TPS unplugged ?????

22 replies to this topic
  • candyman

Posted October 26, 2007 - 01:14 PM

I have an 07 WR450 that I installed an Edelbrock carb. on. Yes it works very well!!!One of the best mods I have done to the bike.
With the Edelbrock you unplug the TPS and don't use it.
There was a post where someone did an actual dyno run showing the TPS plugged in and not plugged in. Does anyone have a link to it. I believe it showed the motor making more HP with the TPS unplugged.

• jpoehls

Posted October 27, 2007 - 08:14 AM

I am running the FCR stock carb with jetting. Bike runs fantastic. But, I had issues with bike hesitating/misfiring at 50 to 55 MPH.

I unplugged TPS. Initially I did not think I felt a difference. After getting into the slow technical stuff with climbing involved, boy did I really start to notice. I plugged it back in and it made a big difference in the low grunt power.

When I took bike in for 20 hour service, I had them reject, and make adjustments called for in voltage discussed in the TPS thread. Bike runs real good now. I still am going to get the Boyesen Accelerator Pump, Zypty Screw, and a JD jet kit. When I pull bike apart this winter I will put on. I did this on a prior bike with an FCR 39 mm carb, and I noticed immediate difference. Then I can call carb done.

I have to politely disagree on your comment with more HP without TPS hooked up. Perhaps it could be so with top end power, but certainly is not the case in the low to mid range. That is based on pure feel is the technical riding testing both scenarios.

Why did you remove an FCR MX 39 carb and replace with Eddlebrock. That is a big spend. Was the HP difference noticeable and justifiable? The bike has more power than I can imagine with the jetted FCR, but I am hardly an amatuer. What size is your eddlebrock?

• tmckeown

Posted October 27, 2007 - 09:24 AM

WR and YZ ignition has 6 different maps for advancing ignition and these are changed by TPS. So if you have removed TPS you have only one ignition map.

Timo McKeown

• candyman

Posted October 27, 2007 - 10:20 AM

I am running the FCR stock carb with jetting. Bike runs fantastic. But, I had issues with bike hesitating/misfiring at 50 to 55 MPH.

I unplugged TPS. Initially I did not think I felt a difference. After getting into the slow technical stuff with climbing involved, boy did I really start to notice. I plugged it back in and it made a big difference in the low grunt power.

When I took bike in for 20 hour service, I had them reject, and make adjustments called for in voltage discussed in the TPS thread. Bike runs real good now. I still am going to get the Boyesen Accelerator Pump, Zypty Screw, and a JD jet kit. When I pull bike apart this winter I will put on. I did this on a prior bike with an FCR 39 mm carb, and I noticed immediate difference. Then I can call carb done.

I have to politely disagree on your comment with more HP without TPS hooked up. Perhaps it could be so with top end power, but certainly is not the case in the low to mid range. That is based on pure feel is the technical riding testing both scenarios.

Why did you remove an FCR MX 39 carb and replace with Eddlebrock. That is a big spend. Was the HP difference noticeable and justifiable? The bike has more power than I can imagine with the jetted FCR, but I am hardly an amatuer. What size is your eddlebrock?

Ever tried to get to the jets and needle on these bikes? The Edelbrock is all externally adjustable. Simple and easy to adjust when things need to be. Starts and rides as good with the Edelbrock and butt plug out as my friends 05 WR450 with the stock carb. and DR D. pipe. Thats coming from his mouth. He's going to buy an Edelbrock.
I run Edelbrocks on all of my 4 strokes and they all run very well and are a breeze to adjust when needed.

• tmckeown

Posted October 27, 2007 - 10:40 AM

Done it several times. You need to get them right once and from there on if you don't make any major changes you are good.

You just need to do that first time in the dyno if you really want to do it right. Everything else is just quess work.

But like I said now you have only one ignition map in use and that is a big compromise. But hey it is your bike and you're the one drives with it. As long as you're happy. What else matters?

Timo McKeown

• candyman

Posted October 27, 2007 - 11:24 AM

There was a post on this awhile ago and I believe the dyno showed that it made more HP everwhere with the TPS unplugged.:worthy:

• tmckeown

Posted October 27, 2007 - 12:03 PM

Oh, well.

How much do you drive flat out with 5 gear? how any times you accelerate from 30 to .... with 5 gear?

This is what you get from dyno. They run your bike with 5th gear from around 4000 rpm all the way to rev limiter and result you get is torque and power from that.

It matters more how does your bike accelerate from corners.

It is just the way I do things, I'm not looking for max power, but more torque to the bottom end which I use most anyway. Maybe I'm not good enough drive, but I can't do flat out full throttle for long. Like I said there is 6 ignition maps in the ignition box and they are launched by position off throttle.

Timo McKeown

• candyman

Posted October 27, 2007 - 12:57 PM

6 ignition maps? I thought there were 3 and without the TPS there were 2?

• tmckeown

Posted October 27, 2007 - 01:28 PM

There is 6 maps which depends on throttle position. I just got a Vortex box and there you can actually define (with developer tool) when those 6 maps launch anywhere from 1% throttle to 100% of throttle. This is done by reading TPS values. Without TPS you have only one map.

But like I said, as long as you're happy with your bike that is all that matters.

Timo McKeown

• rich1167

Posted October 28, 2007 - 01:48 PM

I would recomend that a person checks the adjustment on their TPS per the manual before deciding to run it unpluged. On my 05 WR450 it was out of adjustment right out of the box. It ran a whole lot better once it was adjusted properly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hollywood

Posted October 30, 2007 - 01:41 AM

I would recomend that a person checks the adjustment on their TPS per the manual before deciding to run it unpluged. On my 05 WR450 it was out of adjustment right out of the box. It ran a whole lot better once it was adjusted properly.

What is the process for checking it and then adjusting it? How do you know to what degree it is out of adjustment?

• rich1167

Posted October 30, 2007 - 07:59 AM

You check resistance values. Its all in the manual. I know you will need a multimeter to do it. If you dont have a manual let me know and I will look in mine and post the procedure. Keep in mind I have an 05.

• GCannon

Posted October 30, 2007 - 08:44 AM

First set your idle perfect!

Then use a good Multimeter set to DCV you will need to back probe the circut while it connected red wire in one side black in the other. Do not poke holes in the insulation of the wires back probe the connector.

Now you will need to use tamperproof torx bits to loosen the TPS mounting.

While the bike is idling adjust the position of the TPS until the DCV reads between .72-.75. now tighten the screws. ( don't over tighten them it's just plastic)

The voltage spec is .58 - .78 VDC with the system connected and running. You will want to adjust the voltage to the high end of the spec in order to minimize the stutter affect.

Resist the temptation to adjust to the high limit because you may go somewhere with different altitude and you will need to leave yourself room to increase your idle speed for different atmospheric conditions.

• Hollywood

Posted October 30, 2007 - 10:22 AM

Uh.... I have no idea how to use a multi-meter or back probe a circuit. I have a manual... I'll go read it and try to figure it out. I know that mine is unplugged and taped off.

• GCannon

Posted October 30, 2007 - 10:48 AM

If you are not familair with electrical circut testing or you do not have tamperproof torxs then you may just plug it back in. You might just check to see that the paint mark on the TPS aligns with the paint on the carb body.

• creeky

Posted October 30, 2007 - 05:31 PM

I have been running an Edelbrock on my '00 WR400 for some time, the conversion was well worth it. Easier starting; throttle response equal to the stock Keihin; improved acceleration characteristics across the RPM range (no flat spots or surges ever); no jetting hassles when temps and altitude change, simply make a quick adjustment on the external needle adjuster; improved fuel mileage. So there is only one ignition map with the TPS unplugged, I prefer the way the bike runs with the Edelbrock and no TPS over the stock setup.

• drtbk4ever

Posted October 31, 2007 - 08:39 AM

Uh.... I have no idea how to use a multi-meter or back probe a circuit. I have a manual... I'll go read it and try to figure it out. I know that mine is unplugged and taped off.

Try doing a search on TPS. Last year I found a thread where someone gave step by step instructions on how he tested the TPS. He helped to clarify what the manual was trying to illustrate.

I did a quick search but couldn't find it. But it gotta be here somewhere.

• bandit99

Posted October 31, 2007 - 03:11 PM

Another vote for the Edelbrock :worthy: . The FCR's are a pain in the :worthy:. The Edelbrock can be adjusted in seconds and runs perfect from bottom to top. It pops a little on decel but that doesn't effect how it runs. I am sold on the Edelbrock. The FCR just over complicates things. Jetting should not be so tough that there are a million threads on how to do it.

• candyman

Posted November 01, 2007 - 09:36 AM

I'm confused.You say the bike runs fantastic but you will be changing things this winter to make it run better. I thought fantastic means no further change would be needed.

• tmckeown

Posted November 01, 2007 - 12:08 PM

Only way to cure this would be EFI, as long as you have a carburator you need to tune it up.

Timo McKeown

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.