Scotts Damper mounting question

9 replies to this topic
  • Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted March 24, 2002 - 04:04 PM

I have purchased a scotts weld on kit for a 00 wr400 and am looking for feed back on mounting it. Has any one done this. I have the stock triple clamps but run the Thumper 1.5" risers, and scotts says weld on is the only way to go. am I correct in thinking I need to grind the top triple clamp so get the tower pin to fit between the oil filler stem and the triple clamp and will this weaken the clamp?

I also have another scotts for sale for those who may be interested

• Dodger

Posted March 25, 2002 - 11:49 AM

The area of the upper triple that you need to grind away is useless material. It serves no structural purpose what so ever. Grind away :) !

Dodger

• Private_Joker

Posted March 25, 2002 - 01:20 PM

I'm interested in the damper. I sent you a PM.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted March 25, 2002 - 02:31 PM

I have a '99 WR but I use the bolt on tower - around the oil filler. I run an Applied Racing TC & Thumper Racing +1.5" BOLT-ON bar mount/risers. Not sure why you couldn't use the bolt on tower...

Brian

• mcarp

Posted March 27, 2002 - 09:41 AM

Yep, you have to grind it quite a bit. Keep the same wall thickness as the rest of the clamp and you'll be fine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Butterman

Posted March 30, 2002 - 02:48 AM

New mounting system for Scotts dampenersPosted ImageThis WR has a number plate,we're working on the setup that will allow for keeping the headlight.This setup allows for all different bar positions/triple clamps,and allows for a nice soft bar pad.

• leif

Posted March 30, 2002 - 03:04 AM

Do you still have the other for sale? How much?

• bman

Posted March 30, 2002 - 10:35 PM

Originally posted by Butterman:
New mounting system for Scotts dampenersPosted ImageThis WR has a number plate,we're working on the setup that will allow for keeping the headlight.This setup allows for all different bar positions/triple clamps,and allows for a nice soft bar pad.

Boy that's got to be tough to adjust when riding!

• John_H

Posted April 01, 2002 - 12:07 AM

Good point!
After a few miles trying to catch up... Don't need to adjust.

[ April 01, 2002: Message edited by: John H ]

• Scuba_Steve

Posted April 06, 2002 - 09:28 PM

I installed a Scotts bolt-on damper with an Applied triple clamp. I didn't want to go to the weld-on style because I wanted to be able to remove it later if I sold the bike. Using the Applied clamp made it unnecessary to do any grinding.

I did have some problems with the bolt-on mount when I didn't follow the installation instructions exactly. You have to trim the upper bearing seal and do a little bit of grinding to the frame welds at the neck to insure the clamp fits the neck precisely. It slipped loose a couple of times, so I finally used my die grinder to eliminate the paint under the clamp and then I JB welded it into place.

Now that I've written this, maybe the weld-on kit would have been easier... :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.