2008 Tenere

18 replies to this topic
  • martinfan30

Posted October 24, 2007 - 10:15 AM

There is talk of people petitioning Yamaha to bring this beuty stateside.
I f it were to happen, HONDA LISTEN CLOSE...
My 05 XRL, and my wifes 07 Shadow 750 are up for sale. I then walk down to Yamaha and will never look back! Wouldnt take much to convince my dad and riding buddy to do the same with their 01 and 07 XRL's.

http://www.advrider....ad.php?t=265147

• Denn10

Posted October 24, 2007 - 10:59 AM

thats gay looking, lemme know how much you want for your bike. Looks like a dakar bike nice but not my cup of tea.

• k12

Posted October 24, 2007 - 11:15 AM

nice bike but honda did the same thing years ago with the Transalp. The tires tell the whole story--cruiser/commuter, which could be worked into a capable adventurer, but never a trail bike. With a decent set of DOT knobbies, I might take it on some fire roads.

I'll stick with my 600R.

• cleonard

Posted October 24, 2007 - 11:35 AM

nice bike but honda did the same thing years ago with the Transalp. The tires tell the whole story--cruiser/commuter, which could be worked into a capable adventurer, but never a trail bike. With a decent set of DOT knobbies, I might take it on some fire roads.

I'll stick with my 600R.

I'm with k12. I use my 600R mianly for off road use with only occasional pavement. I run non-DOT knobbies. With only 8 inches of front suspension travel and weighing in at around 435 (full tank) it's not going to do well on the tight singletrack that I like so much. That really puts it into KLR650 territory. A 650L would run circles around it off road.

Now for a toy to drive back and forth to work...

• martinfan30

Posted October 24, 2007 - 11:38 AM

you're right, but like you said, for a commuter it would be great.

• ThunderChicken

Posted October 24, 2007 - 01:22 PM

Martinfan, let me know when you put your XRL up for sale.

• martinfan30

Posted October 24, 2007 - 01:33 PM

Martinfan, let me know when you put your XRL up for sale.

to be quite honest, i'm full of S***! i dont think i could get rid of it. i just ordered a hotcam for it even!:crazy:

• Manchu

Posted October 24, 2007 - 02:55 PM

I've got a deposit ready n' waiting on this mo'frackee. I've also been tracking it over at ADV as well.

As so many have already stated, it's not a replacement for the XRR or TE510, I don't think it's meant to be. What it appears to be, IMO, is a very capable long distance dual-sport with the proven water-cooled 660 motor, FI, counter balanced, modern displays, dual disc front brakes, 5.XX-gal. tank, and factory designed luggage system and other available goodies.

I would suspect that my XRL would have to move over as my 'go to' bike for the TAT, or mid-west to AK ride.

Just sayin.' :crazy:

• The Italian Stallion

Posted October 24, 2007 - 04:18 PM

What Yamaha needs to build is a WR650 with a high reving 5 vallve engine like the yzfs better yet put the rapter motor in it! and make the damn thing street legal right off the bat! this is the bike that the peaple want it is long overdue give it to us for f..k sakes!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gearloos

Posted October 24, 2007 - 07:16 PM

yuppers, a little to orange adventure tour for me
Oh and I think I remember Yamaha comming out with the 5 valve head like around early 80's.. so should be able to go in a d/s by now.. but look at the XRL!
$$$ is always the bottom line I guess. It sells, keep making it.

• bmeador

Posted October 26, 2007 - 12:38 PM

The 5 valve head has no advantage over 500cc than a 4 valve design, thats why they flip flop back and forth on the R-1's.

• Timmerz

Posted October 26, 2007 - 01:57 PM

It's really good-looking, no doubt there....but obviously a street bike more than anything else (sorry if I'm just repeating other comments, just thinking out loud) needs a high front fender, knobblier tires and a serious weight reduction to be anywhere near effective in ANY off-road situation...and a 22-liter gas tank under the seat?? There's some weight for ya! What's that, 7 gallons of gas? I don't know, like I say it's awful good-looking, but....

• weskc35k

Posted October 26, 2007 - 06:03 PM

We get the Tenere in Australia it is a shitbox,not that theres anything wrong with that.

• Timmerz

Posted October 26, 2007 - 10:32 PM

We get the Tenere in Australia it is a shitbox,not that theres anything wrong with that.

"Shitbox"? I'm assuming that's kinda negative? Never heard the term before, is why I'm asking...

• martinfan30

Posted October 26, 2007 - 10:34 PM

looks like it could be a fun commuter bike though.

• weskc35k

Posted October 26, 2007 - 11:49 PM

Think of it as an XT660 with basement parts and weird bodywork.

• themanoy

Posted October 27, 2007 - 09:50 AM

that tenere looks good but the only thing i don't like about it are the forks!! my old XR250 has bigger tubes than those!! :worthy:

• Willis24

Posted January 24, 2008 - 09:47 AM

So you are saying the 2008 XT660Z is already available in AU and you have ridden one?

• Smoke Eater

Posted January 24, 2008 - 10:47 AM

Hate it. The plastic Mad Max look is really unappealing.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.