looking at a "raced" 07 YZ450

10 replies to this topic
  • kevin1209

Posted October 24, 2007 - 11:15 AM

I found an 07 YZ450 for sale. The seller claims less than 20 hours on the bike, and said he rode it in 5 MX races. My question to all of you is: how much damage could have been done to this bike in such a short time? I can buy it for $4,000. It sounds like a great deal, and I really want to upgrade from my '98 YZ400. But I don't want to buy it, then spend $$$ fixing it. I need your opinions. What kinds of problems could I be in for if I take the risk and buy it?:crazy:

• 917 rider

Posted October 24, 2007 - 11:22 AM

I found an 07 YZ450 for sale. The seller claims less than 20 hours on the bike, and said he rode it in 5 MX races. My question to all of you is: how much damage could have been done to this bike in such a short time? I can buy it for $4,000. It sounds like a great deal, and I really want to upgrade from my '98 YZ400. But I don't want to buy it, then spend $$$ fixing it. I need your opinions. What kinds of problems could I be in for if I take the risk and buy it?:crazy:

that sounds like a great a deal almost to good.the yami has a bulletproof valve train so you shouldnt have to worry about that.See if he has service records i allways keep mine.If not just look the bike over really good and use your better jugdement its a great bike hope you get it:thumbsup: :D

• Climber

Posted October 24, 2007 - 12:05 PM

What level of rider is he? Is the an AMA inspection sticker on it?

• KJ790

Posted October 24, 2007 - 12:33 PM

I would rather buy a raced bike than one that wasn't raced. A racer has a routine every week and therefore most do routine maintenance. Most racers also want the best performance out of their machine, so they will keep a fresh top end in it, and keep the valves adjusted. There is no excuse for not finishing a race due to poor bike prep. Guys that just ride tend to do that, just ride. They don't keep track of how long it's been since the valves were adjusted or the oil was changed, and they don't care if they are putting out 52hp or 51hp. and race bikes aren't ridden any harder. The bikes I practice on are always beat on way harder than my race bikes. "Never raced" is a meaningless statement in my mind, it adds no value to a bike, maybe even decreases the value depending on the owner.

Go off of the shape the bike is in and the shape of everything else the seller has. If he keeps everything he has looking good, odds are he has taken care of the bike. Bike abuse depends entirely on the owner, not on whether it has been raced or not.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted October 24, 2007 - 01:11 PM

Buy it now-as long as it starts.
I sold my 06 450 for 5K and I had about 40 hours on it including 2 1hour long Worcs races and two MX races. Still ran just as good as new. Man I miss my bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • almostinvincible119

Posted October 24, 2007 - 06:34 PM

my practice bike is more clapped out than the race bike. normally a person will ride their bike, if its the only one he has, more in practices than races. buy it. yamahas are pretty solid

• cnorton

Posted October 24, 2007 - 06:44 PM

I have 5 races on my 07 YZ450 and 2 short practice sessions, I race 2 classes at an intermidiate level, have 7.6 hours on my bike and it still looks brand new!!!

• mc250f

Posted October 24, 2007 - 06:52 PM

if a bike was raced, it really doesn't mean that much. what means the most is who and how it was maintained. i'd check to see how it was maintained. my 03 250f was raced before i bought it but was maintained by a professional mechanic. absolutely nothing wrong with the bike. i believe the valves are still stock, as well as the piston. and they look great. so really, don't be too concerned with it being raced. be concerned with how it was maintained.

• Justin89

Posted October 24, 2007 - 07:07 PM

Like the other guys said, check his other things too. Do the usual...check the air filter, oil exc. I have seen peoples faces when they don't check that stuff out before and get home, take off the seat, and see that the air filter is completely brown along with black oil. Never a good sign. I would buy it. Another way that you could check is by the wear on the cases. Not very accurate, I know, but still gives you "some" idea of how many hours are on it.

• todds924

Posted October 24, 2007 - 07:07 PM

I would rather buy a raced bike than one that wasn't raced. A racer has a routine every week and therefore most do routine maintenance. Most racers also want the best performance out of their machine, so they will keep a fresh top end in it, and keep the valves adjusted. There is no excuse for not finishing a race due to poor bike prep. Guys that just ride tend to do that, just ride. They don't keep track of how long it's been since the valves were adjusted or the oil was changed, and they don't care if they are putting out 52hp or 51hp. and race bikes aren't ridden any harder. The bikes I practice on are always beat on way harder than my race bikes. "Never raced" is a meaningless statement in my mind, it adds no value to a bike, maybe even decreases the value depending on the owner.

Go off of the shape the bike is in and the shape of everything else the seller has. If he keeps everything he has looking good, odds are he has taken care of the bike. Bike abuse depends entirely on the owner, not on whether it has been raced or not.

Check the wear on the clutch cover, stator cover and frame above the footpegs. You can tell by the wear on those items approx. how many hours the bikes been ridden. "never raced" is a useless statement. You can't go wrong for 4,000 in my opinion. You can tell by looks if a bike has only 20 hours on it.

• kevin1209

Posted October 25, 2007 - 08:03 AM

Someone beat me to it!!!:applause: I knew I should have jumped on it.:crazy: :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.