Bead lock on 650l

17 replies to this topic
  • absynth01

Posted October 27, 2007 - 07:17 PM

Just picked up my mounted MT-21 rear rim and tire setup for my 04'XR650L. My shop told me they installed a bead lock. I never noticed it didn't have even one!! Good thing as I have sheared my stems a few times on different machines. My Zilla had to have bead lock rims as it sheared them a few times alone. My CR has three, and my 600R has one. Did XR600's come with factory bead locks? I was told 650L's did not.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted October 28, 2007 - 09:21 AM

I was told 650L's did not.

My L did not. I added some (Motion Pro, maybe?) on the front and rear when I changed tires.

Cheap, and effective. Good to have 'em on there.

• Denn10

Posted October 29, 2007 - 06:40 AM

didnt know the Ls were lock-less ill have to install one on the rear for sure when i change out tire.

• martinfan30

Posted October 29, 2007 - 07:25 AM

i always wondered why they didnt have them. guess i will do it too.

• Denn10

Posted October 29, 2007 - 07:38 AM

i wont put on the front prolly just rear, kinda stupid that honda didnt unless they thought every L owner would never uncork and modify the engine and the stock 30 hp wasnt enough to spin the tire.

• martinfan30

Posted October 29, 2007 - 07:44 AM

are they a pain in the :worthy: to do?

i really dont see a need for the front unless you TARD it with big brakes.

• Denn10

Posted October 29, 2007 - 10:34 AM

there nothing its harder to change a tire overall so it doesnt really hamper tire changes. Ive learned that good tire irons and some heat in the tire from sitting in the hot sun help more than anything else.

• goblin127

Posted October 29, 2007 - 11:22 AM

It has more to do with how low you are running your psi than anything. I've been down to 16psi with out a problem,but much lower than that your asking for problems.

• Denn10

Posted October 29, 2007 - 02:42 PM

16psi isnt that low though, and with the torque that these bikes have even 15psi isnt enough sometime when full throttle and asphalt are mixed together. Its not needed by some but ill put one in for insurance that i dont spin a tube and be FLAT OUT.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted October 29, 2007 - 02:58 PM

I thought that one purpose of a rim lock is to keep the tire on the rim in the event of a flat.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted October 29, 2007 - 03:44 PM

I thought that one purpose of a rim lock is to keep the tire on the rim in the event of a flat.

To keep a tire from spinning on the rim in the event of a flat (or low PSI situations). Which can shear a valvestem, or cause loss of traction or control.

The L has a little black rubber plug in the hole where the rim lock should go.

• absynth01

Posted October 29, 2007 - 05:36 PM

I have to have one. I'm 265lbs and just put new MT-21's around. The bike also has 10.5-1 piston, xr's only carb, and biggun exhaust. I suspect there is valve/head work also. I don't want to chance a shear. This is the first bike I've owned(off road) that did not have a lock.
I have had a front TUBE come out of the rim on a YZ 490. The tube actually came out of the tire and got caught on the caliper. I was able to cut the tube out and kept the front end light to make it to base. Call me a liar, it happened. Don't know what would have happened if it didn't have a bead lock!!My LT500R was notorious for shear until it got bead/rim locks.

• Denn10

Posted October 30, 2007 - 09:44 AM

WOW how long did you run on a front flat to have it come out LOL everyone should put a rimlock in on their next tire change, its good insurance to not have a tire move a bit and take out that valve stem.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted October 30, 2007 - 06:30 PM

For those who do install rimlocks, try and get the installer to mount the tire's heaviest spot opposite the rimlock to get as good a balance as you can, especially on a street-ridden L or DS bike.

• martinfan30

Posted October 30, 2007 - 09:25 PM

For those who do install rimlocks, try and get the installer to mount the tire's heaviest spot opposite the rimlock to get as good a balance as you can, especially on a street-ridden L or DS bike.

this is a good practice. when i do tires at the shop i will do exactly this. spin the tire and if it needs a lot of weight on one side i will break the bead and rotate the tire 180 from the heavy spot. usually gets the required weight prettty low.

• absynth01

Posted October 31, 2007 - 04:43 AM

WOW how long did you run on a front flat to have it come out LOL everyone should put a rimlock in on their next tire change, its good insurance to not have a tire move a bit and take out that valve stem.

It wasn't FLAT. I was running it really low!! The tube popped out the side with air left in it, not much air but enough. Funny thing was the caliper side of the tire came off a little bit and the tube worked its way out. If that beadlock wasn't there I probably would have had real trouble. I was able to get the tire back on with a screwdriver. It was easy with no tube in the tire. Fired er up and stayed on the back of the bike with the gas on.
BTW the tube popped out running from a sand track to a woods section. The place it popped out was a nasty inlet to a body of water full of deep mud and logs. I speculate a log/stick in the mud took me out.

• absynth01

Posted October 31, 2007 - 04:45 AM

I noticed on most of mine the weight tends to be where the valve stem is. Mine was mounted opposite that.

• Denn10

Posted October 31, 2007 - 09:54 AM

thats crazy ABS never heard of a tire coming out LOL had to make you go "HUH *** HOW DID THAT HAPPEN" LOL Good idea with checking heavy side and doing the best we can to balance wheel.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.