Hotcams Decomp Cam install on 01 426

6 replies to this topic
  • beasleys

Posted October 24, 2007 - 10:07 AM

Installing a hotcams auto-decomp on my 01 yz426f. Question is what do you all do with the manual decomp assembly that is left on the motor. Is that where a decompression plug like they sell in the TT store comes from?

• jayh300

Posted October 24, 2007 - 10:48 AM

correct. and the bolt on the side that held in the lever holds in the plug.
be careful not to strip that bolt, I have heard it is pretty soft. watch your torque specs and sequence on the cam hold downs. put a new chain in if you have not in a while.
btw. did my 400 a while ago and love it. It will actually bump start now if you are prone to killing it and it runs better too.
jay

• grayracer513

Posted October 24, 2007 - 10:49 AM

You can leave it in place as long as the coil spring at the head/lever stays on too. Cleanest way to block it out is the TT Store decomp plug. Next, and cheapest is an 18mm cup plug (freeze plug) from an auto parts store.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beasleys

Posted October 24, 2007 - 12:25 PM

I have already stripped that bolt a previous teardown. Last time I just used some red gasket maker and kind of glued/tightended it as much as possible with out stripping it totally out. Is there a more permanent fix for this?

• Birdy426

Posted October 24, 2007 - 05:12 PM

I have already stripped that bolt a previous teardown. Last time I just used some red gasket maker and kind of glued/tightended it as much as possible with out stripping it totally out. Is there a more permanent fix for this?

Heli-Coil. Kit should cost about 20 bucks at Pep Boys or Auto Zone. Be sure to buy the right size drill. Do it with the valve cover off and pack the area full of grease and rags to catch the chips from drilling and tapping for the Heli-Coil.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted October 26, 2007 - 05:19 AM

Heli-Coil. Kit should cost about 20 bucks at Pep Boys or Auto Zone. Be sure to buy the right size drill. Do it with the valve cover off and pack the area full of grease and rags to catch the chips from drilling and tapping for the Heli-Coil.

last time i bought a helicoil kit it gave you the tap and told you which drill to use...if you read the destructions you'll do fine with that.

• beasleys

Posted October 27, 2007 - 03:10 AM

Done. thanks for the help. I rode the bike for the 30 minute break in period yesterday afternoon. Rechecked the valves and everything is good to go. Taking her for a real ride today.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.