Places to ride near Angels Camp CA?

24 replies to this topic
  • ULEWZ

Posted October 25, 2007 - 05:33 PM

The wife and I are going to Angels Camp next week (time share, don't ask!) and are looking for places to ride. It looks like Elkins flats is too far (1.5 hours), but La Grange and Deer Creek OHV aren't too far. Are either of these places any good for intermediate riding or are there any other places that are close?
Thanks

• cleonard

Posted October 25, 2007 - 06:59 PM

When I was visiting family in Jamestown I gave Deer Creek a try. It was a lot of fun. There are trails of all difficulty levels, but quite a few are black diamond.

There are several other areas. Hull creek is on the other side of the 108. There is also an area called Black Springs. N ever been to either.

There are maps available from the local Forest Service offices.

• xnofriendsx

Posted October 25, 2007 - 10:43 PM

Just go to Deer Creek and ride every trail you can. DC is a great place to ride.
That is the closest place to Angels Camp that is worth a trip. Maybe 1 hour.
If you need directions or whatever, just let me know.

• 450X22

Posted October 26, 2007 - 06:29 AM

X2 for Deer Creek...Its worth going to and you'll find a nice place to ride when you visit that time share every year....

• ULEWZ

Posted October 26, 2007 - 07:36 AM

Thanks, we will give Deer Creek a try. Any advice on staging areas and how to get there? I google mapped it, and hopefully it is accurate.

• 400EX

Posted October 26, 2007 - 07:56 AM

+1 For Deer Creek. lots of fun. PM me for directions.

• 400EX

Posted October 26, 2007 - 08:37 AM

http://www.thumperta...ight=deer creek

Trail map

• xnofriendsx

Posted October 26, 2007 - 08:55 AM

Here are the directions from the Were 2 Ride forum on TT.

http://www.thumperta...ea.php?t=511698

49 South towards Sonora
108 East towards Twain Harte
Take any exit to downtown Twain Harte.
Drive through downtown and this turns into Joaguin Gully Rd.
The road will fork, go left. This is South Fork Rd.
South Fork Rd turns into a dirt road about 1-2 miles into the drive and you drive on dirt for about 5-6 miles until Deer Creek Staging Area on the right.

When you cross the South Fork River, the road turns into Italian Bar Rd.
About 3 miles from the South Fork River bridge.

Have fun.

• Kimmylion

Posted October 26, 2007 - 02:41 PM

The wife and I are going to Angels Camp next week (time share, don't ask!) and are looking for places to ride. It looks like Elkins flats is too far (1.5 hours), but La Grange and Deer Creek OHV aren't too far. Are either of these places any good for intermediate riding or are there any other places that are close?
Thanks

Cool! I am off work Wed., Thurs., and Fri.(31, 1, 2). Could you? Would you? let someone tag along? I ride a 230. Intermediate trails are good. I'v'e been to Deer Creek a couple of times but am wanting to get to know the place better.

Kim

• Michael Lueders

Posted October 26, 2007 - 02:52 PM

We did Hull creek for the first time this August. Very nice and some cool stuff to go off and explore.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mike in Fresno

Posted October 26, 2007 - 03:17 PM

do not go to La grange, it is a race or pure begginers area and only about 200 acres.

• ULEWZ

Posted October 26, 2007 - 07:49 PM

Cool! I am off work Wed., Thurs., and Fri.(31, 1, 2). Could you? Would you? let someone tag along? I ride a 230. Intermediate trails are good. I'v'e been to Deer Creek a couple of times but am wanting to get to know the place better.

Kim

The wife says no problem. We have never been there, so we don't know how long it will take to get there, so bare with us. We will be here all week, but Wednesday sounds best. If you still want to go, PM me and we can swap cell numbers. I am using a slower than ..... internet connection through iBridge at the resort, but I will check back later. I ride a CRF250X and the wife rides a CRF230f with suspension mods. I am driving a tan GMC truck, so you can find us.

• Kimmylion

Posted October 27, 2007 - 11:31 AM

We did Hull creek for the first time this August. Very nice and some cool stuff to go off and explore.

I'm hoping to go there on Veteran's Day weekend. We'll see. And, +however-many-we-are-up-to for a "no" vote on LaGrange. The family and I go there when we are desperate for seat time as it is only 30 minutes away and we get bored almost immediately.

• xnofriendsx

Posted October 27, 2007 - 12:35 PM

La Grange will be the place i teach my kids to ride this coming year. Not a really great place to ride, but i never complain about a riding spot. Better than nothing. I can't wait to get a PW50 for my son.

• ULEWZ

Posted October 27, 2007 - 07:47 PM

Not much to do here in Angels Camp, good thing we brought the bikes. Looks like we will head out to Deer creek on Monday and again on Thursday to ride with Kim. Thanks for the advice.

• ULEWZ

Posted November 03, 2007 - 03:58 PM

White Pines was great. Here are a few pictures of the wife and myself.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• ULEWZ

Posted November 03, 2007 - 04:11 PM

Here are some images from Deer Creek: Thanks to Kim for the tour!Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• justinandkarna

Posted November 03, 2007 - 09:17 PM

How were the conditions at Deer Creek (that didnt look like Deer Creek in the photos) We are going up Monday-guessing the dirt is going to be real good.

• xnofriendsx

Posted November 03, 2007 - 10:04 PM

That was Deer Creek. I would know those tree roots anyday. Trail #5.
It can be pretty hard to get up those when they are wet.
Those photos show no justice. That is actually pretty steep and hard to get a run in to those.
"If" that is indeed Trail #5.

Where is White Pines though?

• ULEWZ

Posted November 04, 2007 - 07:50 AM

That was Deer Creek. I would know those tree roots anyday. Trail #5.
It can be pretty hard to get up those when they are wet.
Those photos show no justice. That is actually pretty steep and hard to get a run in to those.
"If" that is indeed Trail #5.

Where is White Pines though?

Definately slick, and it had just rained the night before.

White pines is in Arnold. Go around the lake and follow the signs. We found a shortcut to the right of the lake, cutting though the parking lot of a lodge and taking the dirt road.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.