Regulator/rectifier replacement

2 replies to this topic
  • motomonte

Posted October 29, 2007 - 10:57 AM

A few weeks earlier I posted about problems with the battery and starting the bike.Now that I have my bike sitting while waiting for some suspension parts(seized swingarm bolt/worn bearings)I took the time to inspect the charging system more thoroughly and checked the regulator/rectifier as per manual instructions (oh yes,I finally found it...:applause:tough it is for 79-93 models and includes a supplement for 1991 and later xr650l models ) and it seems to be defective.The ohms readings are fine but at the test where it states that there should be no continuity it fails.Also when checking the alternator stator I'm also getting continuity readings between the yellow wires and ground when there should be none.Do I have both components defective or should I perform a different test?I know that the manual I have is a little old but I figure that the electrics from a '93 650l model is still the same for a '05 one.Thanks for any help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted October 29, 2007 - 11:32 AM

resistance checks are not always accurate. what matters is how a circuit handles a load. resistance could change when the circuit is LIVE.

if you found an open circuit, replace it. if it is supposed to be closed!

• cleonard

Posted October 29, 2007 - 11:58 AM

With the stator disconnected from the regulator the three yellow wires should have no connection to the frame (ground). If there is then the stator is bad. Depends on the reading though. A lot of newer voltmeters are auto range selecting. It might be measuring the resistance through you if the number is 50k ohms or so. If it is 1 ohm then it is bad.

Related Content

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  40 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.