250f or 450f?

7 replies to this topic
  • soudry

Posted October 24, 2007 - 04:07 PM

i'm 6'2 220-230(it varies between hollydays) i'm an ok rider, and ride only track with plans of racing next year
will the 250 feel soft, small, slow?
compared to the 450?

• LoneRanger171

Posted October 24, 2007 - 04:13 PM

Go with the 450 dude. I'm only 158 riding a 450 now after years of being on a 250f and am totally comfortable on it. The 250f was a blast and I may have had a little more "fun" on it since I revved it out further but I don't miss that part when I'm passing 450s' on straights I could never get them on before.

• yzfrider67

Posted October 24, 2007 - 05:37 PM

since im pretty much the same size as you i would most definately get the 450 if i was you. i have one and i love the power on the track. i myself am only a decent rider, but the power makes up for a lot of rider error. the only place a 250f would be better is in woods where you cant walk between trees, but 4 mx i would go fo-fitty all the way.

• 52wheelz

Posted October 24, 2007 - 07:05 PM

I'm 190 and have had both. You will regret not getting the 450 unless you want to go slow and never be able to climb any big hills. The 450 feels like a cheater bike as it makes everything easier.

Only buy a 250 is you are inexperienced or a beginner rider.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted October 24, 2007 - 07:14 PM

At 6'4" and 230 lbs. I can tell you that my wifes 250F is fun to ride.......for a little while. It works too hard to haul me around and it doesn't have the punch to get me over tricky obsticles. It will however, go up any hill I've pointed it at. My wife used to fall on occasion and I'd have to climb a hill for her. Its been awhile since she's had trouble, but I'm sure it will still pull me up anything.

Get the big bore. Lots of power, less maintenance since your probably not going to be on the rev-limiter, and more fitting for a guy your size. :crazy:

• soudry

Posted October 24, 2007 - 07:44 PM

450 it is.. i'm going to pick it up friday

• neevothespaniel

Posted October 25, 2007 - 03:25 AM

less maintenance since your probably not going to be on the rev-limiter

Thats one of the main reasons I went with the 450. Plus the power is really manageable. Its not scary unless you really grab a fistfull of throttle.

Its a bike that can ride like a 250 but has plenty of grunt in reserve if needed.

• Justin89

Posted October 25, 2007 - 10:33 AM

Thats one of the main reasons I went with the 450. Plus the power is really manageable. Its not scary unless you really grab a fistfull of throttle.

Its a bike that can ride like a 250 but has plenty of grunt in reserve if needed.

Exactly!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.