Now I'm pissed off -> XR600 didn't start in middle of a ride

14 replies to this topic
  • cleonard

Posted October 23, 2007 - 09:45 PM

I had my bike fail to start in the middle of a 250 miles desert ride. It was running great right up to a gas stop. Filled up the tank, drank some water and when we saddled up to go, the bike would not start. It's normally a one kick starter. A little troubleshooting showed no spark.

I've started looking at it at home and the stator and the crank pickup look good. That narrows it down to the CDI or the ignition coil. Other than ohm checks is there any other way to check the coil? Does the wire from the coil to the plug ever go bad?

I guess that I should check the the wiring before buying anything.

• creeky

Posted October 24, 2007 - 04:30 AM

Bummer! The XR600s are notorious for stator problems due to heat, I would start looking there.

• scalejockey

Posted October 24, 2007 - 04:44 AM

ditto

• cleonard

Posted October 24, 2007 - 07:00 AM

The stator was the first thing that I checked. Not only is it the most likely failure, I have rewound the high voltage ignition coil my self. It really appears to be working. A voltmeter showed good resistance and voltage when kicked. A good test is a lightbulb. I connected a 40 watt 120V AC bulb and it lit up with vigorous kicking. I'm pretty sure that the stator is not the issue. I do have another known good stator so I'll probably try that after I eliminate everything else.

Same for the crank pickup. The resistance is good and I saw the pulses on the voltmeter.

That leaves the wiring, the CDI, and the ignition coil. I'll go over the wiring to make sure it's not something stupid like a broken wire or an always on kill switch.

I have another bike with a magneto ignition. I'm going to try the coil on that bike to see if I can get a spark.

• creeky

Posted October 24, 2007 - 08:46 AM

I apologize if you have, but have you tried a new spark plug?

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted October 24, 2007 - 08:49 AM

I had my bike fail to start in the middle of a 250 miles desert ride. It was running great right up to a gas stop. Filled up the tank, drank some water and when we saddled up to go, the bike would not start. It's normally a one kick starter. A little troubleshooting showed no spark.

I've started looking at it at home and the stator and the crank pickup look good. That narrows it down to the CDI or the ignition coil. Other than ohm checks is there any other way to check the coil? Does the wire from the coil to the plug ever go bad?

WHat went bad from the way you describe it is the windings on the stator that feed the ignitor coil. The two different ones on the stator that are wrapped in usually white plasticky stuff. What year is your XR600R? I have a stock stator for the early ones that I'll give you for the shipping cost if you want it. It has good pulser coils on it as far as I know.

• martinfan30

Posted October 24, 2007 - 08:52 AM

i occasionally have to repl. coil wires on older toyota's for going open, so i assume it could happen here too. does the 600 have the wire resistor like the L?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted October 24, 2007 - 09:10 AM

WHat went bad from the way you describe it is the windings on the stator that feed the ignitor coil. The two different ones on the stator that are wrapped in usually white plasticky stuff. What year is your XR600R? I have a stock stator for the early ones that I'll give you for the shipping cost if you want it. It has good pulser coils on it as far as I know.

I actually rewound my ignition coil on the stator when it failed about 2 years ago. Since it was my own work it was the first thing that I suspected. Form the testing that I have been doing it really looks like it is OK. It gives good voltage (60 to 70) when kicked.

It's a 93 and I also have a known good earlier style stator from a 90. I also have another crank position sensor that goes on the clutch side.

The CDI and coil I don't have. I'm going to try the coil on another Honda that also has a magneto ignition. If it's good it should spark.

• cleonard

Posted October 24, 2007 - 09:10 AM

i occasionally have to repl. coil wires on older toyota's for going open, so i assume it could happen here too. does the 600 have the wire resistor like the L?

Yes it does. I'm going to look at that tonight too.

• cleonard

Posted October 24, 2007 - 07:12 PM

I'm so pissed off. I checked everything, and all sure looked just fine. So I plugged it back together and it started first kick. I sure wish I had found something! Now I'll be paranoid of failure every time I ride it.

• martinfan30

Posted October 24, 2007 - 07:35 PM

i have this happen to me sometimes during an electrical diagnosis. there will be a customer complaint of a certain circuit not working. i will then run checks for volt drop, resistance checks up the yang. once i have the vehicle completely torn apart electrically, i will put it all back together and the circuit is normal! most of the time an issue like this comes down to the fit between the actual male/female pins in a certain connector. we have special tools that measure the gap of a female terminal to see if it contacts the male end correctly. these can be a REAL pain in the A****! it doesnt take much ...:D :crazy:

• pearblossomal

Posted October 24, 2007 - 07:51 PM

That would bother me.

Years ago I was riding the XR500R in one of those grand prixs that had a short pavement section. After an hour with one lap to go I was going down the straight pavement with 13-48 gearing totally wound out, it was slight downhill so who knows what RPM it was at. The bike just shut off like hitting the kill switch. Plenty of gas, would not restart. Got towed to the truck and no spark. Pulled the tank and checked all connections, put it back together and tried to start it with no luck. Drove home, unloaded the bike (6 hours later) and it started first kick. It never happened again and I've still got the bike as a backup.

• veetwo tls

Posted October 24, 2007 - 08:26 PM

i'm in the same boat.
ive had the bike in the shop 4 times EVERYTHING has been checked & 2nd last time EVERYTHING REPLACED.
the last time the bike had no spark it was at the shop for 2weeks it did,nt start once but after it fired everytime. ive had it home now for near 2 weeks i started the bike last friday it fired up & i let it run for 5-10 min & shut off i tried to start it again yesterday & now spark again. *** is going on.

like i said EVERYTHING has been replaced & checked & all read good ?????????

• gearloos

Posted October 24, 2007 - 08:47 PM

Another issue possibly overlooked is electrolysis. Over time dissimilar metals build up corrosion between them. This can be seen sometimes as a small (or large) resistance between the contacts on you dmm.(not always visible to the eye). The problem is; When diagnosing, if you disturb the contact by moving it slightly to get a probe in, you have fixed the problem by scraping off the corrosion or making a connection on a clean part of the surface.
I'm not saying thats what this was by any means, just another possibility.
And nope, I don't remember much more about it..causes, preventions etc.. been out of school too long .Or just getting too old?

• martinfan30

Posted October 24, 2007 - 10:12 PM

you can check resistance readings till blue in the face. that doesnt mean anything until voltage and current passes through a circuit... the LIVE circuit readings are what is important. how well a certain circuit can handle a load.

then again i am rambling and the wife wants me to go to bed, so nite all!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.