No stupid questions.........

26 replies to this topic
  • xracer390

Posted October 26, 2007 - 03:26 PM

Just stupid people, like me ?

Traded a truck for a bike 01 426. I paid $1000 for the truck and I took out the $500 sterio before the trade. Now Im ahead right ? Now the stupid parts.......he said its a WR, how do I know its not a YZ? Also I wanted to make it streetable......I didnt get the Cert of Origin, just a signed bill of sale. State and county sherrif says thats not good enough. Now what ? I contacted the guy I got it from to try to track down the C.O.O.

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 26, 2007 - 03:54 PM

Is there a wiring harness for a head light? Does it have a headlight? Coolant resevoir under rear fender?

If yes on any of the above, it's a WR.......

Don't know what to tell ya bout the title or paperwork.

Good Luck:ride:

• xracer390

Posted October 26, 2007 - 06:58 PM

Its a nice bike, love the ride so far, but I feel pretty dumb the way I bought it. I buy,sell, and restore classic cars and Im checking numbers and paperwork all the time.

Theres no lights, havent torn it apart to see if theres wires for lights. I didnt notice any coolant res. in back. Where is it on a WR ?

• Bleeds_Blue

Posted October 26, 2007 - 07:00 PM

Post pics.

• Silverslug

Posted October 26, 2007 - 07:08 PM

If I'm not mistaken A WR has a 5 speed transmission and the YZ a four speed tranny. :worthy:

• Birdy426

Posted October 26, 2007 - 09:57 PM

If I'm not mistaken A WR has a 5 speed transmission and the YZ a four speed tranny. :worthy:

That's true for the four-fiddies, but the 400s and 426s were both 5 speeds.

Is the subframe aluminum or steel? In 01 the YZs had aluminum, the WRs had steel.

What about the pipe? WRs had a round stainless steel, baffled muffler, YZs had an oval Aluminum glass packed can.

Does the carb have an Air Cut Valve? You can find a picture of the ACV here http://www.thumperfaq.com/acv.htm WRs have 'em, YZs don't

How about the front number plate? If the bike has the stock triple clamp on top, there will be some sort of home made bracket holding the top of the front number plate if it's a WR.

That's the easy stuff...you could always pull the ignition cover and see if it has a lighting coil or not...WRs have 'em, YZs don't.

• xracer390

Posted October 27, 2007 - 08:28 AM

I keep the bike at my shop so I cant just run out and look. Thinking more and more its a YZ. Are you talking the rear subframe? Thats aluminum. Theres no coolant tank in the rear and I believe the muffler is aluminum too. This realy sucks, anyone want to buy it ?:worthy:

Posted Image

• tmckeown

Posted October 27, 2007 - 09:21 AM

My judging from the airbox, it is YZ, WR has three screws you can open from the left side of the bike and change airfilter. In YZ you do this by removing seat.

Timo McKeown

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 27, 2007 - 10:29 AM

Well based on the tank/seat I'd say it's a YZ and the tell tale would also be a 19" rear tire.. WR has 18"...

LUBE THAT CHAIN:prof:

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 27, 2007 - 10:33 AM

So you wanted a WR, you are into this YZ for $500 if I read correctly. A little clean up and youi should be able to make money on this deal provided the bike runs strong... maybe $150 in some plastics and graphics, a little elbow grease in cleaning and detailing and you have a $2000.00 bike at least :worthy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • canyonclimb

Posted October 27, 2007 - 10:38 AM

This realy sucks, anyone want to buy it ?:worthy:

The Engine looks really clean, you should be able to get your moneys' worth out of it. Make it look prettier for your selling pics (ie lube the chain, clean some of that rust)
Canyon

• Nostalgic

Posted October 27, 2007 - 05:54 PM

You could profit off that bike and it was a good deal. WAIT, the issue that could easily get in the way is the bill of sale with no title. Usually means stolen......Nothing you can do there. Someone else would probably buy it but it hurts the value and most buyers won't touch it.

Good luck whatever you decide! It is nice looking, have fun!

• Birdy426

Posted October 27, 2007 - 08:20 PM

My judging from the airbox, it is YZ, WR has three screws you can open from the left side of the bike and change airfilter. In YZ you do this by removing seat.

Timo McKeown

'98-02 didn't...they had the same airbox as the YZs

• xracer390

Posted October 27, 2007 - 09:07 PM

So you wanted a WR, you are into this YZ for $500 if I read correctly. A little clean up and youi should be able to make money on this deal provided the bike runs strong... maybe $150 in some plastics and graphics, a little elbow grease in cleaning and detailing and you have a $2000.00 bike at least :worthy:

I like your thinking and thats what Im working twards now. :worthy:

• dmoney1074

Posted October 28, 2007 - 04:59 PM

Timo McKeown

wrong...

• jbrooks26

Posted October 28, 2007 - 06:16 PM

Don't forget that many people wanted to YZ their WR in the early years of the 400 and 426, and even the early 450's. This could very well be a WR that has a YZ tank, seat, subframe, upper tripple, and number plate installed. The rear wheel does look to be an 18 incher, but it could also be a YZ that has a 18 rear installed. The best way to know for sure what you have is going to be running the VIN by the Yami dealer. Hope this helps.

Josh

• tmckeown

Posted October 29, 2007 - 12:06 AM

wrong...

It would be nice to get some real feedback instead of just blunt wrong.
Why is it wrong?

Timo McKeown

• xracer390

Posted October 29, 2007 - 04:46 AM

The best way to know for sure what you have is going to be running the VIN by the Yami dealer. Hope this helps.

Josh

I like this idea. I did hear back from the kid I bought it from so maybe its on the up and up and not a stolen bike. Hes supposed to be sending me the paperwork he has. I also have a friend who works for Anoka County checking the database of stolen bikes for this serial number. Keep your fingers crossed for me..........or your Moto's X :worthy:

• jbrooks26

Posted October 29, 2007 - 05:10 AM

Good luck, and if it does turn out to be stolen I hope you do the right thing. Many of us have had bikes stolen, myself included, and I know it would mean a lot to me to see the puke that took it brought down. I paid for 2 years on a bike I got to ride for a month. Anyway, that is another subject. I hope it all works out for you. Good luck.

Josh

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted October 29, 2007 - 06:28 AM

I like this idea. I did hear back from the kid I bought it from so maybe its on the up and up and not a stolen bike. Hes supposed to be sending me the paperwork he has. I also have a friend who works for Anoka County checking the database of stolen bikes for this serial number. Keep your fingers crossed for me..........or your Moto's X :worthy:

$500 for a yz... you scored!

Go get a wr frame or rolling chassis if you can find one. That way you can move everything over.

I am not familiar witht he laws in Minnesota. Is it difficult to street register a bike there?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.