Theft Prevention

51 replies to this topic
  • dmvmechanics

Posted November 15, 2007 - 12:10 AM

Thats exactly right. i bought a Shotty for the wife. i figured maybe she would rather use non lethal rounds, i told her about the bean bags and rubber pellets. She quickly stopped me and said "No No No, if they come in this house, i want 'em Dead." I was so proud.

• creeky

Posted November 15, 2007 - 06:17 AM

Unfortunately, if a thief is bent on getting your bike he will have the necessary equipment to get it. I install a hidden toggle switch and use a railroad padlock through the rear sprocket and around the chain. This pretty much deters the "hop on it and ride off" thief. If you want to carry a cable and padlock, you can cable the bike to a pole or fence or something.

• LeadDoggy

Posted November 15, 2007 - 06:24 AM

Hello everyone, I've been lurking around here for awhile trying to decide on what dualsport bike would be the best for me. I have decided to purchase a XR650L and have started combing craigslist, cycle trader, and the shops in my area. One of my biggest cocerns is theft prevention. I'm just wondering what people do to thier bikes or buy to keep thier bike from getting stolen when running errands around town. Any input would be appreciated. thanks

Any luck in the purchase of a XR650L yet?

• Doghouse_Riley

Posted November 16, 2007 - 02:36 AM

Rugged says:
"a glock in the hand beats a cop on the phone"

If someone tries to steal it from my yard, I will blast them, a TINY bit.

You live in CA? According to California state law you can NOT shoot somebody for stealing your property. :thumbsup: That'll get you an assault charge at best, murder at worst.:ride:

• Wild Turkey

Posted November 16, 2007 - 10:14 AM

Any luck in the purchase of a XR650L yet?

Not yet, I am going back and forth between a 650l and the 650r. There is a plated R on craigslist right now and there are no L's. I like the electric start that the L's have but I also like the fact that the R's are liquid cooled. :thumbsup:

• quicksilver

Posted November 20, 2007 - 06:37 AM

On a very realistic level one needs to evaluate where one lives for theft issues. If you live in a serious city or suburb outside one, you may have a real risk. But it is also important to note that the guys who steal bikes go for bikes that maintain re-sale value (HD, British bikes, etc). The same goes for people who part out most bikes; Jap bikes just don't hold value for the most part. That's NOT to say Jap bikes don't get stolen, by any means. It's just a percentage risk factor issue.

So the real pro who actually will go to any length to grab one will most likely go for a high re-sale bike to begin with. Kids go for dirt bikes or easy marks. I know that's a great generality but just re-read the past posts of what was stolen and by who.... That was the reason why many guys brought their bike inside the house back in the day.

A cut off switch and a strong lock will really stop most ride off clowns & kids. The guys who pick up a bike and use a truck most likely will pick a high re-sale target (or possibly an easy mark, too). The biggest problem comes from lengthy customization of a bike you love and have stuck a lot of $ and time into. That can't be replaced by insurance; they won't write a higher coverage for your time. trouble, & parts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rockjockey

Posted November 20, 2007 - 10:39 AM

You live in CA? According to California state law you can NOT shoot somebody for stealing your property. :thumbsup: That'll get you an assault charge at best, murder at worst.:ride:

That is not the case here in Texas.

• rdahl

Posted November 20, 2007 - 12:27 PM

Doesn't realy help for rides around town unless it's in the truck. This is my way of eliminating bolt cutters as a threat. The latches are spring loaded and swing forward out of the way when not in use. Whats that you say? Just un bolt the front wheel? Well yeah i guess that is an option, however trying to drag a 300+ lbs bike around with out a front tire is pretty difficult not to mention requires tools.

Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted November 20, 2007 - 01:05 PM

Not yet, I am going back and forth between a 650l and the 650r. There is a plated R on craigslist right now and there are no L's. I like the electric start that the L's have but I also like the fact that the R's are liquid cooled. :thumbsup:

theres no L's for sale for a reason!LOL!:ride:

• Rugged

Posted November 20, 2007 - 01:29 PM

actually, you CAN shoot someone in CA over property IF you do it right.

remember, for your self defense shooting to be legal YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE THAT A LIFE IS IN IMMINENT DANGER.

Just say that the theif had a pistol when he turned around and he pointed it at you. Oh, it was only pliers you say? I FELT HE HAD A GUN AND WAS ABOUT TO ASAULT ME.

your LEGAL reason for bringing a gun to check out the noise? BURGLARY is a felony, Larceny is a felony. YOU HAVE A LEGAL RIGHT TO MAKE A CITIZEN'S ARREST. you also, in California have a LEGAL RIGHT TO USE DEADLY FORCE AGAINST A KNOWN FELON WHO IS FLEEING THE SCENE OF HIS FELONY.

BUrglary is a strict liability offense. Is is "entering the dwelling house of another (or yard, garage, barn or chattels) in the night (common law usage includes the daytime here) for purposes of comitting a felony therin" (said felony being the larceny o f your bike)

SO after the person is already burglarizing your garage or porch (chattel means any part of the home that is attached, includes porches, balconies, etc) they are indeed a known felon, as they have committed one of the enumerated "dangerous felonies" (burglary), so, you may use DEADLY FORCE to PREVENT THE COMMISSION OF ADDITIONAL FELONIES. Such as assaulting you for coming to investigate.

LEGALLY DO-ABLE. Morally? If you feel in danger you should shoot first and sort the details later as long as you have a clear sight picture on an identified target.

It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by six

and yes, I went to law school in California. :thumbsup:

• Maroast

Posted November 20, 2007 - 01:34 PM

theres no L's for sale for a reason!LOL!:ride:

Yeah, thats because you typically have to pay someone to remove your junk :thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted November 20, 2007 - 01:47 PM

Yeah, thats because you typically have to pay someone to remove your junk :thumbsup:

not talking about suzuki now...:ride:

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.