anyone have a desert tank on an 07?

37 replies to this topic
  • redswr

Posted October 23, 2007 - 08:39 PM

i'm looking for pics of a natural finish desert tank... anyone have one?

• camma83

Posted October 23, 2007 - 08:50 PM

deleted oops

• KennyMc

Posted October 23, 2007 - 09:30 PM

IMS 3.1 gallon. You have to use YZ shrouds with this.

Posted Image

• redswr

Posted October 23, 2007 - 09:33 PM

thanks... how's that mount on the front? looks like the screw is in there sideways...

• KennyMc

Posted October 23, 2007 - 10:02 PM

The lower piece of the bracket mounts to the frame just like the stock one. The upper piece wraps around the front of the tank. There is a screw on both sides of the tank.

The one issue is the petcock is now opposite. What I mean is the valve to turn the gas on with is now on the inside closer to the engine. I left mine that way but some people said all you need to do is get a petcock from an earlier model and it is back to being on the outside.

• redswr

Posted October 23, 2007 - 10:07 PM

ok cool... i usually leave my gas on so it wouldn't be that big of a deal. thanks again.

• tweav

Posted October 24, 2007 - 02:20 AM

I have a ims 3.1 gal tank also but mine is black . I bought a petcock off of a 06 wr from my dealer for 20 bucks .It faces the right way.

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 24, 2007 - 08:06 AM

The fit and finish is good on the tank, it works with most rad guards and the steering damper post clamp for my scott's had no issues bolting up with the tank.

The only problems I had / have - Petcock (got a different one from WR426, I think any steel framed era four stroke YZ/WR will work)

The YZ shrouds, especially left side for me will tend to "buckle" on a lay down or impact with something, the Unabiker guards tend to get pushed back... (YES I have bent my Unabikers :crazy: still a great guard but not indestructible) any way there seems to be some binding going on between the rear tank bolt and the lower rad bolt on the shroud and if so much as look at it wrong sometimes, it buckles. I have been trying different spacers etc... it's definitely something I can live with but I was hoping for a WR specific CLARKE... word is they will be out in a few months:thumbsup:

• redswr

Posted October 24, 2007 - 01:36 PM

I have a ims 3.1 gal tank also but mine is black . I bought a petcock off of a 06 wr from my dealer for 20 bucks .It faces the right way.

i'd like to see a pic of that one to if you could...

• KennyMc

Posted October 24, 2007 - 03:04 PM

I just checked the prices on Rockymountainatv for this tank. I got mine about 4 months ago for $199 no tax or shipping. They have had a price increase and they are now asking $247.99.:crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SID013

Posted October 24, 2007 - 03:10 PM

I was just looking at these on the Yamaha Australia website. Pics might help. 15.5 litres = 4.1 us gallons. You need to go to the bolt on accessories, choose the WR450 & view all.

http://www.yamaha-mo...x.asp?yshop.asp

Cheers from Oz :crazy:

• redswr

Posted October 24, 2007 - 11:41 PM

I was just looking at these on the Yamaha Australia website. Pics might help. 15.5 litres = 4.1 us gallons. You need to go to the bolt on accessories, choose the WR450 & view all.

http://www.yamaha-mo...x.asp?yshop.asp

Cheers from Oz :crazy:

wow... those are some big tanks! i'd like to keep my shrouds...

• tribalbc

Posted October 25, 2007 - 07:17 AM

SJMCDON Did you have your unabikers on before you put on the new tank/ shrouds? The unabikers torque my wr shrouds some as well though they don't buckle. I also had to do a little trimming on the bottoms of the shrouds.

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 25, 2007 - 07:49 AM

SJMCDON Did you have your unabikers on before you put on the new tank/ shrouds? The unabikers torque my wr shrouds some as well though they don't buckle. I also had to do a little trimming on the bottoms of the shrouds.

Yes I had them on before the big tank and I too had to cut a notch out of the lower corner on my WR shrouds....

• tribalbc

Posted October 25, 2007 - 10:10 AM

So you're saying the fit is worse with the YZ shrouds :crazy:

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 25, 2007 - 10:16 AM

So you're saying the fit is worse with the YZ shrouds :crazy:

Yep.....

• blackdog9

Posted October 26, 2007 - 09:48 AM

HERE´S MINE. RODE TODAY...FINE BALANCE IN TIGHT TURNS. NO COMPLAINTS SO FAR¡¡¡

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• tweav

Posted October 26, 2007 - 01:01 PM

I'm sorry I took so long . I did not have a image host.so here's my 07 with a black ims tank
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• redswr

Posted October 26, 2007 - 02:12 PM

cool, thanks.... now i don't know which one i want. i know i don't want to lose the shrouds so it won't be the 3.3 acerbis, i like the fact that with the clear you can see the fuel level, black always looks good... opinions on which one you think will look better on my bike anyone? thanks,
Posted Image
Posted Image

• tweav

Posted October 26, 2007 - 02:55 PM

I'm kind of liking the clear one now that i have seen one . but I wonder how bad it will look after a year or two . will it be yellowed?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.