02 yzf426 header red hot?

21 replies to this topic
  • Ross chan

Posted October 25, 2007 - 11:08 AM

Bike runs fine, I let it idle for about one min and the exhust header from the cylinder is glowing hot, might it be to rich or lean, how could I fix this problem any help would be great thanks a million.

• crf250rileyracer

Posted October 25, 2007 - 11:15 AM

the exhaust is supposed to do that and is normal, it just means it is very hot

• Racer808

Posted October 25, 2007 - 11:16 AM

Bike runs fine, I let it idle for about one min and the exhust header from the cylinder is glowing hot, might it be to rich or lean, how could I fix this problem any help would be great thanks a million.

Oh boy, you are gonna chewed out for posting this. Been answered a million times. It is totally normal for the header to glow, when you are not moving the header doesnt have a chance to cool. Freaked me out the first time my 426 started doing it in my garage one evening when I was working on it. But its normal, now go ride it!!!

• jeffgg

Posted October 25, 2007 - 11:23 AM

:crazy: Warning...sarcastic reply.:D

Three things come immediately to mind after reading your post:

1) Search the forum and you will find that this is a common occurance when you let a 4st idle. You are the latest of a never ending string of people who have asked this question.

2) The bike is a few years old. My quess is that it otherwise runs fine, so this is not a problem; as long as you don't let it idle for more that a few minutes. Water cooled 4st's don't like to idle for prolonged periods.

3) Like the old joke; Patient - "Doctor, my arm hurts when I do this!" Doctor- "Don't do that!".

Bikes are ment to be ridden, not looked at while idling (I'll bet it was indoor too).

• WB450

Posted October 25, 2007 - 02:26 PM

I was caught off guard when my 07 did the same thing, but I was lucky enough to see a thread about it so I didn't have to get the ass chewing that usually comes with this question

• BRP-rider

Posted October 25, 2007 - 02:30 PM

I have a 2000 426 and if you let it sit and idle the header does not become glowing hot. If your bike sits and idles and the header becomes almost red hot, you are running to lean or your ignition timing is advanced too much.

• WB450

Posted October 25, 2007 - 02:39 PM

I have a 2000 426 and if you let it sit and idle the header does not become glowing hot. If your bike sits and idles and the header becomes almost red hot, you are running to lean or your ignition timing is advanced too much.

Get a titanium head pipe and see if it gets hot.

• grayracer513

Posted October 25, 2007 - 04:07 PM

Ignition timing is not adjustable, in the first place, and in the second, exhaust heat is elevated by retarded timing, not the other way 'round. If someone has disconnected the neutral switch on your '00, and/or replaced the header with a stainless one, it will be less prone to it than it was when stock. It should be noted that under normal circumstances, the header will glow in about 90 seconds of idle time, but may not be seen as glowing unless you are in a lower light situation, like twilight, or your driveway at night.

It's only abnormal if it glows red in full sunlight, in which case, it will probably exhibit some other symptoms of being too lean (say, from a stuck hot start, running very poorly) along with.

• 642MX

Posted October 25, 2007 - 05:22 PM

It's only abnormal if it glows red in full sunlight, in which case, it will probably exhibit some other symptoms of being too lean (say, from a stuck hot start, running very poorly) along with.

Lets see a picture of the abnormally hot pipe....:crazy:

• grayracer513

Posted October 25, 2007 - 06:46 PM

Well, let's see, there's this one:

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted October 25, 2007 - 07:12 PM

Yep. Thats a good example of a pipe thats too hot. :crazy:

• jayh300

Posted October 26, 2007 - 05:52 AM

that picture makes me laugh hard every time..... get the dogs and marshmellows ready !!!!!

• King_Air

Posted October 26, 2007 - 07:51 AM

I blame global warming for my glowing header.

• Ga450owner

Posted October 26, 2007 - 08:54 AM

I blame global warming for my glowing header.

and I keep thinking that Glowing headers cause Global warming........:crazy:

• Racer808

Posted October 26, 2007 - 10:11 AM

and I keep thinking that Glowing headers cause Global warming........:crazy:

I used to worry about my dogs glowing red header, then my mother explained it to me, what a relief

• rdefonce

Posted October 26, 2007 - 01:06 PM

Lots of good humor in this thread, wa wa wa.:-)))

Actually I noticed that my old reliable '99 YZ's header glowed less after I jetting it richer (richer pilot, fuel screw setting) since it was so lean stock.

Also bigger main jet (180) and one clip richer on needle really helped it run better at my low altitude (500 ft) but that would not affect the "glowing" any.

• sirthumpalot

Posted October 26, 2007 - 04:22 PM

Every time I see that picture it cracks me up! Especially the LP tank front bumper!

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted October 26, 2007 - 07:54 PM

Glad I read this post. I thought there was something wrong with my 426...

:worthy: - RCD

• MichiganMXer

Posted October 28, 2007 - 04:43 PM

Dude I've got an 01 that runs like the day I bought her off the showroom floor and the header has turned red since that day. Your response could get people tearing up their bikes when its perfectly normal for the head pipe to get hot.

• scalejockey

Posted October 29, 2007 - 07:05 PM

They do get hot.. but how fast is it getting to this red stage 2 minutes from cold or 6 minutes? I worked on 450 with a carb that had it's slide plate put in up side down. (The flat side goes down) but the result was it would get hot real fast. ..and run a little crappy.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.