14 vs 18 gauge when re wrapping the stator

9 replies to this topic
  • black in RI

Posted October 28, 2007 - 04:19 PM

i accidentally bought a 14 gauge not 18 gaue wire to wrap the stator.... i'm assuming this is an issue and i'll just return it..

If i can use the 14 gause let me know.... i'm sure i cant as i wont get te expected output vs 18 gauge

• SCOTTTO92

Posted October 31, 2007 - 11:35 AM

i have wrapped a few xr650 stators and I have never heard the results of a stator wrapped in 14 AWG...... might be a little large by the time you are done... how many wraps per pole and how many poles do you plan to do? i used 18 AWG everytime...

• cleonard

Posted October 31, 2007 - 11:48 AM

The main concern is getting enough turns with the larger wire. If you are winding only one coil using all the poles it should be good. The bigger wire is too fat to get two separate windings with enough turns. The benefit is a little larger current capacity of the larger wire.

• suharianu

Posted October 31, 2007 - 12:30 PM

14 gauge is almost twice in diameter then 18 so you wont be able to
put enough windings therefore not enough voltage

• black in RI

Posted October 31, 2007 - 01:47 PM

that;s waht i thought. i ordered 18 today. i must ahve accidentally ordered 14 g... anybody want to buy 14 g :worthy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted October 31, 2007 - 01:47 PM

14 gauge is almost twice in diameter then 18 so you wont be able to
put enough windings therefore not enough voltage

18 gauge is 1.02mm in diameter and 14 gauge is 1.62mm. That makes it 60% larger. However the stock coil only uses 4 poles if I remember correctly. If all 10 poles get wound there will be more turns than the stock unit has in only 4. Even if the wire is twice as big you still end up ahead because there are 2.5 times as many poles to wind. The voltage should be fine.

• black in RI

Posted November 01, 2007 - 06:39 AM

I played it safe and bought the 18 gauge.

how much voltage output can Iexpect after rewinding. I plan on trying to run some heated gear.

• cleonard

Posted November 01, 2007 - 08:49 AM

I played it safe and bought the 18 gauge.

how much voltage output can Iexpect after rewinding. I plan on trying to run some heated gear.

The voltage is proportional to RPM. If it puts out 12 at 2000 RPM, then it's 24 at 4000 and 36 at 6000. This is why a regulator is used. With the regulator you should see 12 volts all the time.

• suharianu

Posted November 01, 2007 - 12:12 PM

18 gauge is 1.02mm in diameter and 14 gauge is 1.62mm. That makes it 60% larger. However the stock coil only uses 4 poles if I remember correctly. If all 10 poles get wound there will be more turns than the stock unit has in only 4. Even if the wire is twice as big you still end up ahead because there are 2.5 times as many poles to wind. The voltage should be fine.

If I am not mistaking there are 2 separate low voltage windings one for ac regulator and the other for dc regulator plus 2 poles for the high voltage that feeds the Cdi-so I am not sure he will have enough poles to wind on.

• cleonard

Posted November 01, 2007 - 12:31 PM

If I am not mistaking there are 2 separate low voltage windings one for ac regulator and the other for dc regulator plus 2 poles for the high voltage that feeds the Cdi-so I am not sure he will have enough poles to wind on.

The stock stator has 12 poles. Two are used for the ignition high voltage winding and four are used for the lighting coil.

The XR650L uses more or less the same stator form, but it is wound differently. There is no high voltage winding and all 12 poles are wound in a three phase delta connected winding.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.