2005 XR650l PCV remove? smog removal kit

8 replies to this topic
  • HBXR650

Posted October 25, 2007 - 05:24 PM

Just bought the smog block off kit from Xr's Only and the copy for the instructions that came with the parts really suck! I think I got it all done right but I'm confused about where it says to remove the PCV valve. I'm I suppose to remove the entire thing? I still have the large aluminum plug and one of the rubber caps left in the kit. Has anyone done the smog block off kit on a 2005 XR650L that can help?

• martinfan30

Posted October 25, 2007 - 08:27 PM

ya i have an 05 and the directions do suck. check this out...

http://www.4strokes....?TOPIC_ID=16361

and this...

http://www.4strokes..../honda/xrlsmog/

• HBXR650

Posted October 28, 2007 - 07:53 AM

Thanks for the links. I knew it was in one of the forums I was reading but didn't save it in my favorites. Now I need to do the carb mods.

• Cobalt650

Posted October 29, 2007 - 03:49 PM

I just purchased a new 2007 XR650L. What benefits are realized by removing the smog equip?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted October 29, 2007 - 04:02 PM

Don't toss your smog crap. The day may come when it gets checked for and while it would suck to have to install it again, it would suck more to have to buy it again.

I don't own a 650L , but I think that the main impact is weight. It doesn't weigh a lot. It has no performance hit. More or less the same for the charcoal cannister. It might cause some issue in a crash should it fill with gas.

• martinfan30

Posted October 29, 2007 - 06:47 PM

cleonard is right. the biggest effect is weight and unsightliness. with a small impact on decel "popping" through the exhaust.

• maverick152

Posted October 29, 2007 - 09:05 PM

cleonard is right. the biggest effect is weight and unsightliness. with a small impact on decel "popping" through the exhaust.

Hi, new here. Just got a new '07 650L myself. When you say "impact on decel popping", do you mean less or more? This is my first thumper and I wasn't sure if the decel popping was normal. I'm used to using engine braking on street bikes, but I find myself doing it less on the xr because of the excessive popping. Is there any reason for concern? Thanks, Mahi.

• martinfan30

Posted October 29, 2007 - 09:11 PM

Hi, new here. Just got a new '07 650L myself. When you say "impact on decel popping", do you mean less or more? This is my first thumper and I wasn't sure if the decel popping was normal. I'm used to using engine braking on street bikes, but I find myself doing it less on the xr because of the excessive popping. Is there any reason for concern? Thanks, Mahi.

no reason for concern... unless you want it to run cooler and get rid of the popping.

by removing the smog equip. you will help that prob. slightly. by rejetting with "Daves mods" or a dynojet kit you will ELIMINATE the popping and get more power plus run cooler. all this with a foam air filter and a slip on exhaust pipe will make a complete different machine power wise.

• Denn10

Posted October 30, 2007 - 09:42 AM

do yourself a favor and just remove it and keep it tucked away, i doubt in the next few years you will have to reinstall it. i got mine and it was all removed and i dont have the parts but im not worried one bit about that.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.