xr650 road use

42 replies to this topic
  • jakescool1234

Posted October 28, 2007 - 05:12 AM

i am thinking of buying a 650r for road use, i have ridden a xr400 and love it but the top end speed is a little low for higway useage. i like the xr650r but am worried about reliability issuses?
i looked at the xr650l but it just seems, soo simple and plain in comparison too the 650r.

it would be used for commuting about 20miles a day, and long rides at the weekend. i currently ride a yamaha dt50r (im only 16) and have done over 15000km since the end of april. so it would be my noly form of transport and used alot. i will keep on top of maintenance, but what is maintenance? how oftne so i change the oil, inspect the valves etc?

cheers boys

• hondacrf150f1

Posted October 28, 2007 - 03:11 PM

im 16 to, i bought a brand new 07 XR650R and ive got 3250 miles on it in 3 months. All ive done is change the oil and check the valves. The manual says 600 miles on the oil then it has to be changed, ive put 1000 on mine and it wasnt even that dirty. It's a great bike on the road with the right gearing, and it comes road legal in europe.

It should do 100 MPH fine with 15-45 gearing, and it accelerates as fast as hell, pulls 2nd gear wheelies with just a twist of the throttle. Very light and fun as hell in supermoto trim.

It will be a great bike! and you should be able to put 10,000+ miles on it without problems.
Posted Image

• jakescool1234

Posted October 28, 2007 - 03:47 PM

any one running passenger pegs?
And they dont sell road legal here in uk, sucks.
So. . There fast enough. Oil change about every 1500miles, and valve check how often?
Obvisely chain, pads, tyres etc. Il watch. Any thing more in depth?

Thanks again.

• porterdog

Posted October 28, 2007 - 04:19 PM

So. . There fast enough. Oil change about every 1500miles, and valve check how often?

They don't really break, so there isn't much else. Lube all the bearings when you get it, though- Honda don't use a lot of grease on assembly.

They don't hold much oil, either, so I think 1k mi intervals are better than 1500. (I usually check valves at the same time)

• black in RI

Posted October 28, 2007 - 04:21 PM

i have a set of home made passenger pegs not very clean clooking but they get the job done. they bolt onto the swingarm

• Big Red Paul

Posted October 28, 2007 - 11:11 PM

jakescool1234, after smoking around on a DT50, you are going to full in love with the power of the R.

The R needs regular oils changes. I change mine every 1,000 kilometers, plus a new oil filter every other time. That can work out quite expensive if you are clocking up 15,000 k every 7 months, and using quality oil. Take this into consideration.

The R will eat up road on the highway, you may want to drop a tooth on the back spocket for less vibration.

The seat on the bike can get uncomfortable after an hr or so.

When I was 16 I had a Suzuki TS50ER. It was my first street legal bike.
I loved that bike. Make sure you take some pictures of yourself with the DT before you sell it for posterity. I wish I had a pic of myself with that ER. I still have dreams about that bike.

Welcome to the forum, and if you decide to get an R, ride safe, it is a big jump from a 50cc bike.

hondacrf150f1, it looks like your front fender has fallen off ? What's up with that ?

• DanMc

Posted October 29, 2007 - 06:34 AM

I check the valves on mine occasionally, but they never need adjustment. We just went on a 3 day trip that was about 1000 street miles (everyone but me on cruisers or sport touring bikes). I went up a tooth on the front sprocket. The bike used maybe a few ounces of oil, and I rode it hard (long interstate stretches at 80+ the first day). These things are bulletproof.

Dan

• Billahjack

Posted October 29, 2007 - 07:52 AM

Run a 15/45 (Front/Rear) sprocket combo for street use.

The bike is longer lasting than most dirt bikes, but I would not expect much more than around 45,000 KM from the bike without a major engine overhaul. This just an estimate based upon easy riding (no sustained redline operation), proper oil/filter/air filter changes and running decent fuel.

• jakescool1234

Posted October 29, 2007 - 02:07 PM

that does seem rather un practical, doesnt it. that means every other weekend. i will have too spend about 25 quid on oil. and then a filter. . . it does seem worth it.
but any thoughts on the l?
are they just like a big cg125 LOL

chhers.

• InternalCombustion

Posted October 29, 2007 - 03:10 PM

My main squeeze is a 650R, but a buddy of mine (Huffa) let me put a tank-full through his primo L.

The L is a very good bike, particularly for serious commutting. They make good power, handle very well on the street, very low maintenance, good reliability and are waaaaay more comfortable unless you change out the seat foam on the R. Plus they come set up for a passenger.

For what you describe your riding to be, an L would be a very competent bike. Plus they have the magic button so starting is straight-forward. .

Don't get me wrong, I dearly love my R, but its a significant compromise between more power ® and more utility and comfort (L).

Ya pays ya money and ya makes ya choice.

Either one will make a great bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • porterdog

Posted October 29, 2007 - 05:30 PM

i will have too spend about 25 quid on oil.

Bollocks. Get some heavy duty diesel oil like Mobil Delvac 1300 or the corresponding Shell Rotella. We pay about $15/gallon for that stuff, can't be that much more on your side.

• smicer

Posted October 29, 2007 - 05:33 PM

any one running passenger pegs?
And they dont sell road legal here in uk, sucks.
Obvisely chain, pads, tyres etc. Il watch. Any thing more in depth?

Thanks again.

for the passenger pegs,i used my previous XRL pillion pegs...but with some trim and weld...it works great..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've been using the XR650R for close to 6months now and under my care,already clocked 15,000km...i rode the bike practically everyday...i've installed rad fan,and sahara tank.the seat have been recushion last month for better comfort on long haul...

do check this link
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=530494

• hondacrf150f1

Posted October 31, 2007 - 05:22 AM

hondacrf150f1, it looks like your front fender has fallen off ? What's up with that ?

im still waiting on the acerbis from motostrano...

as far as valve checks i waited till 1200 miles to check mine, (which is proble to long) and they were almost perfecly in spec.

My only complaint thus far is last nights oil change.....
I did the normal draining and dumped in 1.5 quarts of oil, then went and started it, let it idle to check the level. All of a sudden the bike is pissing oil down the left side of the motor, and all over the coolant lines and exhaust.

I wiped off oil and did the same procedure again, everything seamed fine...so i got the oil level right and went for a dinner ride with buddies, proble 25 miles. When i get back the motor is just shinning with oil...but the oil level is still fine.....ive yet to figure out what the problem is...
i was thinking it was the oil line that goes to the front of the frame where the screen is....it was wet with oil but it was torqued right?

• jakescool1234

Posted October 31, 2007 - 08:26 AM

what is the reccomended oil change on the xr400 (Miles)?
and 45000km then i need a whole engine overhaul, kinda off putting as that wont take me THAT long. :worthy:

really getting put off, i dont want it in the shed every weekend!
im thinking of even ditching trail bikes completely, theres NOTHING that fits the bill. and those new street triples sure are yummy. :worthy:

• phil_j

Posted October 31, 2007 - 10:14 AM

I think the xr400, as on off road only bike, is similar in the RECOMMENDED oil change interval. The 650r manual suggests every 600m/1000km. That's under the race conditions the bike is built to handle. If they said every 2500km, as you can probably get away with for dual sport riding, then someone would run a few desert races, some prerunning, etc etc, all without changing the oil, then complain about short engine life. I have about 7-8000 km on mind so far. I change the oil every 2000km, give or take. I use mine as daily transportation, and weekend fun.

As for engine life, I can't say personally. I suspect it'll go more than 45k. That's maybe 2 years for me. There's someone on the east coast of canada, who, last time I heard had 108k and counting on his, without any major work. Many reports of xr/xl600 and xl650 going high miles. I personally expect the 650r to outlast either. Oil seems to stay cooler, liquid cooled so less hotspots, more power means you don't have to run it so hard to go same speed, and I find the valvetrain to be sturdier, at least based on how often it does, or rather does not, need the valves adjusted. I still check them, but they're usually in spec.

I hope to ride mine to alaska next summer, and have done 1800km in one day on the road on mine, as the return leg of a 4000km road loop this past summer.

• SCOTTTO92

Posted October 31, 2007 - 10:43 AM

I picked up a really clean 650R and converted it for street... great bike... depends how you work the throttle but the range is around 100 miles.... my quickest tank was 81 miles.... change the oil every 900-1000 miles and its fairly clean....

one question.... how does a 16 year old afford a brand new xr650r?

• porterdog

Posted October 31, 2007 - 11:03 AM

one question.... how does a 16 year old afford a brand new xr650r?

As the new ones are all really leftovers the bike itself is relatively cheap compared to a current-model 450 (WR/CR/etc...)

• yamaha racing 230

Posted October 31, 2007 - 11:21 AM

hey dude how much is insurece for that bike since ure 16

• jakescool1234

Posted October 31, 2007 - 01:14 PM

well an xr400 would cost me £800
and an 2006 yamaha r6 would cost 1600
i figured it would be inbeetween those two somewhere. and the bike itself, wont be brand new. on ebay there are very nice low mileage ones going for around the 2500 mark.
i have been saving since april, and have my dt50 too sell (about £1300) soo its not too bad, :worthy:

• phil_j

Posted October 31, 2007 - 05:25 PM

Just a minor note: I just finished putting the tank back on after having a look at the valves. In the 2500km or so since I last adjusted them, they have moved not so much as a single thousandth of an inch. 0.006 & 0.008 on the dot, all around.

Again, casual road riding (commuting/touring) does not seem to stress this engine much at all, from what I've seen. :worthy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.