another oil thread-sorry

12 replies to this topic
  • tarmac_terrorist

Posted October 26, 2007 - 08:47 AM

Hi

Whats the very best oil for my 07 450? Does it have to be 10-40w. Why not say 0-50w or 0-40w or 05-40?

Do i need to order a copper 'sump plug washer' when ordering a new oil filter?

Any nasties or anything to worry about whilst changing the oil over?

The bike has been idled / revved for about 15 minutes from new, so i figured it would be a good time to swap the oil over.

I was wondering about using mobil 1 fully synthetic oil... if i can find some.

The cylinder head is very noisy- is that normal on a new bike?

thanks for your time.

• ETP

Posted October 26, 2007 - 10:09 AM

As far as oil goes, "Best Oil" has been debated thoroughly here on this forum. Use the search engine to open the vast sea of opinions.
Search "which weight oil" and "synthetic vs dino".
At the end of the day, most recommend following whatever the manual says.:crazy:

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 26, 2007 - 06:49 PM

These are noisy engines.

The best oil you can run is the one you can afford to change frequently. The transmission in these bikes will shear an oil out of grade in like 4 hours.

What I do is I use shell rotella T 15w-40 dino (soon to be 5w-40 synth) and change it every 3-4 rides or 200-300 miles. Took the valve cover off at 426 miles to check the valve clearances and the cam lobes and lifters looked pristine. Granted 426 miles is very little :worthy:

• tarmac_terrorist

Posted October 27, 2007 - 04:48 PM

These are noisy engines.

The best oil you can run is the one you can afford to change frequently. The transmission in these bikes will shear an oil out of grade in like 4 hours.

What I do is I use shell rotella T 15w-40 dino (soon to be 5w-40 synth) and change it every 3-4 rides or 200-300 miles. Took the valve cover off at 426 miles to check the valve clearances and the cam lobes and lifters looked pristine. Granted 426 miles is very little :worthy:

Thanks. I was hoping to go lower than 10-40, say 0-40. You reckon 5w-40 would be safe to use? I intend to use fully synthetic.

BTW, that was an informative post, thank you.

• tmckeown

Posted October 28, 2007 - 12:03 AM

You should do the break-in with mineral oil, this way piston rings etc will be settled better on their places. After break-in you should go to Semi-synthetic or synthetic oil.

Timo McKeown

• dmoney1074

Posted October 28, 2007 - 04:56 PM

Just make sure that the oil you use is NOT energy conserving... these oils are mainly for cars and have friction modifiers that will cause clutch slippage. Any 4t oil will do or dino... its up to you. I use rotella 15w-40 and change it every 2 rides. I've heard nothing but good things about this oil, but you really need to do a search for yourself... there are debates on oil everyday.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tarmac_terrorist

Posted October 28, 2007 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for the invaluable advice. Im having a mini freak out trying to work out if the oil pump is engine driven or transmission driven i.e is the oil pump working when the enging is turning or when the the trans is turning? Reason i ask, is because i have never driven my bike, just idled it.

I reckon i will go for mobil 1 racing 4t 10 40w at first then lay into this matter properly. If i need to swap the oil every two rides, things could get costly.

My thanks again.

• TheBlackSheep

Posted October 28, 2007 - 05:33 PM

You cant go wrong with Motil 5100.

....................... bahhh :worthy:

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted October 29, 2007 - 10:35 AM

You cant go wrong with Motil 5100.

....................... bahhh :worthy:

+1 for Motul 5100.

The top end is noisy on the '07 450. In fact, if you don't hear some "chatter" when idling then you can get a little suspicious.

Frequent oil changes are just as...and possibly more...important than which oil you use. I change oil and oil filter after every third to fourth ride (aprox. 200 miles)...my opinion, your's may differ.:worthy:

-Jay

• dirtrider04

Posted October 29, 2007 - 08:17 PM

+1 for Motul 5100.

The top end is noisy on the '07 450. In fact, if you don't hear some "chatter" when idling then you can get a little suspicious.

Frequent oil changes are just as...and possibly more...important than which oil you use. I change oil and oil filter after every third to fourth ride (aprox. 200 miles)...my opinion, your's may differ.:worthy:

-Jay

+1 motul 10 w40

• tmckeown

Posted October 30, 2007 - 02:52 AM

Im having a mini freak out trying to work out if the oil pump is engine driven or transmission driven i.e is the oil pump working when the enging is turning or when the the trans is turning?

Oil pump is driven by engine, so when engin is running oil is circulating

Timo McKeown

• tarmac_terrorist

Posted October 30, 2007 - 06:48 AM

If the people here say to use motul 10 w40 5100, then thats what i will use. Thanks guys.

Good news about the oil pump being motor driven. I thought that was the case, I just could not work out why the valve train is so noisy.

Big thanks to all.

• TheBlackSheep

Posted October 30, 2007 - 04:07 PM

If the people here say to use motul 10 w40 5100, then thats what i will use. Thanks guys.

Good news about the oil pump being motor driven. I thought that was the case, I just could not work out why the valve train is so noisy.

Big thanks to all.

No problem. :worthy: Also, after my very first ride I changed the oil and filter. After that I changed the oil every 10 hours, and the filter every other oil change. My bike has 60 hours on it now and now I am going to change the oil every 20 hours, and the filter every other oil change. If you don't have a hour meter, get one. They are $40 well spent.

.............. bahhh :worthy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.