HELP! Stripped compression guide bolt

12 replies to this topic
  • Bryan

Posted March 24, 2002 - 07:59 AM

I NEED THUMPERTALK HELP!
I stripped the guide bolt for my compression release after re-installing it after a valve adjustment. It's HOSED baby!
I've been reading all the AWESOME posts about stripped bolts on ThumperTalk and see that many people either use a heli-coil or threaded insert. But I don't know what kind to order?
Locking? Thick? Thin? Blue? Purple? (just kidding about the blue and purple). There are so many to choose from and I have NO idea what to order. Also, do I need an installation tool? Can I order from the internet or can I find a place here in Denver to help me? When I drill out the existing threads, how can I clean out the metal shavings adequately?
The bolt is an M6 but I'm not sure how long or what thread type it is.
HELP?
Thanks,
Bryan in Denver...

• freestyle111

Posted March 24, 2002 - 09:06 AM

a while back i stripped same bolt.i tried fixing it using loctite but it didnt hold.i ended up fixing it with a heli-coil.i've have about 20 hrs. riding time since heli-coil and havent had any problems.i suggest you buy heli-coil kit[not just heli-coils]kit includes drill bit,tap,heli-coils and heli-coil installation tool.kit is about $25.the only problem i had was finding heli-coils in metric sizes.you need m6 x1.25pitch heli-coils.

• YZ400Court

Posted March 24, 2002 - 10:53 PM

I did the same. I went to a bolt supply house (industrial fasteners), they had the kit. The only hint of a problem was the helicoil was a little long and hit the comp release arm. I removed the helicoil and put another on a little shaoolwer and have had no problem.

• Bill

Posted March 24, 2002 - 11:58 AM

Hey Dude,

Do as suggested and get the whole kit. When drilling out the hole, you can put lot's of grease on your drill bit, this will help collect the shavings. You might also try and tape some fuel line to your shop vac and try to suck out what's left. Then a promt oil change after starting and running the bike for a little bit.

Glad to see ya around.
Bill

• Dougie

Posted March 24, 2002 - 12:01 PM

I think I stripped mine last year. When I put it back in, it felt like it was stripped. It never seated up well. That is the main reason I haven't done my valves lately. I'm afraid to take that bolt back out.

• Bryan

Posted March 24, 2002 - 01:25 PM

Thanks guys.
Hey Dougie, didn't I see that you used a Heli-coil for some other stripped bolt? Where did you get the heli-coil in the Denver area?
I've been looking around on internet sites, but many don't sell metric for less then 8mm. I need a 6mm. Not sure of the length.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Moto-Mike

Posted March 24, 2002 - 02:39 PM

I also stripped this bolt however there was enough thread to reinstall it with a generous amount of lock-tite to hold it in hopefully permanetly. You can take apart and reinstall the decompression mechanism without touching this bolt by first releasing the cable at the lever and then putting the barrel in the pivot arm and then tightening the bolt that holds the bracket to the engine. I just have to be sure I use this method in the future...Just realized that the shaft will have to come out to get to that one shim hopefully it will stay in spec for a long time!

[ March 24, 2002: Message edited by: Moto-Mike ]

[ March 24, 2002: Message edited by: Moto-Mike ]

• freestyle111

Posted March 24, 2002 - 02:48 PM

i bought m6 heli-coils at K-119 [650]588-0160 www.k119.com.

• Dougie

Posted March 25, 2002 - 08:18 AM

I got mine at my father in law's True Value.

• Bill

Posted March 25, 2002 - 03:13 PM

Dougie is spamming, DANGER, DANGER :) :D :D :D

Bill

• Bryan

Posted March 26, 2002 - 05:07 AM

That's what I thought too Bill, but Dougie didn't supply any phone numbers or link information. Sounded like free advertising! :) (just kidding Doug).
Actually, KerryT stripped the same bolt last year and bought a heli-coil to fix it. He still has some extra's so I can do my fix for FREE baby!
KerryT: You da man!

• Dougie

Posted March 26, 2002 - 07:46 AM

Now hang on, I never mentioned that the True Value was located on Iliff and Buckley did I? :)

Is this a case of poor design? Sounds like a lot of us are stripping this bolt. But then again, I have about 95% of my bolts stripped on this thing. :D

• Chaindrive

Posted March 26, 2002 - 07:35 PM

Bryan, any experienced 50cc Dad will have a 6mm kit in his toolbox :) ! Know any? (damned Motori Morini engines). I get mine, SAE & metric at Napa. The really cool thing is they are far stronger than the original hole. The different thicknesses just depend on how bad the damage is and how big you need to drill the old hole out. If in doubt, ANY competent machine shop can do it for you with ease. Good luck and THANKS! :D Scott

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.