hotcam install, what lube?

12 replies to this topic
  • martinfan30

Posted October 25, 2007 - 07:14 PM

just getting ready to install a hotcam on my L. what is the favorite lube for the cam break in period? any other thoughts on break in proceedure?

• martinfan30

Posted October 25, 2007 - 08:16 PM

i know that too much moly = bad clutch. any thoughts? how about lithium? maybe a very thick oil?

• Supplicate

Posted October 25, 2007 - 08:25 PM

I have a jar of ProCircuit (IIRC) engine assembly lube that works damn good, made specifically for motorcycles.

• stepho

Posted October 25, 2007 - 09:20 PM

torco assembly lube (S&S suggest) or redline assembly lube (Megacycle suggest) When I had that problem with getting oil up to my xrl cyl head the lobes still look great after 2 min no oil pressure. Redline grease on the followers with torco down the cam chain. works well for all our motors.

• stepho

Posted October 25, 2007 - 09:23 PM

oh yeah, try keeping the bike above idle for the first warmup. more oil pressure when not idling helps a lot.

• martinfan30

Posted October 25, 2007 - 09:57 PM

stepho, thanks. i will look into the redline assy. lube. another thing, i assume the recomended 20 min. at 2000 rpm is just to keep up the oil press.?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted October 25, 2007 - 10:04 PM

I used the moly paste like Honda recommends in the shop manual. I though it was kind of crazy using 40% moly, but I did it anyway. Not much though, just a thin film. No wear issues.

I did change the oil after about 15 minutes to get that moly out of there.

• zrxer

Posted October 26, 2007 - 04:29 AM

Martinfan, I have leftover lube I received from Megacycle when I installed one of their cams in my 600 engine. I'll send it to you if you want it. PM me with your address. Bruce:ride:

• Denn10

Posted October 26, 2007 - 05:57 AM

torco assembly lube (S&S suggest) or redline assembly lube (Megacycle suggest) When I had that problem with getting oil up to my xrl cyl head the lobes still look great after 2 min no oil pressure. Redline grease on the followers with torco down the cam chain. works well for all our motors.

i have quite a few of the Torco assembly lube tubes if you want one. HEHEHE Stole em from work. It is good stuff we used the crap outta it on the Rotax aircraft engines i built

• Motosprtman

Posted October 26, 2007 - 07:07 AM

Boy oh boy - all Ican say is defintely use soemthing! I was very distracted by some disturbing family news one day and was reassembling an old 72 XL-250 motor that I had pulled apart to repair an oil leak. Not only did I fail to tighten down 2 of the four head bolts (cylinder studs) resulting in a massive oil leak upon start up - but I also did not put any assembly lube and or oil in the top end in the cam pocket or the lobes races etc. Chewed up the cam and the races, toasted. So now I am in the process of doing it all over again with a 74 top end and you can bet it will be slow but sure every step of the way and there will be assembly lube used !!!!!

• martinfan30

Posted October 26, 2007 - 09:20 AM

oh man! that REALLY can set you off especially after bad news!:D :crazy:

• machman

Posted October 26, 2007 - 09:54 AM

Oh man, you musta been so irritated!!

I'm getting ready to reassemble my bike and I picked up some moly lube at my local hot rod shop. It's a mixture of moly and some other stuff. I'll probably still cut it 50/50 like the manual says.

Then, after the first breakin cycle I'll ditch that oil outta there. I plan on changing it again a couple times in a very short period afterwards. Cheapest insurance you can buy really...

Oh yeah, and be sure to use non-synthetic through the break-in period and for a while after that as well...

• martinfan30

Posted October 26, 2007 - 11:38 AM

ya good point on using non-synth. if synthetic is used during break in , it wont allow rings to seat.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.