not a bad idea, but its kind of a waste of time. Once you pack a good quality grease in the bearings, it stays in there for a long time. (just keep the pressure washer away from it)

• DPW

Posted October 29, 2007 - 07:19 PM

it stays in there for a long time.

Not on the aluminum frame models...

• KAS

Posted October 29, 2007 - 07:26 PM

Did it on an old XR200 once. Takes a lot of grease to fill the head tube up. Kind of a waste.

• 642MX

Posted October 29, 2007 - 07:27 PM

Not on the aluminum frame models...

Why? The bearings in aluminum frames won't hold grease?

• motoag93

Posted October 29, 2007 - 07:30 PM

I think I over tightened the spanner nut and let water into the top bearing......found a little rust during the last inspection on the top bearing. Cleaned it and packed with grease, just need to order a new one. Buddies' 06 had the same problem, but don't think he over tightened the spanner nut, anyone have the same issue?

• DPW

Posted October 29, 2007 - 07:34 PM

Why? The bearings in aluminum frames won't hold grease?

I think I over tightened the spanner nut and let water into the top bearing......found a little rust during the last inspection on the top bearing. Cleaned it and packed with grease, just need to order a new one. Buddies' 06 had the same problem, but don't think he over tightened the spanner nut, anyone have the same issue?

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=432327

http://www.thumperta...t=steering stem

• 642MX

Posted October 29, 2007 - 07:40 PM

^^^ It doesn't seem like everyone is having a problem. :worthy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2007 - 07:45 PM

Many are, however.

But there is a cure (revised bearing with seal):

http://www.thumperta...812#post5374812

• todds924

Posted October 29, 2007 - 08:00 PM

Many are, however.

But there is a cure (revised bearing with seal):

http://www.thumperta...812#post5374812

I had the problem due to my own carelessness. Tired after a day of racing and just wanting to get the bike clean as fast as possible. Pressure washer killed the upper bearing on my 06. I upgraded to the new part #. Very nice bearing compared to the old one.

• mike_dean

Posted October 30, 2007 - 03:46 PM

I put grease fittings in my head, swingarm and linkage on my 00 426, the linkage and swingarm worked good, the head grease if pumped full will drip on the frt fender. otherewise it worked. mike

• USED YZ426F

Posted October 31, 2007 - 09:57 AM

I put grease fittings in my head, swingarm and linkage on my 00 426, the linkage and swingarm worked good, the head grease if pumped full will drip on the frt fender. otherewise it worked. mike

Do you have any pics of the fitting locations that you chose on the swingarm and linkage? I am thinking of doing this to the swingarm and linkage on my '00 426. Taking apart the rear end to grease everything is a pain IMO.

The steering bearings are a lot easier to do and not worth the effort to put a grease fitting on for.

• grayracer513

Posted October 31, 2007 - 10:13 AM

Zerks (grease fittings) must be installed so the the grease has a path to the "inside" of the bearing. This means there must be an area within the bearing bore that is not covered by a bearing race. In the case of the rear linkage, at each pivot point other than the shock itself, there is a pair of bearings, and a small space between them. The holes drilled for a grease fitting must go there, so that the grease will be injected between the bearings, and outward into them.

You will have to identify where on each pivot a fitting can be placed where it will not interfere with the operation of the linkage, and where it will be accessible. There are straight, right angled, and 45 degree zerks available.

Now, why shouldn't you do this? Because pumping grease in this way will push out at least one of the seals at each pivot, allowing grease to escape, and water and dirt to enter. True, if you use a waterproof or marine grease, and you relube each ride, that won't matter as much, but the grease pushed out by the new stuff will gather "stuff", too. Something to think about.

• mike_dean

Posted October 31, 2007 - 05:14 PM

I posted some pics many yrs ago when I did the fittings, I can't find them now, I had it all apart so i could get the fittings in the prime location to get between the brgs, one brg wouldn't work for a fitting, but the rest worked perfect, have not greased my linkage in the last 4 yrs, all original brgs, If I get some time I will take some pics of the locations and post them. Have not had a problem with seals coming out or water getting in and I pressure wash my bike regularly. Mike

• 642MX

Posted October 31, 2007 - 06:29 PM

Now, why shouldn't you do this? Because pumping grease in this way will push out at least one of the seals at each pivot, allowing grease to escape, and water and dirt to enter. True, if you use a waterproof or marine grease, and you relube each ride, that won't matter as much, but the grease pushed out by the new stuff will gather "stuff", too. Something to think about.

My Dad put some zerks in my old KX. I was racing hare scrambles with the bike and about every other race I would break one off and the sand/water would get in the linkage. I wouldn't do it because of that.

• mike_dean

Posted November 01, 2007 - 01:00 PM

Here are some pics of the fittings I put in 6 yrs ago, checked the linkage 4 yrs ago, and not since, bike has over 500 hrs , Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
some are hard to see, like the one under the plastic cap on the right side of the swingarm, but you get the idea. Mike
Maybe this will look better
Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted November 01, 2007 - 06:53 PM

How does the grease get to the bearings from the center of the bolt?

• mike_dean

Posted November 02, 2007 - 03:36 AM

Hole drilled in center of bolt.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.