seller etiquette

if you sold a bike and the crankshaft stripped at the sprocket after 20 miles would you give them thier money back?

if you knew there was a problem and sold it without telling the unsuspecting buyer, you are morally obligated IMHO.

if you told them and they accepted the terms, its on the buyer.

this can be a sticky situation! if you had a "sold as is" document prepared, you are not obligated.

however, i would probably give the money back (minus parts cost for myself to repair and keep it). you dont know what they were doing to it when it went.

I had this happen to me on a XL600 I bought at the dealer over ten years ago.

I bought it sold as seen and the splines wore out in 25 miles.

The dealer payed half towards the new shaft and I fitted it myself.

if you knew there was a problem and sold it without telling the unsuspecting buyer, you are morally obligated IMHO.

if you told them and they accepted the terms, its on the buyer.

this can be a sticky situation! if you had a "sold as is" document prepared, you are not obligated.

however, i would probably give the money back (minus parts cost for myself to repair and keep it). you dont know what they were doing to it when it went.

+1

What was the advertised condition when you sold it?

if you sold a bike and the crankshaft stripped at the sprocket after 20 miles would you give them thier money back?

Depends.

My bikes don't strip at the crank, or experience other 'grenade' situations. The way I ride is with respect for physics, machinery, and people.

I do see other owners/riders beating the snot out of their junk.

It would be a hard pill to swallow to buck up for the new owner when you do not know how they were treating the bike.

Conversely, it would suck for the new owner if it was not abused, and the crank just "gave up the ghost" on him.

Very awkward situation from all angles.

On a side note, I recall a co-worker asking to borrow my travel trailer and claiming that "it would be in better condition when returned than when borrowed". Realizing that stupid situations can destroy friendships, I declined to loan it out. Turns out that the trailer they did borrow had some suspension breakage during the trip, and neither the borrower or the owner felt they should pay for the repairs. End result? No way to keep everyone happy. that relationship became sour.

One reason I do my best to avoid selling stuff to friends. Sh1t happens, and it can go downhill from there, and essentially not be anyone's fault.

Back to the topic---to me, used vehicles are sold "as-is", unless there's some extenuating circumstance like the seller put on the wrong size sprocket and it ate up the splines when ridden, etc...

Denn10 i did just that and he told me that we would work something out after I took it to a mechanic. I asked what he was willing to "work out" and he told me that he shouldnt promise to do anything until he knew what the problem was. I honestly dont think he knew it would happen but i was not abusing it. no offroad no clutch drops just a couple power wheelies.(how can you not?)

In Canada there is a rule somewhere that says if anything happens within 30 days you're obligated to return the person's money or split the cost 50/50, regardless of whether you stated the terms as being "as-is".

Car dealerships address this openly, curbsiders hope nobody knows about it...

yes where the front sprocket goes It is a 1988 XR600R that was converted to street legal

All bikes are prone to spline damage there from lack of maintenance. Mostly rust will be the culprit, but could also be a poor quality, (fitting), sprocket. On a 20 year old dirt bike, not uncommon. I could see this happening without any symptoms.