'01 426

5 replies to this topic
  • Python2112

Posted October 27, 2007 - 04:32 AM

Hello all, new guy here, Im looking at buying an 01 YZF426 from this guy, I can get it for $1800, it seems to have been well cared for, oil changes coolant etc, it starts, runs good, no weird noises, its never been raced, mostly trail ridden, although it has seen track time, my only hesitation is, its never been apart for a top end or anything, and Im not sure of the actaul hours on it. What should be done first if I purchase it? Im not going racing, I just want it for a weekend play bike, Im gettin too old and fat for all that air time! any help appreciated!

• garage time

Posted October 27, 2007 - 04:53 AM

Hi,I bought an 01 yz426f about a year ago and sounds like the same situation as yours.I couldn't be happier with the bike,all kinds of power and it has been very reliable.It feels a little heavy when comparing it to my sons yz250f but it's a blast to ride.I installed a hot cams exhaust cam and checked the valves at that time and they were right on the spec.Most people say that they are a very tough bike,it's the best toy I've bought in a long time.Search the TT archives,there is all kinds of info there.

• grayracer513

Posted October 27, 2007 - 07:50 AM

...no weird noises...

OK, that's a problem right there. :worthy:

JK :worthy:

When I buy a used bike, unless I have reason to believe otherwise, I assume it needs a full front to back servicing; clean and pack wheel bearings, steering head bearings, linkage, oil, filters, frame screen on the steel framed bikes like yours, fork fluid, the works. Once you've done that, you're not guessing any more, and you might notice a loose thing or two in the process.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted October 27, 2007 - 02:43 PM

Hello all, new guy here, Im looking at buying an 01 YZF426 from this guy, I can get it for $1800, it seems to have been well cared for, oil changes coolant etc, it starts, runs good, no weird noises, its never been raced, mostly trail ridden, although it has seen track time, my only hesitation is, its never been apart for a top end or anything, and Im not sure of the actaul hours on it. What should be done first if I purchase it? Im not going racing, I just want it for a weekend play bike, Im gettin too old and fat for all that air time! any help appreciated!

The very first thing I would do is replace the timing chain. Its not hard to do, and its very inexpensive. A fresh ring set and some new valve springs probably wouldn't hurt anything either.

• OUCR250R

Posted October 27, 2007 - 05:06 PM

My dad has an 01' 426. We took it apart last winter to check on it. It had never been apart before and there was not even any ring grov in the cylinder. The valves were all in spec. and everything else looked good too. It has been a great bike and it's nearly indestructible.

• klxnewguy

Posted October 27, 2007 - 09:59 PM

I've got an 01 426 and I love it as well. I do think it might be a tad on the heavy side but man is it a great bike. I would go through it, clean it all up and you should be good to go. I put a flywheel weight on mine (12oz) and it has made a huge difference in the woods. I would go for it, I don't think you can lose.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.