Length of bolt to cam chain tensioner?

2 replies to this topic
  • Moto-Mike

Posted March 24, 2002 - 03:16 PM

I have just completed top end job and everthing went together fine except the bolt that threads into the cam chain tensioner. It threads into the tensioner fine for about 3/4's of the way in after that it turns really hard and I am concerned that I may damage something if I turn it in any further. I double checked that the tensioner rod was released by turning the tensioner rod counter-clockwise. I was wondering if I was using the correct length of screw or maybe used the correct screw somewhere else? The length of screw I am using is .520". Does anyone know the correct length for the cam chain tensioner bolt? Thanks for any help!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MX_Tuner

Posted March 25, 2002 - 02:14 AM

That length sounds right. Run the bolt in the hole without the tensioner in place. Does the other hole feel the same?

• The_Missile

Posted March 25, 2002 - 06:31 AM

Bolt length sounds correct to me.
Check 1) Check the thread of the bolt carefully...is it being deformed ?

Check 2)Stick the end of a screwdriver in the hole and measure the 'depth' till the adjuster. See if this is shorter than your bolt thread length. If so...there is your problem, use a shorter screw.

Good luck, and dont force it, it strips easily so I am told.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.