(650R) Pig roasts Hog

43 replies to this topic
  • stepho

Posted October 26, 2007 - 10:27 PM

working on a project right now i hope in six months we will have you eating your threads.
PS Still love the XR's cant beat them

• The Italian Stallion

Posted October 27, 2007 - 08:31 AM

I have had a Harley since I was 16.My father has had one since he was 14.It was my dad and his Harleys that got me into bikes. It pisses me off when people cut them up.Like someone said on an earlier postIt was built for an intended purpose and it does that purpose well.Most people cut them up because they can't afford them. And others Hate them because they have no balls between there legs and feel scared when they pull up to a guy on a hog and they don't like that feeling of insecuraty.Thats all there is to it and that is YOUR problem.I personaly never met a bike I didn't like. And if yo want to talk about possers? They are everywere my friends in every walk of life.Everyone is guilty of possing.That fact is the 'real" you is not that interesting.Having said that my XR will take my H-D in an off the line drag race but when on the roll at 60 to 70 I gear down and drop the hammer on the H-D the H=D waves bye bye.

• The Italian Stallion

Posted October 27, 2007 - 08:51 AM

thats SO TRUE and so sad too, ive seen it alot too and it makes me wish they could hear what im saying under the helmet.

I ride both on the street and I get more harley guys wave to me when I am on the XR than when I am on my harley! It probably has to do with MX and freestyle going mainstream.And the fact that H-Ds are more mainstrem now than they ever were. Most Harley guys love dirt track and moto. I have a fond memmory from Broome-Tioga in 98 a bunch of bikers were standing on the hill going nuts Guys who for? Doug Henry on the white works 4 stroke #20 they were going nuts for him they loved the sound of that bike it was the only $str there.My times have changed.

• Thumpmeister

Posted October 27, 2007 - 10:47 AM

Yeah, thats why I love riding my Ruckus around. Talk about no acknowlgement! I've only been waved at twice, and both times were guys on crotch rockets! And when I stop, they seem to be the ones that are most interested in it too...

As for the subject on the thread, I have to agree with what Billahjack originally said on the subject...

• InternalCombustion

Posted October 27, 2007 - 11:26 AM

I've owned and happily rode beaterbikes, when that's all I could afford and I've owned bikes that cost more than my first home. I enjoyed each and had a blast on every bike I ever had.

Happens to be I'm blessed at the moment and have some nice bikes. But that doesn't matter. When I'm riding any bike I wave to anyone, especially kids on bicycles, and guys that happen to be on beaterbikes.

God gives and He takes away (or oftentimes our own stupidity takes away), so I try not to look down or be critical of any bike or rider, even the ones who don't wave back. I just try to enjoy the moment.

Some of the meanest-looking, crustiest guys I ever saw turned out to have the biggest hearts, once you got to know them. Judging your fellow man is an exercise in futility, at best.

• ryontd

Posted October 27, 2007 - 12:05 PM

I think alot of you guys are taking this WAY to serious. The guy was just having some fun, riding his BRP and the guy on the HD whips out to give him some grief and probably was just having some fun also. He was not bashing HD, and he was not saying he was the greatest rider in the world. This is a XR650 forum where Ferdinand thought he could enjoy telling us about his little bit of fun- which personally I think is Cool, I know I got a laugh. So for those of you who have totally taken this thing and made it a personal thing- quit bein a bunch of pussys and go ride instead of bitching at a guy who was out there having some fun.

• bigredxr

Posted October 27, 2007 - 12:47 PM

I've been rding motorcycles just after I could ride a bicycle and I personally never cared for Harley's. I have nothing against them other than they used to charge and maybe still do? What I considered an outrageous amount of money for old technology. They seem to be correcting that with the addition of better engine harmoincs, better fueling (EFI), and recently the addition of available ABS. I personally would like to have the latest race technology and engineering applied to my motorcycle for the best engine, brakes, handling, and durability for my dollar spent. With that said I believe the gentleman who created this post just had a feel good moment and wanted to pass it along. If we were all sitting around a bar having a beer telling stories I'm sure we would my self included have a feel good story involving our motorcycles. I would rather wave @ someone on any make of motorcycle than not even think twice about passing and waving @ some other guy driving our 4 wheeled boxes.:worthy:

• percyco

Posted October 27, 2007 - 01:10 PM

Here in Western NY there are tons of charity motorcycle rides, Toys for Tots, Camp Good Days and many smaller local events helping out sick kids, wounded soldiers and police officers to name a few. Every event I have ever attended, about 80% of the riders are on H-D's . It has always been my opinion that true H-D haters are jealous one track mind sorta folks. Most H-D folks I have ever met are very generous kind hearted folks that love the motorcycling hobby.

P
2001 BRP
2003 Yamaha TTR125
2003 Buell XB9S
1991 H-D

• The Italian Stallion

Posted October 27, 2007 - 01:28 PM

I think alot of you guys are taking this WAY to serious. The guy was just having some fun, riding his BRP and the guy on the HD whips out to give him some grief and probably was just having some fun also. He was not bashing HD, and he was not saying he was the greatest rider in the world. This is a XR650 forum where Ferdinand thought he could enjoy telling us about his little bit of fun- which personally I think is Cool, I know I got a laugh. So for those of you who have totally taken this thing and made it a personal thing- quit bein a bunch of pussys and go ride instead of bitching at a guy who was out there having some fun.

Don't get me wrong I was not bashing on the guy.I do it myself on my own XR ! I do 5th gear wheelies past the ex pres of Canadas oldest mc club the Red Devils [my father] and I get a laugh out of the look on his face though he dos't find it to humorus.I am just sick of hearing the same stupid cmments from Harley bashers.The pipes are to loud they sound like shit, what kind of a bullshit statement is that.If you like the sound of a 4str MXer how could you lnot like the sound of a H-D with that V-twin gallope? or there slow and outdated. Ask yourself this do I need to go more than 120mph on the street? with cars? women and asian drivers? DO I need to dress like buck rodgers to go for a ride? and foget about the possers and what peaple look and dress like ther is an A..hole born everyday and he probablly is going to buy a 4*4 that will never see the dirt or a big pick up truck to add inches to his d..k you know what I mean? Lastly I thought most americans are patriotic ? lets not forget perl harbor hah?

• Big Red Paul

Posted October 27, 2007 - 04:51 PM

One of my favorite lines by Robert M. Pirsig is:

The past cannot remember the past. The future can't generate the future.
The cutting edge of this instant right here and now is always nothing less than the totality of everything there is.

I thought one of the Harley credos was, 'Be Here And Now', which is similiar to Pirsig's existential lines.

Be here and now, there is no place I would rather be than on this (Harley) bike, right here and now. The idea is not to gun the bike as fast as possible into the future, but to drink in the delicious present.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • InternalCombustion

Posted October 27, 2007 - 07:25 PM

One of my favorite lines by Robert M. Pirsig is:

The past cannot remember the past. The future can't generate the future.
The cutting edge of this instant right here and now is always nothing less than the totality of everything there is.

Sounds like Indian Larry. A lot of people thought Indian Larry was crazy, but he wasn't.

He once said, "What works best for me is just roll with the mystery. Just let it unfold and try to be happy."

His mantra was, "Stay in the moment."

We all tend to spend too much time worrying about things that just don't matter that much, instead of just living. And riding.

Ride safe, all.

• The Italian Stallion

Posted October 28, 2007 - 03:56 PM

Big Red Paul. Internal Combustion.You guys got it all togeter.You guys are the real deal.But you no that already.Live a long enjoyable life gentalmen.:worthy: :worthy:

• InternalCombustion

Posted October 29, 2007 - 04:37 AM

[quote name='Big Red Paul']I can tell you some eXtRaordianary stories of Triumphs if you like ?

My first bike (a million years ago) was a '68 Bonneville. Man I wish I still had that bike, although relaibility-wise, it could not hold a candle to almost any "modern" bike.

It was sweet, just the same.

• Big Red Paul

Posted October 29, 2007 - 04:59 AM

InternalCombustion, more info on the Bonney, please. You can't just say you owned a Bonneville, and not elaborate, it just isn't cricket !! Pics ?

Well, if I had a pound sterling for every person I have heard say, 'I used to own a _______, man I wish I still had that bike', I would be a rich man.

I have owned some good bikes, and some real junkers in my life, I regret getting rid every single one of them.

• Big Red Paul

Posted October 29, 2007 - 05:02 AM

jason susi, thanks for nice compliments, it's not often i get those !!
Much appreciated.

• InternalCombustion

Posted October 29, 2007 - 05:13 AM

InternalCombustion, more info on the Bonney, please. You can't just say you owned a Bonneville, and not elaborate, it just isn't cricket !! Pics ?

Well, if I had a pound sterling for every person I have heard say, 'I used to own a _______, man I wish I still had that bike', I would be a rich man.

I have owned some good bikes, and some real junkers in my life, I regret getting rid every single one of them.

Just sent you a PM.

• Motosprtman

Posted October 29, 2007 - 05:25 AM

I've owned and happily rode beaterbikes, when that's all I could afford and I've owned bikes that cost more than my first home. I enjoyed each and had a blast on every bike I ever had.

Happens to be I'm blessed at the moment and have some nice bikes. But that doesn't matter. When I'm riding any bike I wave to anyone, especially kids on bicycles, and guys that happen to be on beaterbikes.

God gives and He takes away (or oftentimes our own stupidity takes away), so I try not to look down or be critical of any bike or rider, even the ones who don't wave back. I just try to enjoy the moment.

Some of the meanest-looking, crustiest guys I ever saw turned out to have the biggest hearts, once you got to know them. Judging your fellow man is an exercise in futility, at best.

AMEN!

• Esrum1

Posted October 29, 2007 - 02:49 PM

Being an HD and 650R owner myself, I can only see so much fun in blasting a Electra Glide from one stoplight to the next . . . .

However . . . . I think it's tons of fun to smoke 19 year olds and their Ford Mustang GTs or their "Super-Winged" Imprezas . . . . on a DIRT BIKE!!

• craig hammon

Posted October 29, 2007 - 03:17 PM

I roasted a hog the other day on my 650l equiped with surfboard rack. I was cruseing the coast after a surf session. I had a board in my rack, sandals on,wetsuit and no shirt. this guy on an obnoxiosly load hog split trafic to pull next to me. He took off like he was going to blow my doors off. I opened her up caught and passed his shiny chrome bike:p . at the next light he took off a lot slower:bonk:

• InternalCombustion

Posted October 29, 2007 - 03:24 PM

Being an HD and 650R owner myself, I can only see so much fun in blasting a Electra Glide from one stoplight to the next . . . .

However . . . . I think it's tons of fun to smoke 19 year olds and their Ford Mustang GTs or their "Super-Winged" Imprezas . . . . on a DIRT BIKE!!

Ditto.

Speaking of, anybody with an uncorked R ever clock their bike in a full-on quarter mile? I'm guessing low 13's or maybe high 12's, maybe quicker?

Yes? No?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.