dirty coolant

7 replies to this topic
  • nolzey

Posted October 28, 2007 - 04:09 AM

i was filling up my coolant today ( yzf 400 99 ) and i noticed the coolant looked like there was dirt in it and the water was a black colour. still looked like water just a dark tinge to it. just had the head done and new gaskets 20 hours ago. any ideas on what could be causing this problem?

• ThumperKid250F

Posted October 29, 2007 - 10:01 AM

if there is dirt in there, it might of came from when you opened your cap and it fell in...

• todds924

Posted October 29, 2007 - 10:29 AM

i was filling up my coolant today ( yzf 400 99 ) and i noticed the coolant looked like there was dirt in it and the water was a black colour. still looked like water just a dark tinge to it. just had the head done and new gaskets 20 hours ago. any ideas on what could be causing this problem?

Flush your cooling system and refill with new coolant. Ride the bike then check it again.

• grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2007 - 10:29 AM

If you are running straight water, it's probably a sign that there's been some corrosion of the aluminum in the system.

Drain it and refill with a good corrosion inhibiting coolant.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga450owner

Posted October 29, 2007 - 10:30 AM

if there is dirt in there, it might of came from when you opened your cap and it fell in...

flush it out and keep an eye on it....coolant should not be getting dirty

• SUnruh

Posted October 29, 2007 - 10:36 AM

it could be a water pump seal or hoses that are disolving. which would be bad too.
i would pull the water pump cover and take a look. a new water pump seal is about $4.
the last thing you want is it going out on a ride. it drains all your coolant out the bottom weep hole and you never know it.

• todds924

Posted October 29, 2007 - 12:24 PM

It sounds like straight water was put in at some point.

• nolzey

Posted October 30, 2007 - 03:31 AM

ive been running motul coolant and water wetter and it was not chewing water there for a bit but it is starting to use more water again. i top it up with straight water so thats mabye why its doing it. ill give it a flush and see how it goes. thanks.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.