wr450 for road use????

24 replies to this topic
  • tweav

Posted November 14, 2007 - 02:02 AM

I was not looking for a replacment for my dirt bike ,when I did this 07 wr450ds . I was looking for a bike that I could go out and ride anytime with no loading or hauling and not be riding a lazy fat brick . not to say all factory dual sports are slugs just that every one I ever had was an bad in the dirt and on the road . I don't take my wr 450 on a all out dirt trip . my cr500 is for that task . And I don't take my wr on the highways ether . but it is a blast to buzz down the back roads to the state game lands for a quick 50 -60 mile outing daily. all riding and no hauling is a great thing .

• Nostalgic

Posted November 14, 2007 - 07:38 PM

no one has mentioned the biggest limiting factor for road use.

After an hour or two at constant speed sitting on the edge of a breadboard that yamaha calls a saddle you will be squirming and wanting to have a break.

A tall/soft seat makes a HUGE difference. But, I'm 6'5" and even I find that thing to be tall! :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Justang

Posted January 13, 2008 - 06:00 PM

I'm actually looking for a WR450 for dual sporting. My work is all of 1.5miles from my house. I want the WR to commute instead of driving my truck. I want the bike to be 95% off road, with the option of going trail head to trail head, and short commutes around my small town.

Is it hard to motard a bike? Or do you just buy the wheels and tires?

• Gaffo

Posted March 31, 2011 - 01:54 PM

i was thinking about buying a 06 wr450 for mainly road use and was just wondering if it will be able to cope? or will i be forever fixing things what sort of problems could i be faced with? thanks

i sold my 07 r1 and got a 01 wr426 supermoto last year and i drive that bike every day its a 30 mile round trip to work and most of it is highway and on the weekend on stick on tne off road wheels and head to the woods, i drive the shite out of it i and no probs i change the oil every month,i live in ireland and roads are very bad it never misses a beat these are great bikes :ride: :cheers:

• MaxPower

Posted March 31, 2011 - 07:56 PM

[COLOR="Green"]I dont get people facination with wanting to use this bike as a road bike. Its a designed as a dirtbike, This bike is closer to a yz than it is a gold wing.
You can ride trials with a R-1 too. But it doesn't mean that its going to be any good or any fun doing it[/COLOR]

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.