07 450 valves

2 replies to this topic
  • trailsweep

Posted October 25, 2007 - 06:11 AM

Ok, I was racing a HS and plugged the filter on my 450 ,change the filter and don't know how but the bottom didn't seat all the way and got a little dust in the air box.Soo I checked the carb and the slide and it didn't seem to have any sandy grit feeling to it,nothing visible and not to bad.Completely tore the carb apart and had nothing in the bowl and nothing was plugged with dirt or anything.Well I checked the vavles and it seems that the intake side is tight...I can get an .008mm under the valve but not the .010mm that it says that it needs and I don't have a .009mm.The 8 feels kinda loose but the 10 won't go....soo does anyone think that the dust had anything to do with this and should I be worried or do a complete tear-down or just adjust the valves and go? The bike has about 60 hrs and oil and filter was change at 5hr intervals after break in and the bike still sounds and runs fine...this sucks so any sug. would be great...thanks:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 25, 2007 - 06:50 AM

If it's all 3 intakes, I'd try another feeler gauge first. Grab an English 0.004" and try that.

If they turn out tight, then shim them into spec and re-check them after each of the next couple of rides. If they were damaged, they'll keep sinking. If they have simply settled into the seats since new, the clearance will remain stable.

• trailsweep

Posted October 25, 2007 - 04:46 PM

Ahh cool...I'll do that and see what happens...thx for the quick response..

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.